Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you store your hats?

R

Red Beard

I've had to make 3 hat racks so far. They're easy to make and I prefer them over boxes, as I've heard that moths which eat felt don't like light. The only real problems are dust and possible fading. . .and I'm running out of dowels.

TaxMan1

One of the Regulars
bolthead said:
Red Beard, I'd like to see pictures of them, that'd be cool (if possible).

TaxMan1....you lost me on that one dude.....[huh]

So far she has them "hanging" on the cans. Think she's gonna pad the tops?

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here area few of mine in the livingroom

Please do forgive the mess & clutter, but honestly with six dogs & five cats in a 1400 sq. ft. home, it is seldom even this clean :eusa_doh:

livingroomhats.jpg

livingroomhats2.jpg

livingroomhats3.jpg

This method does, however, require a weekly going-over with a hat brush...

Hondo

One Too Many
WOW!! I am impressed Rick Blaine, wish I had that setup :eusa_clap
I store mine on the shelf either in boxes or lay flat inside plastic bag, closet is best until the occasion a raises.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
bolthead said:
Thanks for the pix, I love it, although it would work in my spare room, otherwise the wife would have no parts of it.....:D

Yeah, brother. Having a tolerant Mrs. Blaine makes all the difference in the world!

EricH said:
This is my approach to the problem. I utilize an oddly sized closet off the main living room. It is a work in progress. Oh, and of course I have already outgrown it. ;)
http://homepage.mac.com/erich222/lounge/Hatstorage1.JPG

Beautiful solution and so much like my dreams it's scary... uh, what size did you say you were?

DOUGLAS said:
Rick, Now thats a show!:eusa_clap

Thanks to you sir, your opinion is valued.
I think we are almost all born curators, eh? I know I am, rocks, fossils, fishing lures...
Collecting, making provision for effective preservation (on our heads and off), interpreting cultural significance, documentation of their use and manufacture, their role in commerce and society and acting as stewards of a little bit of our shared human cultural heritage... or maybe I am just over thinking this...;) oh yeah and did I mention wearing them too?

EricH

One of the Regulars
Rick, I'm sadly a 7 3/8ish and as all of us know here. It ain't the best size to be collecting.

Bolthead, the hats rest on lengths of 1/8 thin aluminum that are joined at the end by wood spacers (think rectangle). They rest on adjustable shelves. I snitched the idea from a photo of Art Fawcett's shop. You'll see the picture in various posts on the lounge. In his case, the hardware is metal dowel with a much more professional looking mounting system.

Still need more space (though I'm testing Mrs. Hedberg's tolerance). As Analogist would say "oy vey" or as we say in Minnesota "Yah that's yer oy vey there ya betcha"

R

Red Beard

Sorry Bolthead. I don't have a working digital camera at the moment to show off the hat racks. Each one holds 6 hats and they take about 20 minutes to make.They're just dowels and wood balls with a simple base. Nothing fancy. All you need is two bits, a drill and a saw.

Bud-n-Texas said:
While this set up will not accommodate all of my hats, it has worked well. The cedar lumber used smells nice if nothing else.

MVC-659F.jpg
Hi Bud!

Nice hat rack, i was just wondering if you have a finish on the cedar? I was concerned about sap or voilatile aromatics staining a hat or box. Especially if the weather got hot.

Best regards

FedoraGent

One Too Many
Hat Storage

Magneto and I both use hat boxes to store our hats. However, for those hats that we are going to wear during the week, we have a really nice hat and coat rack that we have by the front door. It works out really well.

Now, what I'd like to see are hat cubicles designed specifically for hats that we could see the hats and just open a sliding glass door to get the hat out. That way, we can protect the hat from moths, see the hats and know that they are being stored properly. But this has been a creation of my own noggin and until I get to a wood shop where I can make it myself...it will stay an idea.

FG.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy