Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How Do You Feel When You Wear A Hat?

Rittmeister

Familiar Face
Do you feel any different when you wear a hat? For example, do you feel more completely dressed? Do you feel different from others - in a good way, bad way? Does anyone agree that how we feel about our clothes - our emotional connection - is a big part of why we wear what we wear?

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
To me, a hat is like a wedding ring. It feels a bit strange a first, but before long, you feel that something is wrong if you've left the house without it.

Stan

A-List Customer
Yeah, what he said!

Lefty said:
To me, a hat is like a wedding ring. It feels a bit strange a first, but before long, you feel that something is wrong if you've left the house without it.

Hi,

Mostly, I feel hotter or cooler, depending on the time of year. In the winter, a felt hat keeps heat from escaping so rapidly from my head, so I feel warmer. Without a hat, I feel much colder.

In the summer, I feel cooler as a straw hat keeps the sun from hitting my head, and with the flow through of air coupled with my very short hair (I always wear a crew cut), I feel a lot cooler. Without a hat, I feel a lot warmer.

Now, those are physical feelings. Emotionally, I feel somewhat 'naked' without a hat on actually. It's like Lefty said....if I forget my hat, I feel like I left something behind I ought not to have.....

I also feel somewhat more protected, and not just from the elements. I suspect that feeling comes from all these years I've worn helmets both as a volunteer firefighter as well as during many forms of motorsport. A helmet is a hat with the additional purpose of keeping one's head in one piece. Not that a felt or straw hat can provide even one iota of such protection, of course. Chalk that one up to habit, I think.... :D

Later!

Stan

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I do feel more fully dressed with a hat. If I forget it in a public setting, I have that felling you get when dreaming about being in a crowded room without your pants.

shortbow

Practically Family
Ditto all the above. I still wonder at the vast majority of us peeps, that folks will take so much care, and spend so much money on their wardrobes, then leave off the most important element. It's just weird.

mwelch8404

Familiar Face
I wore hats frequently before joining the Navy at 17 right out of high school.

Time in the military (University after the Navy and then the Army) just "sealed the deal."

Hat = dressed.

No hat = undressed.

Outdoors, of course.

I very rarely wear ball caps, in fact I usually wear a Fed dlx unless it's an entire day in the desert sun (straw Stetson) or a day that I may trash a hat, then it's my old Stetson beater.

In fact, I probably commit several faux pas every week for fedora wear - I wear mine with Levi's and a T shirt, or even cargos and a polo.

I don't worry about shorts, sandles, etc. I very, very rarely wear either.

But of course I do NOT wear a Fed with swimming trunks...

Roadrunner

One of the Regulars
In a few short months I've gotten to the point where I don't feel dressed without it. Just yesterday I ran out while talking on the phone and realized once I was at the car that I had forgotten my hat! It felt strange to be walking around without it.

funneman

Practically Family
How do I feel?

Sometimes I think people are a little frightened of me when I'm wearing my hat. I like that. I'm only 5'7" and 150 lbs, so as you can imagine, I'm not used to people being scared of me lol , so I like it.

I had a few words with a nasty traveller at the airport in Philly one morning, until he turned around and got a good look at me in my Borsalino and all of a sudden he shut up! I liked that!

Sometimes I wear my black Lee with a black DB suit and Black pinstripe shirt and one of the ladies in the office says the outfit makes her afraid to look at me. :eusa_clap

On the other hand, some people seem to be extra polite. That's nice also.

funneman

Practically Family
Roadrunner said:
Just yesterday I ran out while talking on the phone and realized once I was at the car that I had forgotten my hat! It felt strange to be walking around without it.

I can't even count the number of time my Dad would jump out of our car and run back in the house to get a hat.lol

troy

One of the Regulars
I only started wearing hats a few months ago, but apparently I was born to be a hat wearer. I have forgotten my hat only one time since the day I started wearing, and I felt very under dressed.

When I put my hat on, I feel I have completed my outfit. I seldom see a man who I think looks better than I do if he doesn't have a hat. I could be wearing seersucker pants, my converse allstars and a t-shirt, and as long as I have my hat on, I look better than even the finest suits on the street. "Poor guy should really get a hat."

Hats On!

It is a rare thing for me to leave the house without a hat on.

What hat I wear is based on a couple of things:
do I have a style I wish to emulate,
what to I feel like wearing,
what will complement the clothes I am wearing,
and what is it I am planning on doing.

All of these questions are interlinked and once that list is gone over , I make my selection and don the hat of choice.

It is then I feel my wardrobe is complete.

So I might be doing yard work and select a hat accordingly.
I feel like an outback adventure - Akubra Bushman.
Flashback to the forties -
ETC.

The hat helps complete a look I aspire to and puts me in a good mood.

So if I am wearing a hat I usually feel good about myself.

univibe88

One Too Many
I feel like a man. In the 1950s, man of the house, anchor of my family, father knows best, classic style, dresses appropriately, martinis, scotch, cigars, always drives, doesn't ask for directions, changes my own oil, cuts my own grass, John Wayne, Steve McQueen, my dad, kind of way.

Unlike most of today's metro, trendy, cries at the movies, doesn't own a suit, wears shorts to a restaurant, mannerless, dependent, loud mouthed, ummmm...men?

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
"How Do You Feel When You Wear A Hat?"
By Emily Dickinson
[excerpt]
"Oh hat that rests upon my head
you are the thing without feathers
(never could stand those little feathers hat makers poked into the ribbon anyway).​

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
univibe88 said:
I feel like a man. In the 1950s, man of the house, anchor of my family, father knows best, classic style, dresses appropriately, martinis, scotch, cigars, always drives, doesn't ask for directions, changes my own oil, cuts my own grass, John Wayne, Steve McQueen, my dad, kind of way.

Unlike most of today's metro, trendy, cries at the movies, doesn't own a suit, wears shorts to a restaurant, mannerless, dependent, loud mouthed, ummmm...men?

When I cry at the movies I lift my hat off of my lap (well mannered) and cover my teary eyed face.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24