Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many dresses can 1 gal own?

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
I think I have Spring fever. The dresses are just calling my name this year. I've never had luck with vintage daywear,so I normally stick with a skirt/sweater combo.
However,I'm seeing alot of retail these last few years that are really turning the vintage inspiration up on dresses.
Plus,since this is Isaac's last year for Target I feel like I have to load up.
Shoes,too! The peeptoes,pumps,maryjanes,and wedges are bountiful and in many price points.
Anyone else suffering from Spring Fever?

Smuterella

One Too Many
its only too many when you can't fit any more in the house

i need hats too, I'm very unsure on day hats though, I'm not sure where to start

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I own far too many. I feel sort of weird about having so many - so much so that I decided not to get any of the new Isaac for Target dresses. But if it's his last year....well, I may have to indulge! lol

JazzBaby

Practically Family
I work in a clothes shop and we get a lot of vintage inspired dresses in during the Spring/Summer season. And well, when you're looking at it all day you just have to buy it! Summer hat-wise, I'd defenitely recommend a good straw sunhat in a style that suits you. They go with most day dresses (especially if you add a matching scarf or ribbon) and look great with wedges.

epr25

Practically Family
Our basement (our closet) has been compared to a store. We have 3, 12' long rods that are full. Only one is my husbands. I have started weeding out the lesser vintage for the better stuff. I try to keep to buying only what is really nice or what really strikes me. Working at our vintage clothing store and being paid in clothing is not helping though.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I have a fair number of dresses, but I guess it might still be considered a lot by some people. I used to buy pretty much anything that fit and now I've started becoming pickier, in part because I can. I used to not find too much vintage that fit me and then I lost some weight in my waist and a bit in my hips and suddenly I find tons of clothes that fit me like they were made for me. I have more to choose from now, and my knowledge has grown, so my criteria became a bit more strict. I won't buy it if it needs any mending or alteration that's going to take me more than 10 minutes or if it's not something I'll wear at least a few times during the year. I give preference to dresses I can wear to work. I must be absolutely in love with it to buy it, unless it's part of a trade or very cheap (like $10 or something).

playbelle

New in Town
KittyT said:
I must be absolutely in love with it to buy it, unless it's part of a trade or very cheap (like $10 or something).
That's the rule I've been trying to adhere to this year, as my closets are way too full already. Not always successful at sticking to it though...

Honey Doll

Practically Family
Hats

If your looking for hats, try my girl Belle at "Boring Sidney" in Etsy... here....

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5007565

If the link doesn't work try this... www.BoringSidney.etsy.com

She's getting in some vintage 40s hat blocks and planning some new straw hats...her work is lovely...I highly recommend. She also does custom work and is very responsive.

On her site is a page for 40s/pinup; a page for 20s style and also take a look at the Neo-Victorian as that shape makes for a lovely doll hat style. She did one of these for me in straw!

Honey Doll

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
OMG! Boring Sidney is my top favourite of all favourite Etsy sellers. Ooh she's lucky she's not my friend, I'd be demanding hats off her every Christmas, birthday, Monday, etc lol lol

Straw you say, how fantastic!

Honey Doll

Practically Family
Fleur

Fleur De Guerre said:
OMG! Boring Sidney is my top favourite of all favourite Etsy sellers. Ooh she's lucky she's not my friend, I'd be demanding hats off her every Christmas, birthday, Monday, etc lol lol

Straw you say, how fantastic!

Have you picked up anything from Belle? She's a doll. She's trying the Ingrid (shown on her site in wool) in a cream straw. I can't wait to see what she comes up with when she gets these vintage blocks!

Honey Doll

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I haven't bought one off her yet as I need to really think about what I want so it matches my outfits, though I have messaged her and she seems perfectly lovely. In fact the Ingrid in Straw is probably exactly the kind of thing I'd want! I'll be watching eagerly :)

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
Honey Doll said:
If your looking for hats, try my girl Belle at "Boring Sidney" in Etsy... here....

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5007565

If the link doesn't work try this... www.BoringSidney.etsy.com

She's getting in some vintage 40s hat blocks and planning some new straw hats...her work is lovely...I highly recommend. She also does custom work and is very responsive.

On her site is a page for 40s/pinup; a page for 20s style and also take a look at the Neo-Victorian as that shape makes for a lovely doll hat style. She did one of these for me in straw!

Honey Doll

LOVE!!! Thank you so much for pointing her out. I'll contact her to see if she'd mind if I posted her site with a few pics on my blog.
I want one of eveything.

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
Ladies- I'm glad I'm not alone. Since having my kiddo the majority of my collection no longer fits. I weigh less,but everything's shifted. Perfect excuse to refurbish.
So I'm collecting new vintage inspired dresses and hope to pair them with vintage hats,gloves,and jewellry.

KittyT-I'll have to remember to adhere to your rules. It would help to weed out anything that may just sit in the closet.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
rubyredlocks said:
KittyT-I'll have to remember to adhere to your rules. It would help to weed out anything that may just sit in the closet.

I have things that I've bought in the past that have just never gotten worn (if it's a special occasion dress, I might make an exception) or that needed some alteration. Most of the time, I realize these alterations are way beyond my skill set. I cannot justify keeping these items and sell them, usually for money that I will spend on something that I can wear and enjoy instead of keeping something that I will look at longingly every time I walk into my closet.

JazzBaby

Practically Family
Fleur De Guerre said:
In fact the Ingrid in Straw is probably exactly the kind of thing I'd want!

Me too! Although it's going to be hard not ordering several at a time. They're all so stunning!

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
As many as you want :) I also have become very picky, last year I bought a Kamehameha dress and it was expensive, listed in excellent condition, but when it arrived all the elastic needed replacing, a job I hate with a passion, so I'm extra strict with anything like that now. It has be super cheap if it needs repair or alteration. I would rather pay more and be able to wear it straight away. I also have my favorite styles that I will pay more for. Vintage Hawaiian wear and border print skirts. Just cause it fits dose'nt mean I should buy it. But still if I could have hundreds of my favorites I would.

miserabelle

One of the Regulars
I love dresses, I wear them more than anything else so I have quite a lot. I probably buy too many shoes... though xx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany