Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How is This Hairstyle Combed?

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
When I try to comb my hair, it always looks wrong. The top looks flatter than I am trying for, and the sides are the opposite, and never seem to stay flat, and they puff out. I also always get a giant cowlick on the back of my head in the center. [huh]

I use Brylcreem, and I find the hold it has is fine (I manage to make it stronger by shampooing only once every month.) However, I can't figure out how to comb the style I want (or maybe I have my hair cut wrong.) :confused:

I'd like to wear my hair in a 1950s style (not a pompadour.) The last time I got a haircut, I got long on top, very short on sides (I last got my hair cut a bit back, so it's not so short on the sides anymore.) I'd prefer if the sides were longer, if they stayed combed, that is. Am I getting the wrong haircut for the style I want?

Here are some examples of what I am trying to style my hair like.

cool-1950s-hairstyles-men-widescreen-wallpaper-.jpg
MV5BMzEzOTk4OTQ2OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMzkyODQ2._V1_UY317_CR4,0,214,317_AL_.jpg
lawrence-welk-with-an-accordion1.jpg
lawrence-welk.jpg
Ronald-Reagan.jpg

Last edited:

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
blow drying and shaping your hair into place (with a comb to steer it) is a way to add volume.
you could also try blow drying the top forward, then styling it back with pomade.... that way the hair is going against the way it was dried which can give it some added uplift.

having said that, if your isn't thick enough to begin with and naturally falls flat with pomade added, theres not much you can do.

... except try a thicker pomade. Brylcreem doesn't do anything for volume. it's for 'slick' styles.

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
I'm not exactly interested in higher styles. What I am looking for is slicked sides, but that doesn't seem to happen. They always puff out. I have been getting the sides cut very short, but I don't really like how that looks. I am trying mostly for a style similar to the top picture.

It also helps to have a professional hairdresser at your disposal, as I'll bet both of those celebrities pictured above had.

Pat Spade

Familiar Face
Hi,
let your hair grew a little, but keep the sides short. try some good pomade. Murray`s might be too strong, try something like the blue one of Sweet Georgia Brown`s (a.k.a. a medium pomade). Get your hair wet, apply a fair amount of pomade, and comb immediately afterwards. First comb èm back, then go for a part. Than use a brush to the brider side into way or shape desired. Let dry, use a blow dryer, if you like. And just do and try, there is no ever-valid recepie, you have to find your own..;)

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
You may also have thin or thinning hair Retro - I found that with thin, very fine hair I couldn't get that look either no matter what product or cut.

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
I think Murrays would have too much hold for me. I personally prefer Brylcreem to pomade (it's easier to find, and it has the same hold as Royal Crown if you let it build up.)

I don't think I have thinning hair. What I do think is that it seems that the Brylcreem is not getting on the sides. Should I use a second dab for the sides?

I would like to mention that a similar hairstyle to the first one I posted in the OP is featured in this Brylcreem ad at 0:33. When they show the guy putting it in his hair, it seems he has longer hair than me on the sides.
[video=youtube;o6F4GtyRfto]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6F4GtyRfto[/video]

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy