Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How likely is it to find vintage clothing in larger sizes

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
A few years back I was on a guided tour of the Iowa State Capital building. The host had us sit for a while & watch proceedings in the House of Representatives, in the public seating area (they were out of session, but she was making two points). She asked us, theseveral 6' + men & women in the crown how we felt after a few minuites in the cramped, wooden theatre chairs. "Not very comfortable" we all replied. That's when she indicated the average man in 1886 when the capital was completed was around 5' 4- 5' 7" tall. They also weighed around 120 - 150 lbs. hence, why these seats were planned as they were.

Of course - it's also quite possible that people will not stay & watch very long if the chairs are hard, uncomfortable & cramped as well, which may have also been the point.

Good point also of Peacoat's that most issued jackets in the 40's were to 18-20 year olds who were indeed not fully grown length or width as of yet.

Largely, vintage jackets do not work for me, 26" sleeve length at a minimum, but I am also very smell-aware and really dislike anything that smells smokey, musty, etc. So Reproductions are a much better option for me.

Last edited:

VansonRider

One of the Regulars
I always fugured people were pretty much the same size, but the larger jackets were worn more so they didn't last. A size 44 or 46 jacket could easily keep your son or daughter warm for years even if it's too big. A small jacket would get stored away. Big jackets can be worn by smaller people but not thebother way around. And wearing oversized has been the style in the 80s and 90s, so I figure that's where the bigger jackets ended up.

Jon Crow

One of the Regulars
I've always been lucky with vintage but I guess at 5-7, 72 kilos and having a 40 chest 32 waist helps, same with original ww2 stuff especially for reenactment living history, large sizes are rare

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here in the UK most ‘Vintage’ shops sell crap from the 80’s and 90’s aimed at mostly a student market, the stuff wasn’t generally of good quality then. ‘Nice’ stuff is rare and commands top dollar and is mostly in smaller sizes. As a 46” chest UK size it’s almost impossible to find decent vintage gear. I now only bother with reproduction from the likes of SJC Clothing and Pike Brothers. My jackets come from Eastmans, I’ve never seen an old A-2 over here and G-1’s command high prices, are few and far between and small. Same problems with vintage nylon, though I’ve had some success through eBay.

Jon Crow

One of the Regulars
Here in the UK most ‘Vintage’ shops sell crap from the 80’s and 90’s aimed at mostly a student market, the stuff wasn’t generally of good quality then. ‘Nice’ stuff is rare and commands top dollar and is mostly in smaller sizes. As a 46” chest UK size it’s almost impossible to find decent vintage gear. I now only bother with reproduction from the likes of SJC Clothing and Pike Brothers. My jackets come from Eastmans, I’ve never seen an old A-2 over here and G-1’s command high prices, are few and far between and small. Same problems with vintage nylon, though I’ve had some success through eBay.
Yeah mall store crap, 10 quid a bundle, real vintage is different, I have original vintage Rayon Hawaii shirts, good vintage levis jeans including original big E, those 80's fashion leathers most are cringe worthy and look like a screwed up ball of paper after being in a bundle, I like vintage G1 though and I've never seen too many vintage old A2 here, Eastman command high prices here in Europe, quality vintage will always hold a good price!

bn1966

Yeah mall store crap, 10 quid a bundle, real vintage is different, I have original vintage Rayon Hawaii shirts, good vintage levis jeans including original big E, those 80's fashion leathers most are cringe worthy and look like a screwed up ball of paper after being in a bundle, I like vintage G1 though and I've never seen too many vintage old A2 here, Eastman command high prices here in Europe, quality vintage will always hold a good price!
I‘ve collected some decent nylon flight jackets most of which I imported..N-2A etc. Found one decent shop in Bristol that quickly relocated to France..they had some good stuff..hugely expensive and mostly small sizes. Mostly scattered ‘vintage’ shops are selling gear from a mashed up bale. Aside from nylon it’s all repro for me..

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
I consider my self a size 44 and have many Vintage jackets in this size. These are jackets from the 1930s through the 1950s.

I am surprised when I get a vintage jacket that is too large, usually the other way around.

Much easier to find Wool jackets/coats in larger sizes.

Depends on what you want. More 50s jackets in larger sizes.

Jon Crow

One of the Regulars
I‘ve collected some decent nylon flight jackets most of which I imported..N-2A etc. Found one decent shop in Bristol that quickly relocated to France..they had some good stuff..hugely expensive and mostly small sizes. Mostly scattered ‘vintage’ shops are selling gear from a mashed up bale. Aside from nylon it’s all repro for me..
Some of the repro is good, especially early Candy cane, Toyo Buzz Rickson stuff, Japanese selvedge raw denim also

bn1966

Some of the repro is good, especially early Candy cane, Toyo Buzz Rickson stuff, Japanese selvedge raw denim also
Pike Brothers make some quality clothing with a big focus on workwear but diversify into military clothing & flightwear (not the most accurate jackets), Naval pullovers, Watch caps etc. For me things don’t have to be 100% accurate to a vintage pattern for workwear. Thing I love about Pike is larger sizes available and regular additions to their catalog.

https://www.pikebrothers.com/

Second most used is SJC clothing who replicate early work and leisurewear including suits and shoes. I use them mainly for early polo shirts and silk neckerchiefs. They have regular sales which are good value, with me picking up a denim workwear jacket and leisure jacket recently. Quality is very good.

https://www.cathcartlondon.com/

Both of the above have excellent levels of customer service.

Jon Crow

One of the Regulars
Pike Brothers make some quality clothing with a big focus on workwear but diversify into military clothing & flightwear (not the most accurate jackets), Naval pullovers, Watch caps etc. For me things don’t have to be 100% accurate to a vintage pattern for workwear. Thing I love about Pike is larger sizes available and regular additions to their catalog.

https://www.pikebrothers.com/

Second most used is SJC clothing who replicate early work and leisurewear including suits and shoes. I use them mainly for early polo shirts and silk neckerchiefs. They have regular sales which are good value, with me picking up a denim workwear jacket and leisure jacket recently. Quality is very good.

https://www.cathcartlondon.com/

Both of the above have excellent levels of customer service.
I've seen pike brothers stuff, it looks good

Rugby

One of the Regulars
And speaking of vintage clothing, here are the pictures from the Levi's advertisement campaign promoting their new line of "vintage" clothing. Very dapper construction workers.
The leather jacket in the first picture looks awesome.

Levi's Vintage Clothing Metropolis Collection