Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How does a girl keep warm?

Foofoogal

Banned
Coats seem to be following me home lately. Maybe since it is so cold.
Trying to find out information about a company Jill Jr.
Anyone? Nice wool. I find others online but no info about the company.

Just traded something for some red suede 1980s nearly thigh high boots. I plan on wearing them under a very long skirt. Who will know. I hate being cold.
vavoomm....

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
Foofoogal said:
Trying to find out information about a company Jill Jr.
Anyone? Nice wool. I find others online but no info about the company.

I can only find two snippets of WWD articles from 1988/89 which names the company as Jill Jr Coat Fashions Inc, headed by Norman Cohen at that time. The article described them as a moderate priced outerwear mfg. You have to subscribe to whatever site archived the article to read anything more. I did search Norman Cohen and there was a man of the same name who headed up Maggie London "prior to his retirement in 2000" but unsure if it's one and the same.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Miss Dottie said:
Ladies,

I know this sounds silly, but my closet seems crammed with pretty cotton dresses to wear when it is spring and summer, but now that there is a very VERY noticable chill in the air I can't seem to find anything cute and vintagey to wear and keep me warm. Other than some VERY formal evening dresses.

Any thoughts for every day wear in the winter?

Any pictures? Ooh! Show us your every day vintage winter-time cuteness!

Mapicturesmall.jpg
this is my grandmother in the 1940s. I don't know how typical it was of the era elsewhere, but that is how young Swiss women dressed for the snow!

Heather

Practically Family
Keeping your head warm?

What do you ladies do to keep your heads warm? Ear muffs to salvage your 'do's? Or do you sacrifice that for a toasty head by wearing a hat? If so, what kind of hat? I'd love to see photos if you have any to share. :) I'm on the market for something cute and warm!

Marla

A-List Customer
My choice hat for minimal hair musing is the beret. My hair is currently short, so I tuck it into a beret '30s style and there is no hairstyle displacement to be had.

Porcelina

New in Town
Just to add my tuppence worth to this thread, I refuse to give in to my winter clothing yet! I am eeking out the less-floaty summer dresses by:

- wearing extra things underneath (camisoles, slips)
- wearing a cardigan or little sweater over the top
- cosy knee-high socks (look fab with brogues)
- using a shawl around the house for when I'm sat still and more likely to feel the chill
- wearing my lighter jackets with scarves, gloves, hats (winter coats are at the dry cleaners!)

I'm not sure how much longer I can last with this strategy, the chill in the air is getting more wintry daily!

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Work - summer dresses with stockings and cardis or trousers with blouses and and sweaters. I have also dug out leather gloves and some nice scarves and been wearing the odd headscarf a la Rosie or like the Queen, as it's been raining. The trenchcoat has seen some use too, although no winter coat as yet. Fur wrap for over my suit when i'm in the shop as it's a bit nippy even with the heating on.

Home - Sheepskin slippers, cashmere socks, silk jim jams and the old lady wincyette dressing gown, quilted with mother of pearl buttons (heck i'm single, no-one sees me, but it's extra toasty especially when letting the dog out last thing)!

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
Heather said:
What do you ladies do to keep your heads warm? Ear muffs to salvage your 'do's? Or do you sacrifice that for a toasty head by wearing a hat? If so, what kind of hat? I'd love to see photos if you have any to share. :) I'm on the market for something cute and warm!

I have some earmuffs in a red plaid; they're cute and work well if I have my hair down (updos + earmuffs are kinda impossible, of course). I don't have any pictures, unfortunately.

When it comes to hats, I find all my cute vintage ones to be pretty useless, but I have small ears that get so cold they hurt when it's at all windy. On bitter days, I just slap my big old sheepskin-lined, wool, earflapped hat on and plan to redo my hair once I get where I'm going lol .

This is my hat:
http://www.beltoutlet.com/wowoblpltrha.html
It's not cheap, but this thing is amazing. I can't hear very well when the earflaps are down 'cause the fleece is so thick, but it's toasty alright! Plus buffalo plaid hunting caps are just so old-fashioned and cute anyway.

Foofoogal

Banned
Super hat. :eusa_clap
I intend on finding me some vintage earmuffs this year. Last one I bought a new version and they hurt my ears.
Not used to cold weather. Do the older ones hurt as well?
We had 6 snows last year and I am going to be ready.

beth

Familiar Face
coats

This might not be the right place to post this, or maybe there is already a discussion. I did do some searching. But where does everyone get their coats? I've been looking online the last few weeks for longer coats, but most of them exceed my price range.

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
RodeoRose said:
I have some earmuffs in a red plaid; they're cute and work well if I have my hair down (updos + earmuffs are kinda impossible, of course). I don't have any pictures, unfortunately.

When it comes to hats, I find all my cute vintage ones to be pretty useless, but I have small ears that get so cold they hurt when it's at all windy. On bitter days, I just slap my big old sheepskin-lined, wool, earflapped hat on and plan to redo my hair once I get where I'm going lol .

This is my hat:
http://www.beltoutlet.com/wowoblpltrha.html
It's not cheap, but this thing is amazing. I can't hear very well when the earflaps are down 'cause the fleece is so thick, but it's toasty alright! Plus buffalo plaid hunting caps are just so old-fashioned and cute anyway.
Super cute I want one.

Tatum

Practically Family
beth said:
This might not be the right place to post this, or maybe there is already a discussion. I did do some searching. But where does everyone get their coats? I've been looking online the last few weeks for longer coats, but most of them exceed my price range.

Beth, I find great coats in thrift stores (which surprises me when I find them here in Florida, but then, I guess people moving here from cold areas feel they don't need them). My favorite is a black vintage wool that I picked up in Nashville, TN. Hubby is amazed at how many coats I own considering where we live, but I do wear every single one a few times a year. Traveling is tough, as I have to limit myself to how many I can bring!

I have found that the most versatile is an ankle-length wool (classic with lapels), as you can wear it with anything and it will keep you nice and toasty.

NancyLouise

One of the Regulars
I usually look in thrift stores for coats too, especially the further-out ones that aren't as often frequented. I found a beautiful long brown wool coat with a lush fur collar and a slightly nipped in waist. I knew it was vintage but I never really looked at the tag until a couple months ago and it's by Pauline Trigère! :eek: (and Portland thrift stores can get really picked over, so there's hope if thats the case in your town too)

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Seconded, i have a ridiculous coat collection, all from the charity shops or ebay, but mostly charity shop finds. If you keep looking regularly they will turn up. Also much better quality than i would be able to afford if i were to buy new. So i can't help myself!! Look for a classic style, in a neutral colour that will work with everything. My two faves that i can make work with all my vintage clothes are a grey cashmere, full length, double breasted coat and a brown wool belted full length coat. Both cost less than £15. Also a faux fur coat is an option too as they will keep you toasty and i think they can look just as cute with jeans or smarter outfits. xx

beth

Familiar Face
Ah! Thank you so much ladies! It never really crossed my mind to look in thrift stores. I'll have to do some checking around now!

annet

One of the Regulars
not really vintage, but i noticed that h&m makes their tank tops (and other tops) REALLY long now. i'm 5'4" and their tanks cover my bum and garters to the top of my stockings... they're cotton jersey and might be something nice to wear under your dresses when it gets cooler.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Annet, you very much reminded me that I have a vintage John Smedley branded vest (singlet/undershirt, call it what you will) that I picked up in a charity shop a few years ago that is great when I'm wearing vintage as it is shaped in at the waist but then comes down almost to my knees (and I am pretty tall at 5'9"). It also has a great little drawstring at the neck so you can tighten it up to keep the wind chill off your chest! This is good for me as I am always getting chest colds in Winter.

It is that lurid bright peach so beloved by underwear manufacturers in the 1930s/40s. Looked brand new when I bought it. Suspect it got bought and lived in some ladies drawer until they passed away. My BF thinks it is the most hilarious item. lol What do I care? It keeps me warm.

BTW, I am a confirmed vest wearer in Winter. I really feel the cold as well as getting them.

Marla

A-List Customer
Miss Sis said:
BTW, I am a confirmed vest wearer in Winter. I really feel the cold as well as getting them.

Vests are indispensable in Winter! Even though I wear multiple layers I still feel cold without a vest. I wish they were easier to get today; I drool over the ones in old Sears catalogs. A Stitch In Time has a pattern for a sleeveless one which I'm planning on knitting in fine wool.

Sunny

One Too Many
Miss Sis said:
Annet, you very much reminded me that I have a vintage John Smedley branded vest (singlet/undershirt, call it what you will) that I picked up in a charity shop a few years ago that is great when I'm wearing vintage as it is shaped in at the waist but then comes down almost to my knees (and I am pretty tall at 5'9"). It also has a great little drawstring at the neck so you can tighten it up to keep the wind chill off your chest! This is good for me as I am always getting chest colds in Winter.

It is that lurid bright peach so beloved by underwear manufacturers in the 1930s/40s. Looked brand new when I bought it. Suspect it got bought and lived in some ladies drawer until they passed away. My BF thinks it is the most hilarious item. lol What do I care? It keeps me warm.

I WANT THAT!!! Especially now that I know you're 5'9", too! (I probably want your whole wardrobe... ;) ) I'm always cold in the winter. It's pathetic!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto