Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How easy is it to change hatbands on off-the-shelfs?

Simon82

One of the Regulars
Hi, All --

I'm about as green as you get when it comes to fedoras, having only had a 1984 $16 wool Indy hat and a Stetson straw panama, but I'm looking to get a nice hat for fall/winter.

I've been looking at some custom sites, as well as sites that sell Akubras. I'd rather have something wide-brimmed (3" or more) that could be all-weather, so I'm leaning towards a custom, but am also interested in Akubra's Lawson or even their shape-it-yourself Squatter (is the felt quality good on that one?).

However, I'm not wild about some of the hatbands on the store-boughts, and was wondering how easy it is to switch them out for another band or ribbon -- I've seen some stitched on and don't know enough not to damage the hat.

I've enjoyed learning all about fedoras on this site and look forward to learning more from all of you.

Thanks!

Simon

Simon82

One of the Regulars
Akubra's Lawson

Thanks for the welcome, Mycroft!

The Lawson looks a lot like a wider-brimmed Banjo Patterson, and according to www.aussiebushhats.com, is ready to buy in the dark-brownish color "Loden," but the lighter "Heritage Fawn" is special order. The kangaroo-plaited hatband is okay, but I'm looking for something more traditional and less "outback." [BTW, I don't work for either Akubra or its sellers.]

Mycroft

One Too Many
Simon82 said:
Thanks for the welcome, Mycroft!

The Lawson looks a lot like a wider-brimmed Banjo Patterson, and according to www.aussiebushhats.com, is ready to buy in the dark-brownish color "Loden," but the lighter "Heritage Fawn" is special order. The kangaroo-plaited hatband is okay, but I'm looking for something more traditional and less "outback." [BTW, I don't work for either Akubra or its sellers.]

High Quality, it looks like a fedora mixed with a cowboy hat, a unique one and cool colors.

Aaron Hats

Vendor
To change a hat band all you really need is an exacto knife or razor blade. Whether it's stitched or glued on the exacto will get it off. The only thing you need to think about is what to replace it with. If the original is glued on you'll probably want to replace it with something the same width or wider in case you have some glue residue left on the hat.

Good luck.

Simon82

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the tips, Daniel and Aaron! I definitely lean toward the wider ribbons anyway (I really like the one on Chris Cooper's hat in "Seabiscuit"), so that would solve any glue problems. And even if I can't afford the great hats at Optimo, maybe I can afford a great ribbon!

Daniel Riser

A-List Customer
Graham, at Optimo, has such an eye for hat ribbons, you would be amazed! A friend of mine, former posterr, has three montecristis with the most amazing trims. Graham goes all over the world in search of the best, most unique, and sometimes most eccentric selection of ribbons you have ever seen. Tell him what you like, give him your inspirations (I.E. Seabiscuit) and trust the artist! You will not be dissapointed.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
changing bands on hats is not that hard . If it's a good hat, bring it to a hat store if you live near one and usualy they can tack it on . I've also brought hats to shoe repair stores and they've been able to tack it on if they have the right sewing machine .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran