Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How dry is your county?

geo

In Ontario, Canada, legal drinking age is 19, and alcohol is sold only in government-owned LCBO (Liquor Control Board of Ontario) stores and at the Beer Store.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
In Alberta (Canada) you can buy Liquor at the age of 18. No Collage prohibition here. The stores are private and usually close at 11:00 at night. Government gave up on that control years ago. Not a bad Scotch selection but it could be better.
Johnny

Michaelson

One Too Many
Doh! said:
Back in the '70s, Coors wasn't available in St. Louis -- or all of Missouri as far as I know -- so my cousin, who was going to college in Kansas at the time, would load up his car and bring back cases of the stuff whenever he came home on break. The neighbors would gather 'round and he'd sell as many cases as he could manage to the thirsty, polyester-wearing set.

By the end of the decade, Coors was finally being sold in St. Louis -- just in time for my dad and his friends to realize just how crappy it really was.

I don't think Dad's tasted Coors since 1978...

Of course, that was, and still IS, called bootlegging, and was the whole premise of the movie 'Smokey and the Bandit'.lol

....and you guys joke about US ridge runners.....(grins)

Regards! Michaelson

Michaelson said:
Of course, that was, and still IS, called bootlegging, and was the whole premise of the movie 'Smokey and the Bandit'.lol

....and you guys joke about US ridge runners.....(grins)

Regards! Michaelson

Nothing wrong with ridge runners---as long as they share. ;) :cheers1:
I didn't realize that there were so many restrictions around the country. Aside from a higher drinking age, it looks like a good portion of California is fairly open to alocohol purchases. I never have any problems anyway. You need as much as you can get to live around here. :p ;)
Let's try alcohol consumption by country:
#1 Luxembourg 15.4 litres per capita
#2 France 14.4 litres per capita
#3 Ireland 14.2 litres per capita
#4 Portugal 12.9 litres per capita
#5 Hungary 12.3 litres per capita
#6 Czech Republic 11.8 litres per capita
#7 Denmark 11.5 litres per capita
#8 Spain 11.5 litres per capita
#9 Switzerland 11.2 litres per capita
#10 Austria 11.1 litres per capita
#11 Germany 10.5 litres per capita
#12 United Kingdom 10.4 litres per capita
#13 Belgium 10.3 litres per capita
#14 Netherlands 10.1 litres per capita
#15 Australia 10.1 litres per capita
#16 Greece 9.5 litres per capita
#17 Italy 9 litres per capita
#18 Korea, South 8.9 litres per capita
#19 Slovakia 8.9 litres per capita
#20 New Zealand 8.9 litres per capita
#21 Finland 8.6 litres per capita
#22 Poland 8.3 litres per capita
#23 United States 8.3 litres per capita
#24 Canada 7.7 litres per capita
#25 Japan 7.6 litres per capita
#26 Sweden 6.2 litres per capita
#27 Iceland 6.1 litres per capita
#28 Norway 5.7 litres per capita
#29 Mexico 4.8 litres per capita
#30 Turkey 1.5 litres per capita

I can hardly believe that were are only number 23. You people out there start drinking. We can't be beat by Luxembourg. lol :p
This data is from 2000 for more recent figures with a history go to:
http://www.oecd.org/dataoecd/7/39/35530139.xls

Regards,

J

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Ha! Same thought...

I'm laughing because as I read down the list trying to find Uncle Sam I thought, "this is BS. We can't be beaten out by Luxembourg... or, good lord, Korea! I gotta step up the consumption and hold up my patriotic duty..."

:eek:

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
Let's try alcohol consumption by country:
#1 Luxembourg 15.4 litres per capita

It's how they cope with never winning the Eurovision Song Contest. :p

But I too am ashamed. Twelfth? TWELFTH????

I need a drink!

Doh!

One Too Many
scotrace said:
I'm laughing because as I read down the list trying to find Uncle Sam I thought, "this is BS. We can't be beaten out by Luxembourg... or, good lord, Korea! I gotta step up the consumption and hold up my patriotic duty..."

:eek:

Well, if you’re visiting Ohio, better make sure you have a resident with you to help you achieve your goal…

Years back, I lived in St. Louis and went to visit my cousin in Dayton. We decided to purchase some beer from a local “Quickie Mart” and I thought I’d be a nice guy and pay for it. The clerk asked me for ID and because I was 25 I didn’t hesitate to show her my Missouri drivers’ license. She said, “Sorry, I need to see an Ohio license.”

My jaw dropped, but I did manage to say, “Why? I’m still 25. Unless you guys use a different numbering system.” She wouldn’t budge, even after I asked to see the manager (naturally, she was the only one on duty). Luckily, my cousin was standing right there so she was more than happy to accept his Ohio license. However, I still felt like paying for the beer, so I handed cash to my cousin, he handed it to the clerk, and I carried the beer out.

Today, that clerk is either a government bureaucrat somewhere… or working in that Pavillions that won’t sell beer after 10:00.

(PS Scotrace: I see you live in Ohio, so what's up with that?? Or is it just a Dayton thing?)

Michaelson

One Too Many
Ohio package stores ARE State run and operated stores, so yes, you are supposed to be an Ohio resident to buy....but I discovered that it just depends on where you are, and the store you're buying in. I'm a born and raised Buckeye from Portsmouth, right on the Ohio River....but once I returned home after I had lived in Tennessee for several years and picked up a couple bottles of Jack Daniels for my father-in-law (seriously.;). Why? you ask, since Jack is MADE no more than 17 miles from where I'm sitting. WELLLLL, taxes on JD in Tennessee almost double the price of a bottle in State, while out of state it's down right affordable. As I recall, Gentleman Jack was about $35 a bottle here in Tennessee, where in Portsmouth it was $17 for the exact same bottle!!!

SO, I walked in, picked up the two promised bottles, and showed my Tennessee drivers license, fully expecting to be sent packing empty handed, but at least I tried. The clerk glanced at the license, then to me (I guess checking the photo to the face behind it), bagged the bottles, and told me the amount. I'm guessing from the number of Kentucky license plates on cars in the parking lot, things are a bit looser along the Ohio border than you experienced down in Dayton....even though Dayton is ALSO considered a river town, it's a wee bit to close to Cincinnati to get away with loose law enforcement, as the BATF has offices there and Columbus.

Regards! Michaelson

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I was born and raised in Iowa, which was a "dry" state until I was in my early 20's. I recall there were only beer bars (my parents called them "beer joints") and they only served 3.2 beer. That was all you could buy, too, was 3.2 beer, unless you drove to Missouri and purchased the good stuff.

If you wanted hard liquor or wine, you had to go to a state store to register for it, were limited to X number of bottles per year. Father would take me with him sometimes to go get the hard stuff. You could not buy alcohol in restaurants, but could bring your own and have the restaraunt set you up. So you had to buy your own alcohol and then pay for a set-up.

I remember being shocked when I went to California after college and seeing beer and liquor being sold in supermarkets.

I do recall some Sunday restrictions in some states, which is bizarre and I would think would be challenged in court. I do not recall any restrictions in California and NYC, except for drinking age.

Now, you can buy the stuff in stores 24/7 here in Iowa. I think that 3.2 is now considered "near beer." Is that right?

karol

Haversack

One Too Many
Up until 1979, California used to have a law that prohibited the sale of package distilled liquor within one mile of any UC campus. With the exception of the campus of UC Davis. As Davis was an agriculture school, students were assumed to have access to horses and the limit was extended to three miles. Hence, the two liquor stores in town were out by the freeway at Mace Blvd. at exactly the three mile limit. After the law was repealed, both stores closed within two years. By the by, 1979 also saw the repeal of the laws which prohibited the sale of beer on the premises on which it is made, thus permitting the creation of brew-pubs and micro-breweries.

Haversack

Doh!

One Too Many
Michaelson said:
Ohio package stores ARE State run and operated stores, so yes, you are supposed to be an Ohio resident to buy....

...things are a bit looser along the Ohio border than you experienced down in Dayton....even though Dayton is ALSO considered a river town, it's a wee bit to close to Cincinnati to get away with loose law enforcement, as the BATF has offices there and Columbus.

Regards! Michaelson

Michaelson, I didn't want to eat up valuable webspace by quoting your entire post, but I just wanted to point out how you NEVER cease to amaze me with the thoroughness of your answers. Thanks!

(And here I thought the moniker "Knower of Things" only applied to Indiana Jones stuff...)

Raegan

New in Town
Jake said:
Raegan, good to see another member from Wisconsin. I believe that makes 5 of us now. Central Wisconsin, sounds like the Stevens Point area? I have been to fly-ins in that area, Watoma and Marshfield.....Jake.

I'm actually about 40 miles north of Marshfield in a small, boooring town.

Raegan

New in Town
The situation is like this...there are 20,000 people living in our county (our town is the county seat) and there are 57 liquor licenses and about 30 of those are bars. So that's pretty much all there is to do here is drink.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner