Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How does a girl keep warm?

MissLaurieMarie

One of the Regulars
Ughhhh Winter! It's already getting to be in the high minuses at night and single digits (in Celsius) during the day here in ole Alberta. I'll be perusing this thread more and more, all season long I suspect.

I was thinking of buying these boots from ModCloth, what do you ladies think? Are they are vintage inspired (40s/50s) enough (they're probably better than my $20 kitten heels I wore all last year in the 5 ft snow we got :eusa_doh:).

371716938_s6bRz6em_c.jpg
371710548_D6NvdKrP_c.jpg

I'm more partial to the brown ones myself, which are ten dollars more but provide more coverage.

Drappa

One Too Many
I love the brown ones!
Ughhhh Winter! It's already getting to be in the high minuses at night and single digits (in Celsius) during the day here in ole Alberta. I'll be perusing this thread more and more, all season long I suspect.

I was thinking of buying these boots from ModCloth, what do you ladies think? Are they are vintage inspired (40s/50s) enough (they're probably better than my $20 kitten heels I wore all last year in the 5 ft snow we got :eusa_doh:).

371716938_s6bRz6em_c.jpg
371710548_D6NvdKrP_c.jpg

I'm more partial to the brown ones myself, which are ten dollars more but provide more coverage.

Kate O Potato

A-List Customer
Where oh where did you find a waterproof, long, full skirted trench coat??? Please tell me it's from this season? I thought it was a myth...

I got it in the Laura Ashley sale about 4 years ago! Sorry! It's sadly looking a bit battered now, so I am too on the look-out for another...

And Rosie Beau, the cardigans were in the Benetton sale at £24.50 each, but the man on the till typed £4.50 into the card reader by mistake, hence I could afford to go back and buy another! I know they continued the pearl-button cardies last season and wouldn't be surprised if they turned up again this winter. M&S have reasonably priced cashmere cardigans too, which aren't too baggy and are super cosy!

Katinka von K.

A-List Customer

371716938_s6bRz6em_c.jpg
371710548_D6NvdKrP_c.jpg

The brown ones are beautiful and should work well with dresses/skirts from the 40s and 50s :) I could even imagine them in combination with a 30s outfit.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Now I am about to transition from wearing stockings in a few weeks to wearing cotton knee socks. After that, I break out the wool knee socks. Then I move to CuddleDuds (they kind of look like spandex on the outside with insulated underwear on the inside). I use them as leggings under my skirt- only a few inches show between my skirt and boots, and they don't look too bad.

The only way I keep warm in deep winter is wearing wool. Long wool coat, wool hat, wool scarf, wool skirt, wool blazer. Cotton shirt and undershirt, heavy slip. I also wear double socks.

LinaSofia

A-List Customer
Drappa, they do exist on ebay... I know I've seen one particular repro full-skirted trench coat, that used to come up in my searches all the time a couple of months ago... but I can't find it now.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I have a giant, fluffy rabbit fur vintage scarf that warms my whole body up when I wrap it around my neck. It's a saviour in below-zero weather - Not to mention how soft and gorgeous it looks :)

Fur is just about the warmest thing you can wear in the winter, and if it's vintage, its even better, for many reasons!

Drappa

One Too Many
Lina, are they actually watwrproof though? I have been eyeing a fill skirted Warehouse coat for a year now, but it's not waterproof.

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
good idea to revive this thread! I have one top tip for winter for the times when you want to feel authentic and wear your girdle or suspender belt but regular stockings are too thin.... cut off some woolly tights!! I did this the other day. I had some nice brown wool tights, but they were the annoying kind that gives you "saggy crotch", there's nothing more uncomfortable is there! So I just chopped them off at the top of the thigh and now use them with a suspender belt. Perfect! If you get a chilly bottom you can stick on a pair of bloomers over the top :).

There are wool stockings available, but they are usually very expensive.

Shoes-wise, I've hit the jackpot! I bought a pair of hardly worn vintage lace-up ankle boots for £4 from a charity shop! score! :D

I'm on the hunt for a 40s winter coat though... as the gorgeous one I have is 2 sizes too small :(

Yup, that's the thing with tights and pantyhose; they're either up around your boobs or the crotch is 'round your knees!

There's a cute 40's repro coat at Tara Starlet at the moment...

MissLaurieMarie

One of the Regulars
Thanks all! Right now ModCloth is out of those boots in my size, hopefully they restock soon!
To keep with this winter theme I see that Miss Ashley of LFS has done a great video on wearing vintage in the winter (http://bit.ly/v2XkAj) and also linked to The Freelancer's Fashion blog's take on the anatomy of dressing in the cold (http://bit.ly/tG4N9h).

Tooday it is a dreadfully miserable day so I spent my day off huddled inside with my knitting and my guitar. Now to make some spicy Italian sausage penne to warm up!

Louise Anne

Suspended
I could be wrong, I think they could be moderling shoes for some advert, maybe cotton or wool stocking woild look right.
What ladies do in the name of fashion.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
I just discovered a wonderful pattern from Truly Victorian for split drawers. They make up just lovely and are so comfy to wear AND to sleep in. My first pair that I just made for an 1870s ball gown ensemble are of cotton eyelet with two rows of lace edging on the deep border. They are below knee length.

But I'll make myself a long leg pair or two in soft and cozy cotton flannel to stay warm in this cold season!

Last edited:

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Childrens' author and 19c. historic lifestyle enthusiast Tasha Tudor made herself wool petticoats to wear under her long dresses in the winter. She never wore pants, ever- even in the dead of winter.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Childrens' author and 19c. historic lifestyle enthusiast Tasha Tudor made herself wool petticoats to wear under her long dresses in the winter. She never wore pants, ever- even in the dead of winter.

I wouldn't exactly call her a style icon for us, though lol

tasha-tudor-cp-5061721.jpg

All kidding aside, she was a fascinating lady, and those wool petticoats do look warm!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner