Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How does a girl keep warm?

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
Jackpot ladies!

Well, I've found some nice vintage solutions to the winter chills.

Viva la vintage pendleton--who doesn't love plaid in the fall?

And two very nice knit dresses.

I'll post when I find my camera!

TOTTIE

One of the Regulars
Knit dresses - they have some nice modern ones - very vintage in style - in Noa Noa at the moment in the UK... expensive, though - about £90. They come with a matching belt and slip though... which I suppose makes it slightly better value. Gorgeous colours - dark teal, lovely green etc.
Hoping they might be in the sale!

P

Paul

long boots are not vintage but look great in winter

I know from what I have read that ladies prefer spring and summer because they can wear dresses float elegantly etc in nice shades to show off there figure.
apposed to wrapping up well with layers of cloths then a with think coat which take some of the feminine shape away.

I think winter gives a great and slightly different opportunity to show off vintage fashions in a slightly different way, on a dull morning when every one is slightly depressed with the weather seeing a bright red lipstick worn with pride cheers me up.

I know that knee length boots were not around in the 40's / 50's there are some great looking one around today in the shops, worn with a knee length or just below looks great especially I think with sheer hosiery to keep that touch of femininity looks really great.
Knitted dresses are also great in my mind because they go well with boots again.
Nice fitted coats of any length can.

To Sum up I think it a great time of year to be able to combine vintage with a little modern and still look the part, after all if you are dresses 100% vintage and freezing cold the chances are you will look cold also. and what better ambassador for vintage if not 100% but mixing vintage and modern means your looking great and warm also, whilst others for the sake of modern fashion are freezing all around you.

GOK

One Too Many
TBH my winter wardrobe is not much different to my summer or spring one! I still wear mainly suits or dresses/skirts with sweaters or cardis. This year I have added trousers though - not because of the weather but because I like the look of them!

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
awww.... that coat is really beautifull.

I don´t have many winter-outfits either. I allways buy dresses or lingerie for weekends and for shoots and never think about the winter... lol But I´ll work on it ;)

P

Paul

I agree what a fabulous coat imagine going out in the 20's wearing it.;) ;)

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
Ooh! That is gorgeous. Look at the collar. I want to live there! Is it too terribly naughty to like fur?

I just find it too hot for the Northern California weather, but boy is it pretty!

Mojito

One Too Many
I am utterly in love with that coat - favourite era, favourite colour (green), favourite material (velvet).

I have a short dark green velvet jacket from the 20s - no fur cuffs and collar, but it does have those wonderful sweeping sleeves with the ruching detail. It's one of my favourite winter items - I'll wear it with jeans or with a frock.

Miss Dottie, I think we can forgive some vintage fur! I wore a 20s dress with ermine trim to a party last night. I was prepared for people to be hostile at the idea of wearing fur, even if it was eighty years old...but, on the contrary, they loved it and wanted to touch it!

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
FOUND: Handknit Sweater dress

After spending a good half day one Sunday, I found the perfect sweater dress.

redsweaterdress.gif

If fits well, and is so comfy to wear. the stitching is downright teeny tiny, but it makes for a better drape, so I know I will never knit a dress like this but instead rely on eBay and vintage shopping to purchase more of these dresses. It also has some elastic at the waist to keep it a bit more figure flattering.

Forgive my crossed arms--the flash just caught my white bra showing underneath the dress. Sigh!

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
Wow Fleure Du Guerre--what a great store. And those dresses are darling. Thanks for sharing!

Yes, a bit on the spendy side, but I love that they are machine washable. What a treat!

I fear I'm addicted to these darling knitted dresses that I might have to splurge on one of these beauties. The chocolate one in particular is looking might sweet!

birdiepie

New in Town
I think I have the opposite dilemma! I love dressing for the winter, but am frequently at a loss as to what to wear during the summer months. My everyday winter wardrobe consists of mid to heavy weight wool skirts & blouses worn with a sweater or cardigan. You really can't beat natural fibers for winter-time warmth. I'm a huge fan of Pendleton plaids, since they've been making the same clothes for ages and I love breaking them out for the chilly weather--- luckily they're ubiquitous enough that they're always turning up in thrift stores here.

I'm a bit shy about posting my picture-- but here's a knit wool sweater suit that I wore to a holiday party this past weekend (won off of ebay!):
holidaysuit.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner