Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many years have you been at the same job?

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I hope it's to the bench. You seem like the sort of man I'd want sitting up there. Balanced, fair, pragmatic.
Thank you, Scott. Yes, I've given that idea a fair amount of thought over the years, but have always concluded against it. The problem is that North Carolina still elects her judges. As in most public elections, our judicial campaigns are privately funded. Trial attorneys, having the greatest financial interest in these elections, are typically the heaviest contributors to the campaigns. Sadly, I think this makes it difficult for some of our judges to remain fair and balanced. Unless they are independently wealthy, they must always think about the next election and who among the attorneys before them are their most active financial supporters. Not being independently wealthy, as a judge, I would be subjected to such daily cognitive dissonance. I think it would lead me to grief.

AF

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
My contract gives a retirement date of 1st September, 2039....

Almost 14 years in journalism, three spent on a local paper, two freelancing and heading towards nine on a national Scottish title. Theoretically, I've got the same retirement date, but I know of few journos who actually stop writing fully.

Last edited:

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
I have been in the same line of business since 1977, so 36 years.

Nine years at my first company, 3 years in the next organisation then over 21 years in the following firm until they made me redundant, thus followed a horrendous period of 18 months unemployment until I started my existing role a few months ago back in the same business.

(Whilst I was looking for a new job last year, I worked for about 3 months in a department store where some people had been employed for over 40 years.)

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm still trying to get over the retirement date Edward posted of 2039! :eeek:
They'll be flying cars by then. ;)

Hi Gregg

According to the 1968 (roughly) World Book Encyclopedia, we were flying cars (that you didn't need to steer) on Magnetic Levitation roads in 1980 while wearing thin ties and smoking cigarettes.

Later

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Hi Gregg

According to the 1968 (roughly) World Book Encyclopedia, we were flying cars (that you didn't need to steer) on Magnetic Levitation roads in 1980 while wearing thin ties and smoking cigarettes.

Later

Wouldn't surprise me. I read a book as a kid, that said we've have automatic interstates, where you just pull onto it and the interstate (similar to an automated walkway) would propel your car. This was around the same time someone thought we'd have nuclear cars. :eeek:

I'm with Tom...this September I'll have 18yrs left to go to collect the maximum amount of my retirement percentage. I'll have 43yrs total service by then. Wait, is there a rule that says you have to keep your patience the whole time? I haven't seen it. :D

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Thank you, Scott. Yes, I've given that idea a fair amount of thought over the years, but have always concluded against it. The problem is that North Carolina still elects her judges. As in most public elections, our judicial campaigns are privately funded. Trial attorneys, having the greatest financial interest in these elections, are typically the heaviest contributors to the campaigns. Sadly, I think this makes it difficult for some of our judges to remain fair and balanced. Unless they are independently wealthy, they must always think about the next election and who among the attorneys before them are their most active financial supporters. Not being independently wealthy, as a judge, I would be subjected to such daily cognitive dissonance. I think it would lead me to grief.

AF

You confirmed my assessment of your character nicely. :)
That's a nationwide problem, I think: The process is off-putting to the best qualified. So elective positions often are filled by those who are willing to play by the sordid game rules, rather than those who we would like to have govern.

And that's so close to politics, I may have to ban m'self.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
I can't match any of these tales as I spend most of my time trying to avoid work.

Have had a variety of jobs including work in a fruitcake foundry, no kidding. Weston Bakeries in Cobourg Ontario makes over half the fruitcake sold in North America, 132 different brands. They have a small, spotlessly clean plant full of cast iron streamlined machinery from the forties. It was a fun place to work.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I can't match any of these tales as I spend most of my time trying to avoid work.

Have had a variety of jobs including work in a fruitcake foundry, no kidding. Weston Bakeries in Cobourg Ontario makes over half the fruitcake sold in North America, 132 different brands. They have a small, spotlessly clean plant full of cast iron streamlined machinery from the forties. It was a fun place to work.

I happen to love a good fruitcake and coffee...(where's mine)?

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
I happen to love a good fruitcake and coffee...(where's mine)?

It's a seasonal product made for the Christmas trade. Ours was sold by many different retailers, my favorite is the Southern style or Dixie style with pecans. Production starts around Labor Day and runs to the end of November. If the fine print says made by Weston Bakeries or Made in Canada it's one of ours.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Another taste treat for the holidays, is the dark fruitcake with a wedge of sharp Cheddar cheese and a glass of Scotch. Strong flavors that go together surprisingly well, and traditional to northern England.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Will be six years in September. I stayed because of necessity - good benefits, my husband going to college full-time, etc., but I really, really hate my job. It is a soul-sucking, office drone position and I can barely drag my behind in to work every day. Thankfully, hubby is done with college in two weeks and already has an awesome job with terrific benefits lined up. Huge relief since I can now start looking for something else and because my company's benefits package went into the toilet this year. I already have an interview for a position that is actually in my field - history - so we'll see what happens.

Really, though, I'd like to just work part-time somewhere and work the rest of the time at home on my freelance writing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21