Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many of you owns/buying Lamb leather jacket ?

Kfz

Familiar Face
For daily wear, l can’t imagine with out a smooth soft lamb leather jacket. If Aero or Thedi offers lamb leather as a custom option, l would order one. What do you guys think? Thanks

morrison2951

Practically Family
Not that high dollar, but to give you an idea here's my Wested Indy.... in lamb, I think. It's very soft.

Attachments

• 20220212_192341.jpg
    20220212_192341.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 164

dannyk

One Too Many
No thanks... If you want soft get some sheep, deer or moose, but lamb leather is basically tissue paper, it serves no purpouse other than being cheap and available.
Concur. Deer, moose, even American bison. Deer is usually the thinnest of them and soft but can take a beating and looks great with age. Lots of moccasins and gloves made of deer. Moose and American bison typically much thicker but not much heavier. They are a bit spongey and drape and move well. You won’t be disappointed.

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I see most of the options have already mentioned, but I will add one for fun: Ostrich :D

Otherwise a thinner - under a mm thick - cowhide or HH could do the job as well.

Edward

Bartender
Lamb is very popular in the fashion industry because, being thinner, it is much easier to work with. A lot of mainstream buyers also prefer it over heavier leathers for comfort. It would certainly be easy to fall into thinking of lamb as lesser quality because of the commonality of cheaper products made from it, but I'm sure there's good stuff somewhere. Lamb's properties are what they are - it's much more fragile than most of what we tend to prefer in these parts, but on the other hand its lightness can be an advantage for warmer weather / climates. Personally, I prefer goat for a lighter leather but which I'm not afraid of tearing by leaning on a wall. Sheepskin, as used by Lewis, was an extremely popular leather for British motorcycle jackets back in the day. I'm wary of it myself, but have never owned a jacket made from it so can't claim to speak from experience. Kangaroo is, I'm told, the best combination of lightness and abrasion resistance, beating even goat. I'd like to try a roo jacket, but I've never seen it available as an option over here.

marker2037

Practically Family
I own 3 lambskin jackets and I too disagree about them being tissue paper thin, but yes, they are less abrasion resistant than other animals for sure. That doesn't mean they can't find a place in your closet as it's super comfortable, drapes better than anything, and wears light.

Kangaroo leather is used in motorcycle gloves for it's softness and extremely high abrasion resistance by the way.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
If you want smooth, Calf is probably more luxurious than lamb, can be thinner and just as soft but with super tight smooth grain. I believe most mens luxury fashion brands make their jackets out of smooth calf.

If you don’t mind grain texture then there are so many choices, goat, sheep, glovey game hides like others have mentioned. Endless possibilities. These are much better choices than the expensive luxury fashion jackets imo.

Yeah sometimes I get sad and question the things I love. It does cause conflict in me at times.

I know it's a by-product of meat industry but I don't like the idea in any case. To be honest, if tomorrow the world decided all leather products are banned, I'd be perfectly happy with this decision.

marker2037

Practically Family
I know it's a by-product of meat industry but I don't like the idea in any case. To be honest, if tomorrow the world decided all leather products are banned, I'd be perfectly happy with this decision.
You'd have to ban all meat products first, which would probably be for the better.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
This thread's gone a bit off the rails, no?

Another happy lambskin jacket owner here. I've had my lambskin Wested Raiders since 2003, and yeah, it did once get torn accidentally early on and needed a repair. But it's held up great for the 16 years since, both the hide itself and the hardware and construction (despite the endless "Wested's jackets are just film costume, they're not tough enough for real wear" comments around these halls.) Anyway, I wear my lambskin jacket just as much as my goatskin, cowhide, and horsehide jackets. It's light and supple, very comfortable with its all-cotton lining... just the thing when it gets a bit too warm for an A-2.

If you want a lambskin jacket, get a lambskin jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk