Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many jackets are too many jackets? RMC Freeman

111Joel111

Familiar Face
Hey Guys,
Need to pick your brains. I love this RMC Brown Freeman in Deerskin and it's been on my radar for a while, attached a pic below (btw whoever does the styling for Standard and Strange should get a pat on the back and that model makes everything look amazing). I want it but the thing is I've bought 3 leather jackets this year and I'm concerned I may have too much (I'm not really that concerned) The brown deerskin fills a hole in my wardrobe of something I don't have... but I don't want to be labeled as crazy by going overboard. What do you guy think? Do you like the RMC Freeman? Bonus answer goes to anyone that's owned the Freewheelers Bodie and can give a comparison.
Thanks for your help!

Screenshot 2023-09-07 at 11.17.39 AM.png

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
Well….. in this vicinity 3 jackets in a year is rookie numbers so I don’t think you’ll get talked off the ledge.
The correct number of jackets is probably 2. I heavy (if you live in a cold climate) and one light. Everything after that is futile attempts at filling a void or distraction from existential dread.

jeo

One Too Many
I really like this jacket. Was thinking about it myself. And this is coming from someone who owns over 65 jackets!

I own the Bodie in deerskin and tried this one on at S&S NY.

The Freeman fits more generous than the Bodie all around with the main difference being the back length. The back length on the Bodie is very short.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well….. in this vicinity 3 jackets in a year is rookie numbers so I don’t think you’ll get talked off the ledge.
The correct number of jackets is probably 2. I heavy (if you live in a cold climate) and one light. Everything after that is futile attempts at filling a void or distraction from existential dread.
Waaaiiit... you certainly mean 4, so as you write, but each once in black and once in brown ;)

OP:
If you like it and want it, then the current jackets shouldn't matter.

111Joel111

Familiar Face
Haha... Rookie!!! That's what I want to hear! Definitely looking for the distraction... Thanks man!!!

111Joel111

Familiar Face
I really like this jacket. Was thinking about it myself. And this is coming from someone who owns over 65 jackets!

I own the Bodie in deerskin and tried this one on at S&S NY.

The Freeman fits more generous than the Bodie all around with the main difference being the back length. The back length on the Bodie is very short.
Nice!!! Love to hear that!
What do you prefer? I must admit, I prefer a shorter jacket. They both look awesome though. Thanks man!!!

111Joel111

Familiar Face
Waaaiiit... you certainly mean 4, so as you write, but each once in black and once in brown ;)

OP:
If you like it and want it, then the current jackets shouldn't matter.
Thanks man! Yeah definitely want it... but trying to be a responsible adult.

jeo

One Too Many
Nice!!! Love to hear that!
What do you prefer? I must admit, I prefer a shorter jacket. They both look awesome though. Thanks man!!!

Hard to say since I don't own the Freeman. They're both great jackets.

If you can go to S&S to try on the Freeman before you buy, definitely do that.

Brandrea33

One Too Many
I’ve been looking at this one myself. They only have one left in my size.

I had it sitting in my cart, ready to check out but something gives me pause …. Not a fan of storm cuffs and there’s no interior pocket.

That, and I’ve never had much success with Japanese fits.

111Joel111

Familiar Face
I’ve been looking at this one myself. They only have one left in my size.

I had it sitting in my cart, ready to check out but something gives me pause …. Not a fan of storm cuffs and there’s no interior pocket.

That, and I’ve never had much success with Japanese fits.
Good to know. I do love an inside pocket. Thanks man!

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
No similar design. I have the Rainbow Country Hercules but that's the Sears catalogue double yoke fancy back. This RMC Freeman has the Roughwear back. There are lots of interesting photos in the iconic Hercules thread.

The Freeman jacket is also on my radar. Japan just restocked too...

The RMC/FW sleeves are a bit shorter like Brandrea33 said. I also find RMC measure their jacket sleeves about 0.75" longer than how I would measure them, so whatever their web site says, minus 0.75". No inside pocket is also a bummer. The austerities of 2023. But overall I still think the Freeman is awesome. Fujioka deerskin and the roughwear back design makes this jacket a star.

Thanks man! Yeah ticks em all! Any other similar designs from other makers you'd recommend?

111Joel111

Familiar Face
No similar design. I have the Rainbow Country Hercules but that's the Sears catalogue double yoke fancy back. This RMC Freeman has the Roughwear back. There are lots of interesting photos in the iconic Hercules thread.

The Freeman jacket is also on my radar. Japan just restocked too...

The RMC/FW sleeves are a bit shorter like Brandrea33 said. I also find RMC measure their jacket sleeves about 0.75" longer than how I would measure them, so whatever their web site says, minus 0.75". No inside pocket is also a bummer. The austerities of 2023. But overall I still think the Freeman is awesome. Fujioka deerskin and the roughwear back design makes this jacket a star.
Appreciate the detailed reply! I think you sold me on it! Who sells it in Japan? Thanks man!

I have to say I’m not a fan of the jacket in question. It appears to give the wearer an unwanted 25lbs of Budweiser and sausage pizza, but to each their own. As far as how many goes, @Bfd70 answered it perfectly. It also depends on if you are a collector, and you want to gather things you may never wear. For myself, once I start throwing jackets on the floor in my closet and football sledding what’s on hangers to make room…it’s far too much and the axe comes out.

111Joel111

Familiar Face
I have to say I’m not a fan of the jacket in question. It appears to give the wearer an unwanted 25lbs of Budweiser and sausage pizza, but to each their own. As far as how many goes, @Bfd70 answered it perfectly. It also depends on if you are a collector, and you want to gather things you may never wear. For myself, once I start throwing jackets on the floor in my closet and football sledding what’s on hangers to make room…it’s far too much and the axe comes out.
Haha... so you're saying it'll give me an artificial beer belly? I don't know who would want that. I'm not a collector, I'm going to be wearing it and hopefully for a long time and often. Got a fav you'd recommend as a replacement?

Haha... so you're saying it'll give me an artificial beer belly? I don't know who would want that. I'm not a collector, I'm going to be wearing it and hopefully for a long time and often. Got a fav you'd recommend as a replacement?
Indeed. Much like most jackets with knits this jacket creates a bulbous gut:
IMG_0659.jpeg

I can’t say that I do have a recommendation for a substitute. I prefer a Halfbelt style over these low adjustment belts. I prefer my leathers to fit like this, with taper below my lats and flare at the waist:
IMG_8549.jpeg

I also like a collar that has some spread across the shoulders. But this isn’t a comparable to the style you’ve selected. @MrProper has done a very nice job of taking the low adjustment belt style and defeating the belly bulge. I tried to do this but ended up with a tube:
IMG_6297.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner