Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you shape a straw hat?

IndyBlues

New in Town
Hey folks, I searched around, and couldne't find anything on it, but is it possible to shape a straw fedora? I bought a cheap Straw fedora to use as a work hat, and I want to shape it a bit.
I'm not too concerned with the crown, although it could use a little tweeking, but the brim needs a little more flare.
Any help would be appreciated.
IndyBlues

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Depends on a lot

It depends on how much stiffiner is in the straw to make it hold it's shape. I once owned a Stertson$110 straw (great looking) that was hard as a plastic kids play pail.

The weave, quality of the straw, blah bla blaa.....you've no doubt heard it all.

Gentle shaping is always done with steam..very gentle. Reblocking requires the proper , well, blocks.

Depends HOW much you want to do,...re snap the brim, vs. re block a crown.

I'd send it to ART if it is a nice hat worth something.....

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
Steam and an iron are the weapons of choice with straw...I?Ǭ¥ve been working with them for 4 years now and I dare not do much more than a touchup myself...this is the work of experienced people...unless it is a cheapie!

IndyBlues

New in Town
Thanks for the info guys, it is appreciated.
It is definately a cheapie hat. I saw it at Target for $9.99, so it realy isn't worth much more than a work hat, as I intended it to be, although, it doesn't look half bad, and if I get the brim shaped, it'll even look presentable, lol.
I noticed that it is a one-size-fits-all hat, and it is a tad oped on the sides,but comfortable in front and back, at the sweatband.
If I push the sides of the crown against my head, the brim shape is awesome, I just need to get it to stay that way.
Any suggestions?
I tried putting a small piece of foam in hte sweatband at the front and back, but got limited results.
Sorry to waste your time on such a crappy hat, but I'm experimenting before moving up to the big boys.:)
Besides, I have an Optimo fedora on the way today(hopefully), and my next purchase will be a nicer straw.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Originally posted by IndyBlues
Th
It is definately a cheapie hat. I saw it at Target for $9.99,
I noticed that it is a one-size-fits-all ...crappy hat, but I'm experimenting

Besides, I have an Optimo fedora on the way

If you got it at Targe' the Famous French Store ;) then you have a decent wash-the-car-mow-the-lawn hat.

When you get yur OPTIMO...you won't want the crap hat. Except when the grass gets too tall.:D

IndyBlues

New in Town
Thanks guys, for all the advice.

Andykev, you were dead right when you said when I recieve my Optimo I won't want the crap hat.

Man these hats are beautiful! I spoke with Zohar about this hat, and he gave me a bunch of info about it, and it's care and maintenance. Thanks a bunch Zohar, for the info.

It's a beautiful chocolate brown that I actually bought used.
It's a great hat, and I'm still amazed at the softness of the felt.
Now I just have to make sure I don't wreck it. I'm not as hard on hats as some folks I've seen, but I like to wear them pretty regular, too.

Well, thanks again for the help, and I'll let you know how it fairs.
Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot