Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many jackets are too many jackets? RMC Freeman

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
It's suppose to be this Hercules, I think, the steerhide version:
IMG_0481.jpg
IMG_0482.JPG
IMG_0483.JPG

And from all the fit photos and sizing info I am quite certain it could be built on the same pattern block as my Rainbow Country one:
RC 42.jpg

The RMC Freeman may or may not have the ") (" at the waist, like the RC, I am not sure. The S&S model messed up by cinching the bottom, if he just un cinched it should look better.

The biggest thing that stopped me from buying the RMC Freeman was its 262000 yen price tag. If it were under 180000 yen I'd already bought it. My reasoning behind this is because I could get a Horween steerhide one with the repro labels and all the period details from GW for $1600 something, unless he increased his prices recently. I would have to wait a while but he is also one of the only makers who went as far as to reproduce the label and all.

IMG_0484.JPG
IMG_0485.JPG

IMG_0487.JPG

The GW fit is very similar to the RC, just a bit shorter a the back, and a little more room at the armpits, making his jackets more "Y" shaped. Below is my GW HB fit, I would imagine his Hercules will be built using this as a base but with all the Hercules details.
GW 44.jpg

Buying repro jackets is like fishing. I can go to an expensive aquarium and buy the most expensive fish, or I can take my time, enjoying the sun and have a drink and wait for the right fish to swim onto my hook.
Those with the means and no time to waste, why not, life is too short. Please buy this Freeman jacket so we can live through your experience.
But if you sit around long enough, there are better deals. The current Mobster is 242000 yen, I lucked into one BNWT for 160000 yen on the used market. Patience has its own rewards... RMC is upsizing their entire line, and their Japanese customers will end up with a jacket that's one size or two too big, and these BNWT jackets will show up on the used market sooner or later...

111Joel111

Familiar Face
I like the design of the jacket, especially the back. However, the pattern does look pretty awful. If Gen (the model in the photo) doesn't look good in it, then it's worrying.
And there I was thinking he looked pretty good in it… guess I have to keep looking. Cheers!!!

morrison2951

Practically Family
Looks like I've been sampling quite a few:

my collection so far-

Wolf
Kelso
Thedi
GW
Eastman
Aero
Vanson
Wested
G&B
Norshor

VansonRider

One of the Regulars
I have to say I’m not a fan of the jacket in question. It appears to give the wearer an unwanted 25lbs of Budweiser and sausage pizza, but to each their own. As far as how many goes, @Bfd70 answered it perfectly. It also depends on if you are a collector, and you want to gather things you may never wear. For myself, once I start throwing jackets on the floor in my closet and football sledding what’s on hangers to make room…it’s far too much and the axe comes out.
“Football sledding what’s on hangers”…
Ton! you can’t post things like that it’s TOO REAL.

Chris_K

One of the Regulars
All of the boys raise valid points, Canuck Panda speaks the truth, Gen (The S&S model) is wearing his brown one far too cinched, a tiny bit of cinch is all this jacket needs.

I just picked up one of these beauties in black a few months ago, as soon as I saw it I knew I needed one. It's truly beautiful and the deerskin is out of this world, literally from another dimension. It's the thickest deerskin I've handled, strong, yet soft and supple. The grain is like nothing you've seen before up close. Forgive me, my iPhone doesn't do this jacket an inch of justice in the image below, but it's the best I can do.

The thing is, McCoy's have literally cut this jacket like for like against the vintage Sears Hercules Canuck linked above. So, it's a classic cut, slightly fuller fit, fuller fitting sleeves etc. So if super slim and trim is what you're all about, this one might not be for you. However, if you can appreciate a more classic cut, this is up there with the best of them, truly, it's a modern work of art in very close tribute to a heavyweight classic.

thumbnail_image0-9.jpg

Last edited:

VansonRider

One of the Regulars
I also dabble the vintage bicycle collecting world, and we have a scientifically derived formula for determining the correct number of old bicycles to own.

N=N+1

Where N represents the number of currently owned bicycles while N+1 represents the “appropriate” number to own.

So once you obtain another bicycle you sadly must reapply the formula, making N+1 the new “N” and you continue hoarding, I mean collecting.

There was a recent addendum to the formula, namely N=S-1

This represents the number of old bicycles that would cause your spouse to leave, with the appropriate number of bicycles being one fewer than that number.

I suggest N=N+1 being the appropriate number of leather jackets one should have in their possession at any one time unless you are at risk of running afoul of the N=S-1 addendum.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
All of the boys raise valid points, Canuck Panda speaks the truth, Gen (The S&S model) is wearing his brown one far too cinched, a tiny bit of cinch is all this jacket needs.

I just picked up one of these beauties in black a few months ago, as soon as I saw it I knew I needed one. It's truly beautiful and the deerskin is out of this world, literally from another dimension. It's the thickest deerskin I've handled, strong, yet soft and supple. The grain is like nothing you've seen before up close. Forgive me, my iPhone doesn't do this jacket an inch of justice in the image below, but it's the best I can do.

The thing is, McCoy's have literally cut this jacket like for like against the vintage Sears Hercules Canuck linked above. So, it's a classic cut, slightly fuller fit, fuller fitting sleeves etc. So if super slim and trim is what you're all about, this one might not be for you. However, if you can appreciate a more classic cut, this is up there with the best of them, truly, it's a modern work of art in very close tribute to a heavyweight classic.

View attachment 548351

I love how you wear it!

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
I also dabble the vintage bicycle collecting world, and we have a scientifically derived formula for determining the correct number of old bicycles to own.

N=N+1

Where N represents the number of currently owned bicycles while N+1 represents the “appropriate” number to own.

So once you obtain another bicycle you sadly must reapply the formula, making N+1 the new “N” and you continue hoarding, I mean collecting.

There was a recent addendum to the formula, namely N=S-1

This represents the number of old bicycles that would cause your spouse to leave, with the appropriate number of bicycles being one fewer than that number.

I suggest N=N+1 being the appropriate number of leather jackets one should have in their possession at any one time unless you are at risk of running afoul of the N=S-1 addendum.

This makes perfect sense!

You are applauded for finally introducing a scientific approach to a long unresolved issue.
Stomach-feeling tells me the formulas must be correct, but I will need additional data to verify/falsify. I shall start the research immediately!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner