Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How it was worn.

Canadave

One Too Many
Flashback

Matt Deckard said:
Maybe not wearing it, depends if I can get somone to hold the camera

I'll a pic with or without it on tonight.

Looks a bit like Fozzy Bear's hat.

I'd still love to see a pic of you in that hat.

David

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Lost some of the pics in this thread so I'll have to get them back up. until then.

Clark%20Gable.jpg

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
A better way to drape. Very counter today... High waisted trousers with plenty of room, nicely tied tie in balance with the whole look (not by todays standards). Love that jacket!

I always liked Cooper... He's still my favorite.

The older he got the more he looked like he just didn't care. What a look.

I think this pic made me put on my white flannels today.

Annex%20-%20Cooper,%20Gary_03.jpg

Mountain Man

A-List Customer
I think he is actually using a necktie for a belt - that was quite popular in the 30's - I think Fred Astaire started doing that & it caught on especially with skinny folks

mike

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
Notice that the narrow end of Cooper's tie is longer than the wide end. If anyone wore a tie like that way today, he'd be labeled a hick.

And it's not a publicity still for Mr Deeds Goes to Town, right?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Marc Chevalier said:
Notice that the narrow end of Cooper's tie is longer than the wide end. If anyone wore a tie like that way today, he'd be labeled a hick..
The Eyetalians call that Sprezzatura.

Heathen.:eusa_doh:

62009Simone405Web.jpg

Kiton1.jpg

7019summerjktWeb1.jpg

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
I've worn 20s and 30s ties like that, I like the way it looks... I've seen photos of men wearing them like that, just tossing on the tie and going out! lol

I have a tie that's 2 n' 1... Both ends are exactly the same width! And the label says: 2 for 1 tie! I know Marc has seen it.

Here's a photo of some buddies and I out in the orange groves, notice that one of my friends is wearing his tie such as back longer then front.

l_0deb435da38f8d439e5177ab8008bb86.jpg

To me it looks ok with period dress; with modern dress it looks slovenly!

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Tomasso said:
The Eyetalians call that Sprezzatura.

Heathen.:eusa_doh:

Just don't get it on you.

I think it's the only way I can wear a modern tie nowadays. It's how my grandfather always seams to have his in pics from the 30s... wore ties like jeans, messy but necessary.

Lest I want to pee on the wide end of my modern day ties, I must tuck in the narrow tail.

We need a thread on vintage ties for belts... Where are all the Skinny members?

davestlouis

Practically Family
I don't have any ties that are long enough to have that much skinny end hanging out...my 18 1/2 inch neck eats up a lot of the length, but even at that, there's only so much tie to work with. With older ties, I'm lucky to have enough skinny end to get it down to the label or little holder thingie on the back of the fat end. The middle pic of what I'm taking to be Italian guys...look at his belt. I guess it's designed that way but to me it looks sloppy wrapped so far around him.

Levallois

Practically Family
Matt Deckard said:
A better way to drape. Very counter today... High waisted trousers with plenty of room, nicely tied tie in balance with the whole look (not by todays standards). Love that jacket!

I always liked Cooper... He's still my favorite.

The older he got the more he looked like he just didn't care. What a look.

I think this pic made me put on my white flannels today.

Annex%20-%20Cooper,%20Gary_03.jpg

What I like about this outfit is that it's with a sportcoat from the mid-1930s. My limited experience watching movies from that era was the impression that everybody wore some type of suit - you rarely see anyone in a sport coat. The books provided my FL members in the permanent stickies above show some guys in sportcoats but the movies don't seem to have picked up on this fashion trend. I gravitate more to this look than a suit. It's still classy yet devil-may-care. Now if I could just pull this off like Coop, then I'd be completely happy.

John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy