Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you store your hats?

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
I finally figured out how to attach a photo. This is my hallway, which houses part of my collection.
P1030749.jpg

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
How are they hanging? The first row is on coat and hat hooks. All the rest are just long finishing nails, set at an angle. But seriously, don't the rest of you guys have moth alarms?

Jerekson

One Too Many
I have a towel hook that works perfectly for storing a hat. I'll post pictures of it later.

That hook is usually reserved for my Akubra, being as I only have one...so, my Stetson sits on my desk under my computer, my Marathon sits on a bedpost, and my Jaxon sits (laugh) on top of a military pith helmet. They make great hat stands!!!

The rest of my hats are stacked on top of each other like in DumbJaw's post.

JCBurns

Familiar Face
Uh, J.T. can I just say...I hate you! LOL. Just kidding around. VERY nice collection you have there. And so very nicely displayed! I'm seriously jealous!

JCBurns

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I just finished making 2 more racks, needless to say, thanks to you all....I have them filled already. :D
That makes four (4) racks total. I made 1 of them vertical this time, I was running out of room to put them. [huh]

Racks007.jpg

I ran out of wood, so I had to use Pine on the vertical one on the left, also had to make it not as wide as the rest of them.

Racks006.jpg

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
bolthead, Looking good! Isn't it nice to see your hats at a glance, instead of having to rummage through boxes or a stack? You've got some good looking hats there.

Flieger

Practically Family
Finally! I've been putting this off for ages but last week I finished my own hat rack. It's a variant of Bolthead's vertical version.

I took a wooden strip (1½x3/8, 5 foot long) and attached dowels to it with wooden knobs (handles) on them. The whole thing was stained in cherrywood and finally coated vith varnish.

shelf01.jpg

shelf02.jpg

Flieger

duggap

Banned
Flieger, nice set up you got there. I like the knobs. They are just big enough not to cause a crease or bulge on the hat. Good work.:eusa_clap

PA Dancer

A-List Customer
First let me say you all have such wonderful collections of hats! They are truly beautiful.

I am starting to accumulate quite a few straw hats like the one in my avatar. Right now they are just sitting on my book shelf next to their matching purses. But I am thinking of a nice winter project of making some hat boxes.
I have cardboard, news paper, and plenty of flour from last winters baking.

I am ready for a paper mache project!

I was doing a little research on moths for all of you, and found some info on Farmers Almanac that might be a little helpful.

1. Moths will be repelled by strong smelling mothballs. However, herbs will do the same thing and smell better. Lavender, wormwood, cedar or patchouli along with a small amount of rosemary, cinnamon, cloves or tansy will work well. Mix any combination and place in the toe of a used stocking. Tie open end and hang in closet or place in a drawer.

2. Moths do not eat wool - they eat the food stains and perspiration left on clothes or blankets. Keep wool items clean and stored in sealed plastic bags or containers.

Some other tips I found besides mothballs and cedar (be sure to sand the cedar every now and then to keep the scent and oil at the surface) is Dried Mint Leaves. You can also combine dried lavendar with the mint leaves.
-Ann

Flieger

Practically Family
duggap said:
Flieger, nice set up you got there. I like the knobs. They are just big enough not to cause a crease or bulge on the hat. Good work.:eusa_clap

Thanks duggap, I had planned to use big, round, wood orbs but the only type I found was too expensive. Then I came across these kitchen knobs in a box over at my local thrift store and figured they would work just as fine... they did and they cost me almost nothing. :)

J.T.Marcus said:
Flieger, That set-up looks GOOD! And you have room for more.

Thanks J.T.M. I wish I had room for more but I don't. That open space to the right of my rack is reserved for the open door to my home "office". :eek:

PA Dancer: I don't have any moth problems here where I live but I'll use your tip on the 'herbal potpurri' in my closet just for the nice scent. :)

Cheers

/F

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy