How many years have you been at the same job?

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by bburtner@moran, May 30, 2013.

1. Touchofevil

Touchofevil

22 years by choice in Alternative Education and at the same school. It is a kick in the head and extremely rewarding.
    :D

2. Touchofevil

Touchofevil

I fail to see how they are so close to each other, morals and politics are light years apart.
    :D

3. wdw

wdw One Too Many

24 years, but luckily it's varied enough in content and location (if you want it to be) to stop you going up the wall.

I've not actually done the exact same thing in the same place for more than about 2 years, other than 2.5 years as a dishwasher in Germany nearly 30 years ago.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  4. 22 years with the Illinois department of Corrections. Started as a Correctional Officer in a Maximum Security Prison and now am a Parole Agent. 5 years to retirement!

5. ChrisB

ChrisB A-List Customer

30 Years in a University research lab. One of my colleagues is in his 51st year!

6. martinsantos

martinsantos Practically Family

Started working by myself in july/2003. Probably my best decision, ever.

7. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

Over forty years, or, no time at all. Depends on your perspective. Since 1970, I have run my own distribution company.
    In that time I have had many clients, all of whom, I have supplied the logistics for their distribution needs. Trucks, drivers,
    warehouses, goods handling equipment, such as forklifts and of course a team. From manager to warehouseman, and all in customer livery. Contracts come and contracts go, but technically, I have only had one employer: Myself. However, the customer is king, and every contract that I have had, has been like a new job. It's an unglamourous business, but it sure has provided a good lifestyle.

8. GoetzManor

GoetzManor Familiar Face

I've been working at the same party supply company for seven years (management for five) and I can tell you that it's never been a party.

For someone who is not much of a "people person", retail sure was the wrong field to get in to. However, armed with only a History degree and dealing with the current job market, I don't forsee myself leaving anytime soon, unfortunately.

9. sheeplady

sheeplady I'll Lock Up Bartender

I taught at my last university for 5 years. I'm on medical leave until the spring, when I might return the the classroom, but I am unsure if I will at this point. Need to make my mind up before scheduling starts in a few months.

10. blazerbud

blazerbud One of the Regulars

May you reach at least 52 years there Chris. You are now receiving a blessing and a curse in one.

I'm 15 years at the same place, but during that time, finished college and hope to continue working and growing the business for the next 50 years or so.

11. Chicago Jimmy

Chicago Jimmy Familiar Face

28 years in the Airlines...same company.