Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many of you owns/buying Lamb leather jacket ?

I love my sheepskin Lewis Leathers jacket, but I am careful wearing it as it could scratch or tear if it gets caught on something. My cat tends to lay on my jackets, and she has left marks on most. My LL hangs in a securely closed closet unlike others that get casually tossed around.

Tikimel1

New in Town
I’ve got my eye on a Schott 232 in a waxy lambskin. Not sure what that means in terms of fragility, but I keep coming back to it in my search for the perfect unicorn jacket.

Ideally, I want a summer version of my vintage flight jacket, but without the extra fur it seems lamb would certainly be light enough.

Leigh H

Practically Family
I’ve got my eye on a Schott 232 in a waxy lambskin. Not sure what that means in terms of fragility, but I keep coming back to it in my search for the perfect unicorn jacket.

Ideally, I want a summer version of my vintage flight jacket, but without the extra fur it seems lamb would certainly be light enough.

That will be buttery soft, nice for the summer evenings.

Viking752

Practically Family
Calf is my favorite by far but I don't like the fact that it exists to be honest... Nor lamb for that matter.
After seeing a documentary on the ostrich skin business, I will not own another pair of boots made of that. That being said, my calfskin cowboy boots are a favorite Of mine.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This thread's gone a bit off the rails, no?

Another happy lambskin jacket owner here. I've had my lambskin Wested Raiders since 2003, and yeah, it did once get torn accidentally early on and needed a repair. But it's held up great for the 16 years since, both the hide itself and the hardware and construction (despite the endless "Wested's jackets are just film costume, they're not tough enough for real wear" comments around these halls.) Anyway, I wear my lambskin jacket just as much as my goatskin, cowhide, and horsehide jackets. It's light and supple, very comfortable with its all-cotton lining... just the thing when it gets a bit too warm for an A-2.

If you want a lambskin jacket, get a lambskin jacket.

I will discourage people from getting lambskin jackets for many things, but my own lamb Wested has also held up pretty well. It's not flimsy in the way a lot of fashion lamb (and fashion cow) are. I think to some extent what we think of as flimsy lamb is a matter of skiving/splitting.

It's less durable in the sense that it's not going to handle a motorcycle skid, yes, but I don't know that this translates in the same way to daily wear.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Because I live on a tropical island I have been trying out a lot of lighter weight leather. I had Five Star make this cross zip out of their seal brown lambskin. It is wearable but lacks a certain feel and drape. I don't worry about it getting damaged.
IMG_4204.JPG
IMG_4257.JPG
IMG_4249.JPG
IMG_4274.JPG

Wouldn’t buy a lamb skin purely based on my experience with it. I’m sure there’s very nice lamb. Just not willing to pay nor do I have any interest in it. I suppose it’s because I don’t want a warm weather jacket either. I love not needing a jacket as much as I love needing one.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
And then there is Capeskin, which Miriam Webster says is:
A light flexible leather made from sheepskins with the natural grain retained and used especially for gloves and garments.

Apparently most of the really old Capeskin did not survive.

This old Mcgregor is made from some kind of domesticated, ruminant mammal. It is paper thin in places but still holding up well.

IMG_4563 2.jpg
IMG_4451.JPG
IMG_4476.JPG
IMG_4361.JPG
IMG_4388.JPG

Last edited:

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
No thanks... If you want soft get some sheep, deer or moose, but lamb leather is basically tissue paper, it serves no purpouse other than being cheap and available.
I had an Indy jacket that was lamb, which I think I may have purchased from someone off here, actually. While the leather wasn't extremely thin, it was extremely soft. In fact, it almost didn't feel like leather, despite having all the tells of an older leather jacket. I know that's what some people may like, but for me it just had too much give. It didn't feel like it was keeping its shape on me. I ended up selling it, but it was a learning experience. I may personally not like lamb, but if you're looking for a very soft and supple leather, lamb may be a consideration.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I think the only cool jacket made from thin skin like lamb or thin sheep is aviator style with elastic cuff, its blousy style will make the skin to look fuller and doesn't develop hard fold line creases but making for more even characters, drapes and grain developments throughout.

Damon141

Practically Family
This lamb looks interesting, but for not much more you could get a thicker sheepskin from Lewis

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Anything in the Bovidae (Sheep/Lamb/Cape/Bison/Goat/Antelope...etc) family is great. Not all are thin either. But they are all very soft. Wears like thick stretchy cloth. Not everything needs to be stiffy like horsehide. On days I want something softer, but still want to wear leather, I reach for anything in the Bovidae family.

IMG_2988.JPG

Anything in the Bovidae (Sheep/Lamb/Cape/Bison/Goat/Antelope...etc) family is great. Not all are thin either. But they are all very soft. Wears like thick stretchy cloth. Not everything needs to be stiffy like horsehide. On days I want something softer, but still want to wear leather, I reach for anything in the Bovidae family.

View attachment 424461
That’s my favorite jacket of yours (if I’ve kept accurate tabs, which is doubtful!). The color and grain are just divine. And the collar is on point!

Damon141

Practically Family

View attachment 424461
I like that texture/grain. I used to have a shave or travel bag made of American Bison with that same grain. Thick but soft and tough.

newtojackets

Practically Family

View attachment 424461
That piece is a beaut, where is it from?

Dbtk44

New in Town
I have a couple lambskin jackets in loosely A-1/A-2 style, and they're the most comfortable jackets I've ever worn.
Seems like they are VERY good at regulating body temp, because I've worn them in high 20's thru high 60's temps, and never been too warm or too cold. Since they're from different manufacturers, I gotta chalk it up to the lambskin.

Attachments

• 20230512_081547.jpg
    20230512_081547.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 33
  • 20230512_081602.jpg
    20230512_081602.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 35

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points