Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How has your Homburg been received?

Yehuda

New in Town
The homburg is more formal than the fedora. I decided that my black Borsalino Continental was too formal for a notched-lapel suit -- it would be better with double breasted/peaked lapels or, of course, tuxedo. But I wanted to wear it with the dark suit, so I pinched the crown and bent the sides up slightly, reducing its formality a bit -- but it is still an elegant formal hat, to be worn with a pocket square and a plain tie.

Rathdown

Practically Family
I have two: a brown that I wear with tweeds & overcoat, and a black that is only worn to funerals, or to black tie functions in the fall/winter.

EggHead

Practically Family
I have a light grey and medium grey, both have diamond creases.
I wear them with dark grey wool coat, black leather jacket and jeans, taupe and black raincoats.

Mystic

Practically Family
Don't know if I could pull off a Homberg or not. Have had bad luck attempting to own one.

I have purchased 3 on ebay and all 3 have either had issues that were not disclosed on ebay auction or the size was incorrectly stated.

I have one now that fits both problems.....undisclosed issues and wrong size.

Maybe the Hat Spirit is trying to tell me something.....like I would look silly in a Homberg and to leave them alone. [huh]

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I need an excuse to wear a suit so I can see how well it fits me dressed up. But I've been trying to incorporate my newly acquired Cavanagh into outfits a little less formal, and if I do say so myself, I think it's been working out:
20120913_143136.jpg

Mark B.

One of the Regulars
I have two Homburgs. One is a 1930's black Adam Long that I wear to weddings and other black tie functions. The other is a 1940's dove grey Stetson Royal De Luxe St. Regis I wear with a grey or blue suit whenever I go out on the town for dinner and a show. Always get lots of compliments and smiles. Most folks seem to appreciate the style in the hat even if they don't know it's a Homburg.

Mystic

Practically Family
I need an excuse to wear a suit so I can see how well it fits me dressed up. But I've been trying to incorporate my newly acquired Cavanagh into outfits a little less formal, and if I do say so myself, I think it's been working out:
20120913_143136.jpg

Jared,
It does work for you....I think what makes the causal Homberg look work for you is your casual manner is which you're wearing it. You're wearing the hat instead of the hat wearing you.
I've seen your photos with some wide brims and panamas or straws with the brim up so you're comfortable with that look.

Stick with it....in my opinion...it works for you. :thumb:

tealseal

A-List Customer
+1 Jared!
I have a grey homburg that I wear as my "casual" hat. If I'm in a button-down shirt, slacks, etc., I go for fedora, but a polo and khakis or jeans I go for the homburg. That combo has been surprisingly well received!
I do wear my homburg with a suit sometimes too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy