How Many Safari Jackets are Enough

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by Canadian, May 18, 2020.

1. Canadian

Canadian One of the Regulars

Hello all,

I was on WPG and saw a couple things I was going to buy. I did buy two identical cravats/ascots (I don't know what you call them in other countries, here both terms are common). But I saw a white belted safari coat, a tan belted and a OD belted. I'm very tempted to buy the white version. I have a tan jacket from TAG and what I believe to be a Swedish OD jacket. I also have an unbelted tan (with a hidden zipper) and an unbelted OD.

I actually started my menswear journey with an OD waxed cotton safari coat from GAP of all places. That was 19 years ago, I was in my final year of high school, and didn't know anything about mens jackets.

So yeah, how many jackets are necessary? I probably look an awful sight walking around outside with a safari coat, khaki slacks and a dress shirt on. My neighbours expect it, but the guys down the street and down the block probably think I'm a hipster trying to be ironic.

C.

2. Bfd70

Bfd70 Call Me a Cab

To answer the question posed in the title, one, one is enough. Will two make you happier? That is the question most of us on the site struggle with daily.

Tiki Tom likes this.
  3. Tiki Tom

Tiki Tom One Too Many

I own one Safari jacket. But I love it so much. All those pockets! The epaulets and belt! Mostly I love the fabric and the khaki color! When I put it on, I am instantly transported to East Africa a generation ago! I’m Clark Gable, Errol Flynn, and Hemingway all rolled into one. I get the urge to buy a Vintage Land Rover Defender and set out in search of King Solomon’s mine. I only have one safari jacket ...because I know that if I stepped onto that slippery slope by buying a second, it would be all over. Soon I would have closets full of them. Fortunately I am self-aware enough to know I have a problem.

btw, I don’t allow myself to leave the house with more than one piece of khaki clothing on. Maybe when I become old and eccentric. :oops:

Bushman likes this.
  4. Warlord of The Weejuns

Warlord of The Weejuns New in Town

I have 5 safari jackets, including a tan suede and a brown wool jacket with windowpane checks. It never really about need is it?

5. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

Of course not. Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a wardrobe full of Safari Jackets. And a vintage Land Rover Defender.

Bushman likes this.
  6. Tiki Tom

Tiki Tom One Too Many

GHT has always been like a little devil sitting on my shoulder and whispering in my ear.

7. Cornelius

Cornelius A-List Customer

Two. One dark khaki, one olive drab.

8. M Brown

M Brown One of the Regulars

Thurston Howell lll never left home without one!

9. 1961MJS

1961MJS My Mail is Forwarded Here

Hi, well right now you're limited to TAG and WPG unless you get a used one. I have both a tan and a green one from Cabelas that are a decade old. I had a green airtex one from WPG, but it shrunk a little. The airtex ones are really nice in the hotter climates. I don't tend to use the belts much either. You do need a decent safari hat / Indiana Jones Fedora to wear with it. JUST DON'T WEAR IT TO THE ZOO. Trust me on this one.
    Just my $0.02.

10. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

What a flatterer you are, and how you make me chuckle.

11. Cornelius

Cornelius A-List Customer

How's the sleeve length on the WPG aertex bush jackets? I have one of their shirts in that fabric and agree it's great for high heat & humidity, but the sleeves are so short I need to always wear them rolled up.

12. 1961MJS

1961MJS My Mail is Forwarded Here

Hi, there should be a size chart on Jerry Lee's website (WPG). I haven't had mine for at least 9 years.
    Later

Cornelius likes this.