Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you store your hats?

indycop

I'll Lock Up
J.T.Marcus said:
I'm still working on the "Hat Cave."

P1040534.jpg
JT with that many hats you need one of those plastic owls perched up on the wall to scare away the moths!lol lol lol

jkingrph

Practically Family
For a temporary measure, I bought several of those thin metal over the door wreath hangers from the Christmas decorations accessories last Nov. They work great and at least give me a place to hang a few without holes in walls ect and give me time to think about a better solution. Actually in a dark hall they do not look too bad. I bent the wreath end out a bit to comform to holding a hat better, and on a few, bent door end to slip onto the top of an old Turkish wardrobe cabinet.

deanstuff

New in Town
New Hat Rack

I plan on building a custom case to display my hats this summer, but being impatient I just bought this hat rack until then. Fortunately I have a "Man Cave" and space to put it in. It can be set up to hold 24 hats, but I found the racks were tooclose together when all 6 levels were in place. I have it set up to hold 16 (just part of my collection), but I may re-drill the holes to provide for a spacing that will allow me to get 5 levels in comfortably.

The hats hang on rounded wire hangers, so the weight is distributed evenly across the width of the hat; however, I will likely wrap the sire in foam or pipe type insulation to provide more padding, make them more slip resistant and reduce the risk of dents. For now, I think this will work.

Rack3.jpg

Rack2.jpg

Rack3.jpg

indycop

I'll Lock Up
deanstuff said:
I plan on building a custom case to display my hats this summer, but being impatient I just bought this hat rack until then. Fortunately I have a "Man Cave" and space to put it in. It can be set up to hold 24 hats, but I found the racks were tooclose together when all 6 levels were in place. I have it set up to hold 16 (just part of my collection), but I may re-drill the holes to provide for a spacing that will allow me to get 5 levels in comfortably.

The hats hang on rounded wire hangers, so the weight is distributed evenly across the width of the hat; however, I will likely wrap the sire in foam or pipe type insulation to provide more padding, make them more slip resistant and reduce the risk of dents. For now, I think this will work.

Rack3.jpg

Rack2.jpg

Rack3.jpg
Cool!
put lights on it and your set for christmas!:D

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
My addiction has reached a new level...

So, after years of storing my hats on the side of a wall with the aid of "push pins" to keep them hanging, I finally have a hat stand. I found this one off of ebay for a pretty good deal ($50 total), and it holds up to eight hats. I'll rotate hats around throughout the season. I definitely like has this stand has an antique or vintage feel to it, all the while not being extraordinarily expensive.

hatrack1.jpg

hatrack3.jpg

hatrack5.jpg

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
J.T.Marcus said:
Update: I got energetic, and did some work, last week. Left side is mine, right side is my wife's.

P1040729.jpg

Now that's a cool shot, J.T.! :eusa_clap

How wide is that hallway? I've been considering doing something similar, but our hall is kind of narrow and I'm afraid the hats would get knocked down easily.

Regards,
Tom

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Counting only 18 fedoras and westerns, mine are kept in various places in various positions.

Some of my westerns are on a wall rack, hanging upside down. The fedoras, and some of the westerns, are kept in small stacks, never more than 4 high, with a turned up snap brim on the bottom, so none of the brims above it get damaged. Even so, all the stacks are on furnitire where at least the front edge can hang off, so as not to damage or alter the hang of the brim. When I stack them, I am always sure that none of the brims are touching anything. So far, in 20 years of doing this, I havent royally messed anything up.

Justdog

Practically Family
Hat rack

deanstuff said:

Rack3.jpg

Where did you get these and what is the make?

Daoud

One of the Regulars
HarpPlayerGene said:
:eek:fftopic:
Not to be critical, but to be helpful; the samurai sword replicas on your cabinet are displayed the way many people do it, but they are, in fact, upside down. The traditional way is to have them bow upwards. The concept is respect for the edge of the blade which is to be honored by facing up. Hope you don't mind me sharing this with you - and nice hats!!

Here you go, fellas- http://www.swordforum.com/ :D :D

Goose.

Practically Family
J.T.Marcus said:
Update: I got energetic, and did some work, last week. Left side is mine, right side is my wife's.

P1040729.jpg

The collection, manner of display/storage, and picture are individually (and collectively) too cool for school...:cool: :eusa_clap

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Tango Yankee said:
Now that's a cool shot, J.T.! :eusa_clap

How wide is that hallway? I've been considering doing something similar, but our hall is kind of narrow and I'm afraid the hats would get knocked down easily.

Regards,
Tom

Tom, Sorry to be remiss about answering your question. It looks like the hallway is 47" wide. (The house is a 1930's bungalow.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy