Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you store your hats?

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
John in Covina said:
Hi Bud!

Nice hat rack, i was just wondering if you have a finish on the cedar? I was concerned about sap or voilatile aromatics staining a hat or box. Especially if the weather got hot.

Best regards

No John, just smooth sanded cedar boards. I would think that sealing them would negate the benefit of the cedar, except for the aesthetics.

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Now, what I'd like to see are hat cubicles designed specifically for hats that we could see the hats and just open a sliding glass door to get the hat out. That way, we can protect the hat from moths, see the hats and know that they are being stored properly. But this has been a creation of my own noggin and until I get to a wood shop where I can make it myself...it will stay an idea.

FG.

....now that's an interesting idea, for sure. Very imaginative. :eusa_clap

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
EricH said:
Rick, I'm sadly a 7 3/8ish and as all of us know here. It ain't the best size to be collecting.

Looks like you ain't havin' no trouble! :eusa_doh:

Oh, and it is safe to say that Bud-N-Texas is not a center dent kind of guy eh?

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Thanks for the idea!

I spent Saturday copying this shelf. Thanks Bud!

MVC-659F.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I finally have almost enough hat boxes to hold my hats. I have shoulder high stacks all along one wall of my room.

MrPumpernickel

One of the Regulars
EricH said:
Rick, I'm sadly a 7 3/8ish and as all of us know here. It ain't the best size to be collecting.

I share your pain man, there just doesn't seem to be all that many hats of this size out there, at least not compared to smaller sizes.

Bud-n-Texas said:
No John, just smooth sanded cedar boards. I would think that sealing them would negate the benefit of the cedar, except for the aesthetics.

Perhaps if you only seal the top part of the shelf you would protect it from possible sap but still gain the benefits of the cedar since all other sides would be exposed? I'm just speculating though, but it may be a workable middle route.

Myself I store the hats I don't use on shelves in the closet. One benefit of living where I live (i.e. northern parts of Sweden) is that the climate isn't exactly inviting for moths so I don't really have to worry about them. Just keeping them away from the light and dust and I'm set. Though getting, or making, a few hat boxes out of acid free paper probably wouldn't be a bad idea either.

AlanC

Dinerman said:
I finally have almost enough hat boxes to hold my hats. I have shoulder high stacks all along one wall of my room.

TRAGIC HAT BOX ACCIDENT

May 21 06:35 PM US/Eastern
By MEL ARKY
Associated Press Writer

OLNEY, Maryland (AP) -The parents of a young diner critic and fedora enthusiast found their college bound son crushed under hat boxes in his room tonight following an apparent attempt to place a vintage Stetson 'Bantam' model on the top of his growing stack. Ironically, the Bantam model was known as a featherweight hat...

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
AlanC said:
TRAGIC HAT BOX ACCIDENT

By MEL ARKY
Associated Press Writer

OLNEY, Maryland (AP) -The parents of a young diner critic and fedora enthusiast found their college bound son crushed under hat boxes in his room tonight following an apparent attempt to place a vintage Stetson 'Bantam' model on the top of his growing stack. Ironically, the Bantam model was known as a featherweight hat...
:eek: sad, but true. They did fall over that one time...

bolthead

OMG.....

AlanC said:
TRAGIC HAT BOX ACCIDENT

By MEL ARKY
Associated Press Writer

That is too funny man. Sorry D-man, all in good fun. Seriously though, you're gonna need a small Museum for all those lids pretty soon. :eusa_doh:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24