Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How does a girl keep warm?

Sunny

One Too Many
Miss Sis said:
I've found that alot of these knit suits go cheap on Ebay because most people might think them a bit *frumpy* but they look great! I just got a long sleeved rust coloured one.

I saw that one! I would've gone for it if it had been a color more friendly to my complexion. :p

Those of you who do have knit suits, how closely ought the unstretched measurements correspond to your own measurements? I'm just worried about how much they can stretch, and how much they should stretch to look right.

epr25

Practically Family
I alos have issues with winter clothes. I live in Indiana and it gets super cold. Some days I can hack wearing a skirt but most of the time when the snow is flying and there ice and inch think on everything I can't even think about it. My problem is that I am 5'3" and have a larger bottom half and have not yet been able to find any vintage slacks that don't look horrible on me. In reading some other threads I have checked out a lot of sites where ladies do custom sizing. I think I will have to go this rout but that will be pretty pricey to bould a wardrobe of pants. I have a questions for everyone though. What shoes are you guys wearing with your vinatge pnats or jeans? It's not prectical for me to wear heels at work. I have one pair of vintage Hobbie Nobbie wedges but who wants to wear the same shoes everyday?

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Sunny said:
I saw that one! I would've gone for it if it had been a color more friendly to my complexion. :p

Those of you who do have knit suits, how closely ought the unstretched measurements correspond to your own measurements? I'm just worried about how much they can stretch, and how much they should stretch to look right.

Hard to say, since it depands on what it's made out of. I guess you have to ask the seller how much 'give' it has.

I have another set which is quite non-stretch. I don't know what it is made out of. It's not wool, more a sort of nubbly rayon is my best guess. The skirt is almost tubular at the top over the hips then flares out above the knee but thank goodness I can shimmy it on. A very 1930s shape. You aren't meant to look curvy, more straight up and down.

Lucky for me that I suit all the autumnal colours. One of my friends had her eye on it too apparently!

TOTTIE

One of the Regulars
I think on the whole these 30s knit suits are not all that stretchy. They are often of crocheted cotton or rayon, neither of which have much 'give'. Personally, I think even with the knit ones, they should skim but not cling on the waist and hips. So I suspect you shouldn't buy much below your real measurements - and an inch above would probably be more flattering!

Many of these sets are very slim on the hips. I have one which is generous in the top, but the hips are still quite snug - and then you get sticky-out-bottom, which doesn't look right - they are supposed to drape not hug that area, I think, judging from the pictures.

Elaina

One Too Many
I do coats and cloaks instead of clothing since heavier fabrics tend to weigh me down. (As in, I don't get cold.)

I also live in the land of don't like the weather, wait 10 minutes. It's usually warm enough here I don't have to necessarily worry about it.

Sunny

One Too Many
Thanks for the tips, ladies! Agreed, I hate the sticky-out-backside look. I'd rather not look like I've been poured into my clothes, thank you. ;)

Folly

One of the Regulars
This is my "I'm about to go ice skating on the Thames look" hehe!

12.jpg

Amelie

A-List Customer
Folly said:
This is my "I'm about to go ice skating on the Thames look" hehe!

12.jpg

Thats absolutely gorgeous! You bought it I guess since sewing fur is so difficult...? (or maybe that fur on the collar is only a wrap?)

I personnaly like winter clothes a lot, what I find, is that they are so much expensives! I like to sew long sleeves dresses made out of thin wool or of heavier cotton, I think these are very great winter fabric, and oh i LOVE the way wool fall in a full skirt

but why do people keep selling good quality wool to such high prices !! :'(

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
I agreee that is a beautiful outfit on you!!! That's like an "I'm a movie star about to go skating on the Thames" outfit! I'm so envious:D you look all snuggly and warm:)

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
Thanks IslaLund, I bought them more than 10 years ago and I just love them! They make any outfit I wear with them 10 times more vavoom! Just what a girl wants in a pair of shoes!

Kaela

Vendor
Above all, in winter weather, my ears freeze, the only thing I can do is wear a beret, but I get tired of that, and it doesn't do well with my 40s vintage. What sort of tricks did they have to cover their ears to keep warm?
My entire wardrobe is cotton dresses practically, and one wool skirt that's too full to keep in the warmth. I suppose wool pencil skirts would do the job, but I haven't found any I like as of yet. I have some thick cotton ones that are suitable, but I'm always cold!

Although, in California, when it's the middle of the summer, and I want to do vintage, there are so many layers involved, and a lot of skin is covered, so I tend to overheat then, too. Parisols can't stop Southern California heat, no matter how much I wish they could. I always want to get away with wearing ensembles like playsuits to regular day-time events during the summer, but always chicken out at the last minute. I don't think they *only* wore such sunsuits to the beach or tennis! What else would be suitable? I'd almost think that festivals/fairs would be alright for something like that.
(For example, a tie-top blouse with bermuda shorts or above-the-knee skirt?)

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Also you might try layering your stockings - maybe a sheer stocking under a fishnet.

also, you can buy tights and cut the legs off if you absolutely can't stand the feel of wearing anything other than stockings. if you wear panty girdles with replaceable garters, you can swap out shorter garter clips and wear your tights-stockings opera length for extra coverage!

kitty

Laraquan

Familiar Face
Back in the Golden Era when ladies rarely wore pants, how did a girl keep her legs from freezing? I have a very large faux fur coat that can do the trick but some days and with some outfits and occasions it's more than a tad too overdressed. So what clever tricks did they use to keep warm in the cold or did they just suffer it out in silence?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk