Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How does a girl keep warm?

Miss Roulette

New in Town
magneto said:
Boots were strictly stormy-weather street wear (i.e. not worn as fashion attire indoors) until the 1960s.

Perhaps there wasn't the same fad in the States but in the early 20s in Britain there was a crazy for 'Russian Boots', sturdy knee length boots, as everyday fashion wear.

A lot of the detractors thought that the look was common as it implied that you did a lot of walking and didn't take taxis or cars. I think the fad lasted a year or so.

Feathers

Familiar Face
16_sparrows said:
Quite new here and am a little confused about winter clothing. Most of the vintage clothes I own are dresses or skirts, and most of the clothes I see in vintage mags are of the same. So what did ladies do in the winter? Thick wool socks and just tough it out?

I live in Chicago so my main concern is inches of snow. What kind of shoes did their wear for that and how would they keep their socks from getting wet?

I tried looking on vintage info sites, but if they do reference winter, they only speak of coats. I'm more worried about my lower half.

Sparrows, I'm worried about the same thing! I've been looking and looking for 1920s types of winter coats. The only thing I really come across is that raccoon coats were quite popular! :eusa_doh: I also came across this darling illustration:

38-6.jpg

The coat and hat are both adorable....

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Depends on the temparature...

But I have worn dresses with regular stockings in winter weather in New York and not been too cold on the legs - maybe they just got numb? I guess once it gets below zero you have to worry about frostbite more. Support stockings would be warmer than regular ones, and have the seam.
Galoshes were very, very common. There are the kind you wear over your shoes (Gaytees was a popular brand) and the kind that re warm boots you change into.
The word "Flapper" comes from those gay, mad, carefree girls of the teens who went about with their galoshes unfastened so that the openings flapped about! It then came to mean any bright young thing.
You can sometimes find galoshes on Ebay, they are out there.
I haven't found any evidence in 20s and 30s magazines that anyone wore wool stockings. Maybe they just didn't talk about it as it was considered unstylish?
If you aren't actually forging through the snowdrifts, maybe it's bearable to have stockinged legs - I live in California, so what do I know! But here I am in the snow... the very long skirt helped a lot!
l_1b108b639cbcca83e3d3d61c3271e0bc.jpg

ValerieAmelia

Familiar Face
I am moving to Chicago this winter and leaving my car behind in Michigan so I was hoping to get some winter tips on how to stay cute! I am so worried I'm going to lose myself in winter and just pile on the biggest coats I can find and wear snow pants all the time. I don't really know what to expect, only that I will have to carry big bags with a change of shoes every where.

Grnidwitch

A-List Customer
Miss 1929 has got it down pat.

Chicago in winter can be brutal. I walked 1.5 miles from the train station to my office. I went for warmth only. Sorrel boots rated to -20, down coat, gloves, the whole bit.

I think anyone living in areas with winter conditions can do a great job keeping warm and looking stylish. Boots with a low heel, wide legged pants (you can take them off once you get to work) and a long coat. Dark colors only and wool. In Chicago, they use alot of ice melt on the sidewalks and it gets on the back of your coat. A nice hat, scarf and gloves should do the trick. Chicago gets wind chills that can reach -20 and lower. You have to keep all exposed skin covered or suffer from frostbite.

But, if you are one of the lucky ones that can afford cabs, Miss 1929's outfit would be perfect.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
:eek: I can't believe how cold that is! I got all confused about ºC and ºF and thought that it was the opposite to what it was. But -20ºF, that's -30ºC! I thought -2 or -3ºC was a seriously cold winter temperature! All I can say is BRRRRRRR!

Decobelle

One of the Regulars

Grnidwitch

A-List Customer
Fleur De Guerre said:
:eek: I can't believe how cold that is! I got all confused about ºC and ºF and thought that it was the opposite to what it was. But -20ºF, that's -30ºC! I thought -2 or -3ºC was a seriously cold winter temperature! All I can say is BRRRRRRR!

The wind comes down out of Canada and I delivered pizzas (yuky side job) on winter night and the news reported wind chills of -60. Don't do the math on that one.

Josephine

One Too Many
I went to Virginia Tech (in the mountains), and you could always tell the freshman from the upperclassmen during the winter. They were the ones looking fashionable, and freezing their tushies off. :D

Miss 1929

It Is!

LadyDeWinter said:
Miss 1929, I like your coat, it is really beautiful. Is it a genuine vintage one?

I put different colored fur collars on it for different outfits. It took me YEARS to find a coat in that 1932 shape, I ended up begging a friend to sell me hers! But I noticed that Lady Day has a pattern like this on another thread, in my size, so I am going to now beg her to let me copy it...more coats!

Thanks to all for the compliments, it is a nice coat! And surprisingly warm for such a snug fitting one.

lonestarcasie

New in Town
Coat woes...

Miss 1929 said:
I put different colored fur collars on it for different outfits. It took me YEARS to find a coat in that 1932 shape, I ended up begging a friend to sell me hers! But I noticed that Lady Day has a pattern like this on another thread, in my size, so I am going to now beg her to let me copy it...more coats!

Thanks to all for the compliments, it is a nice coat! And surprisingly warm for such a snug fitting one.

I know!! I am so desirous of a nice vintagey coat, but I can't find anything that fits and is affordable. I don't care if it is really vintage or just vintage styled. Ebay has failed me and I can't seem to find anything new that really fits the bill either.

Woe (and cold) is me.

lyburnum

Practically Family
Winter is when I get all my woolens out. Last year I made two pairs of woolen trousers, a woolen coat and a woolen pencil skirt all from vintage patterns, plus I have a bunch of woolen skirts from vintage stores. Winter is actually my favourite time of year for dressing, as you can put so many layers on! I wear thick woolen tights in the winter and have just found a perfect wool winter coat and I've also bought a muff and thick elbow length gloves. I have to say I'm not impartial to thermals either, I often wear them underneath my trousers, however if I wear them underneath my top I normally get too hot - not surprising with all the wool I wear already! My only problem is shoes - I have a pair of heeled, knee high leather boots but they're not very vintage and I can't wear them with pencil skirts or dresses as it looks silly. Generally my feet have to tough it out in heels.

Miss_Bella_Hell

Black tights alternative?

I'm looking for an alternative to black tights, something to wear with knit black dresses. I like the look of an opaque leg (so stockings, while a viable option, aren't what I'm looking for). Any great knit tights I should look at? Also, I worry that knit dresses willl stick to the tights, but I suppose that's what slips are for.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
So no knit stockings either? You can find them lots on eBay. Target also has good tights with nice lace designs.

Cotton/wool blend FFs are a good choice as well and are on sale on eBay from time to time.

Keep warm! :)

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112