Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How does one make a hat have a suede feel?

WesternHatWearer

A-List Customer
I am interested in learning how one goes about gaining a suede feel on a fur felt (hare or beaver fur) hat. Resistol has a few hats that have such a finish upon them, Black Gold (20X) and Tarrant (20X).
I have a rough idea about how to go about this project, but I would rather gain a bit more information before I go and ruin a hat.

Thank you for your time and any assistance.

suitedcboy

One Too Many
Pouncing (sanding). The result will vary depending on the felt. The Resistol Black Gold is a good quality beaver/rabbit blend body and ends up with a very velvetty finish most of the time. I have had several over the last 30 years and most were great but a couple were not up to the same standard as far as "hand" goes.

It is a trail and error thing for me but I start with 240 if it is coarse feeling or 600 paper if it already is a nicer feeling felt. I will then finish with 1000 and even 1500 grit.

What hat is it that your wanting to have better finish?

WesternHatWearer

A-List Customer
A coworker and I are going to take on the task (on one our own hats) of delivering a suede finish to a Resistol 6X City Limits.
Since we are going to be working with a 6X, I was guessing a coarse grit to start. It is nice to have some confirmation of what I was thinking. Thank you SuitedCowboy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic