Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many dresses can 1 gal own?

I'm quite proud of my collection. I have gone from always wearing jeans to dresses almost every day. I had 2 dresses when I moved to the Black Country in January, now I have about 15. I'm working on having at least a months worth so I don't have to do the laundry that often lol

Actually, scrap that, I'm working on having 45,975 :D

Benjamin will not be happy with me...

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
As many as you can bring in the house? Does that mean they have to have a storage place once inside? LOL!
I'm so aggrivated with an article I read recently, a woman in Indiana who stores her vintage in a storage unit. Racks upon racks, I think it said over 4,000 items. And she won't sell, and I don't think she even wears it! (I think she's an older gal). Oh if I could just visit!! :eek:

Ruby I get the fever every spring, but I am getting pickier as well.
Here's just one of my three armoires, and I have a clothing rack full, and totes upon totes, suit cases full, and my dressers. Not all vintage, but it's getting that way!
Nikki
1407680837_b58e1516ff_b.jpg

This pic is before I added the rest of the clothes. I couldn't possibley stuff another dress in here now.
1408559954_6a8d7e0331_b.jpg

Fifties*Freak

Familiar Face
Not counting the 400 dresses I own.... those are the ones I am selling! I have about 150 dresses. That is because all I wear are dresses and skirts, I don't even own a pair of pants besides pajama pants.

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
I don't think a gal can ever own too many dresses. I pratically live in dresses, both modern and vintage, I think as long as a gal can afford to keep buying, she can have as many dresses as she can afford and to store.

Penny Dreadful

One of the Regulars
I think it could be considered too much when you have items you love but never get around to wearing. I hate waste. That said, I'll probably keep shopping until we need a bigger apartment lol

Marla

A-List Customer
I think the real question is 'how many do I need minimum?'

The more dresses I acquire the more dresses I think I still need!

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Can there be too many?? I much prefer wearing dresses and skirts compared to pants, modern and vintage both. I have day dresses and skirts and lots of evening wear dresses and skirts too, as I'm a social ballroom dancer. My Mister is quite delighted and I think pleasantly amused that I wear pretty and feminine dresses and skirts almost all the time:)

MissMeraRose

New in Town
I don't think that there is any such thing as too many dresses in a wardrobe. I wear dresses so much that I've gotten to the point where I don't really wear pants anymore, especially not jeans! lol

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
I hear ya girlfriend! Most pants that are made nowadays look awful, and fit even worse! Finding a style of jeans that fit was always a nightmare for me when I was younger!

Right now, I have one good pair of boot cut jeans and two pairs of boot cut cords by Ralph Lauren that I like from a couple of years ago. My dress trousers are all the same; high waisted, pleated, lined from RL. I have them in three colors in wool for the cold seasons and two colors in linen for the hot seasons. They were bought in 2003. Two have been relined, one has a repair from getting torn on a low fence. When I finally wear one pair of these trousers out, I'm taking them apart and making a pattern from it.

I don't think that there is any such thing as too many dresses in a wardrobe. I wear dresses so much that I've gotten to the point where I don't really wear pants anymore, especially not jeans! lol

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
That's why I cannot go to vintage shows or shops these days (no $$ for that anymore), there are too many pretty 40s dresses out there, they are just waiting for me, I know it... and too many lovely 30s dresses out there for my dd too:)

I've been a good girl-I've bought only one new day dress (see current avatar pic) and one, oops two! cocktail dresses in the last several months. But I do wear them often! Two were on sale even, can that help to justify??

There can NEVER be too many. :)
You're always see another one and say "ahh.. I NEED that one.. TOO". lol

Last edited:

crwritt

One Too Many
I may need to pare down my collection, due to lack of closet space. I've made most of them myself, and
haven't changed size in years, so they pretty much all still fit. Trouble is, when I feel like sewing dresses, I
make two or three.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I need more dresses like a hole in the head. My rule of thumb is, if I covet it for more than a month, its mine.

What I do need (want) are more circle skirts, which I'm determined to make myself!

Lily Powers

Practically Family
Can there be too many?? I much prefer wearing dresses and skirts compared to pants, modern and vintage both.

I love dresses and skirts too, especially circle skirts - that big circumference is too much fun to pass up. And cotton - that smooth, thick bedsheet-type cotton with a 4" hem that gives the garment some nice movement. On Fridays when 99.9% of the workforce in my office is wearing jeans, I still stick with my dresses and skirts.

How many dresses can one own? I may be reaching my limit, but I wear them all.

MissMeraRose

New in Town
I hear ya girlfriend! Most pants that are made nowadays look awful, and fit even worse! Finding a style of jeans that fit was always a nightmare for me when I was younger!

Right now, I have one good pair of boot cut jeans and two pairs of boot cut cords by Ralph Lauren that I like from a couple of years ago. My dress trousers are all the same; high waisted, pleated, lined from RL. I have them in three colors in wool for the cold seasons and two colors in linen for the hot seasons. They were bought in 2003. Two have been relined, one has a repair from getting torn on a low fence. When I finally wear one pair of these trousers out, I'm taking them apart and making a pattern from it.

I have the hardest time finding pants, mostly due to the fact that I'm 5'2", even the "short" cuts are long on me. haha I do have one pair of sailor-style jeans that I wear, but they need some repairs. I hate trying things on, but I think I'll have to have a day specifically for pants shopping.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24