Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many own a vintage suit?

Vintage/Modern Suit Comparison

• I do not own any vintage suits

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 90% or more of my wardrobe is vintage

• I have recently into my first vintage suit but I don't see any difference

• Total voters
Matt and I have been talking and we firmly believe that a man can't possibly understand how a suit should fit unless he owns a suit made before the 70s. Unfortunately, most of the sartorial experts of today have never even worn a vintage suit. Since we have a lot of new members here in the lounge, I thought a poll might be interesting. Offer comments where applicable.

Regards,

Senator Jack

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Vintage suits have ruined me (sort of) because I can't wear anything newer than the 1960's. Modern suits just don't compare when it comes to material,craftsmanship, and style. I could have a much fuller wardrobe if I didn't have spend so much time looking for vintage!

The Wingnut

One Too Many
My first reaction to a properly fitting vintage ensemble was 'It doesn't fit right, it's too tight under the arms."

Most men today don't even know how to put on a jacket properly, one sleeve at a time, the second while holding the opposite placket up near the shoulder so that the armhole in which one wants to insert one's arm is nearly directly behind the hand that's going into it.

Instead, they put a hand in an armhole, swing the other 'round, put in the second hand, and try to awkward shug and flap into it. No wonder the holes have become so large, instead of teaching / learning how to put on the jacket properly, designers and tailors have simply adjusted to compensate for this ignorance.

No that I've got a few well-cut vintage suits and uniforms, I can't stand wearing modern ones. I feel as if the suit is wearing me, it's a big sack just hanging on me.

Jay

Practically Family
I have to agree about vintage being more comfortable. Although it's been said before there's a fair trade-off with vintage clothes:They're slightly uncomfortable to put on and takes some time, but once all buttoned together, you achieve a freedom of movement. I think few people can grasp that by having small armholes you can swing your arms around, and with wide-leg pants you can bend your legs in a number of ways without and binding. The high waist sits a point (on me, anyhow) on my mid section that is narrower than where traditional pants sit, so they never fall down.

How they can take a garment and make it aesthetically pleasing, functional, and so damned comfortable is beyond me. It seems like it took all of history from togas to tricornered hats, powdered wigs, buckled shoes, long coats, tall stiff collars to reach a point in millnery and style to create clothes that were nice to wear, nice to look at and fit good.

Have we not regressed in clothes? It seems as though in trying to be cultured and "proper" a high point was reached in the Edwardian era when people were as dressed up as humanly possible, with men even wearing white gloves and now where are on the downslope and God only knows when its going to remain a steady line for a spell.

Sorry for the long post. Guess I got caught up in myself.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
I don't currently. But I haven't given up hope of finding one in my size. I recently found a 1930s 3 piece, but it was way too small so off to ebay it went. Best I've managed so far is to be a sort of small suit broker. :rolleyes:

CharlieH.

One Too Many
At the present time, I (tragically) don't have a single piece of vintage clothing. I've tried to get something for ages, but my parents always step in and outright forbid it -They're seemingly concerned about the kind of "bugs" may lurk in a 60 year old piece of clothing, and the fact that they ain't machine washable. Still, I'm on the lookout for a nice piece.

By the way - how do you determine a suit size?

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I answered no to a vintage suit. I have one that looks pretty closes to vintage (double-breasted, the right lapels, chalkstripe gray, etc. - Matt Deckard gave me a great deal of help on what to look for) but it's only a year old.

But I did make a steal on "the Bay" a couple weeks ago with a 50's dead-stock sportcoat. Tan with ivory & dark brown flecks. If you've seen Mulholland Falls, the cop's mistress' photographer / confidant wears the blue-gray version to the beach house. (Amazingly - no plot spoilers there!). Photos to come - it's at the cleaners - perhaps making its first appearance at the Seattle drinks-n-dinner Saturday.

And I'm debating a 40's dead-stock brown wool overcoat. $25 on the original tag (has ALL the original tags as well) but they want five times that. Decisions, decisions! As if the cold snap and snow we've had the last week in Seattle hasn't made up my mind already...

Jovan

Suspended
In defense of vintage, it can be pretty cool and the common suit was much better made back in those days than the average one you see around these days. But as far as good craftsmanship and materials go, you CAN find that with bespoke tailors. Sure, it'll run you high, but it'll be worth it even after a few months' wait and a couple of fittings. Most English tailors use a fairly small armhole, as well.

moustache

Practically Family
I have vintage seperates but not a three or two piece suit.I have yet to find one without a bank loan lol lol
I would love a three piece tweed from the 30's but have not found one stateside as yet.

JD

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
CharlieH. said:
At the present time, I (tragically) don't have a single piece of vintage clothing. I've tried to get something for ages, but my parents always step in and outright forbid it -They're seemingly concerned about the kind of "bugs" may lurk in a 60 year old piece of clothing, and the fact that they ain't machine washable.

Charlie, putting a suit in the freezer for a while should kill off anything that could possibly living in a suit.

In defense of modernity, bespoke can be as good as vintage in terms of cut (dependent upon tailor). The fabric is where modern lets itself down. Flimsy stuff, on the whole, though some of the tweeds being woven still are of nice weight. But if you want a heavyweight town fabric, you're probably going to be out of luck (even though Magnoli is offering some slightly heavier weight fabrics). For true heavyweight fabrics, go vintage . . .

bk

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Baron Kurtz said:
In defense of modernity, bespoke can be as good as vintage in terms of cut (dependent upon tailor). The fabric is where modern lets itself down. Flimsy stuff, on the whole, though some of the tweeds being woven still are of nice weight. But if you want a heavyweight town fabric, you're probably going to be out of luck (even though Magnoli is offering some slightly heavier weight fabrics). For true heavyweight fabrics, go vintage . . .

bk

I believe Magnoli's new fabrics are of the 11oz. variety. Hardly heavy...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24