Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How Much Makeup?

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I sometimes put brightener on the inside corners of my eyes because I have bluish skin there.

When I wear eye makeup, it almost always gets on the lower lid and makes me look old and tired. Any tips for keeping it on the upper lid?

The Shirt

Practically Family
Paisley - A trick that I use sometimes is to dust some loose face powder under my eye before putting on eye make-up. Then after the shadow has made its way down under my eye, I go back with a clean brush and dust the loose powder back off.

Inky

One Too Many
Paisley said:
I sometimes put brightener on the inside corners of my eyes because I have bluish skin there.

When I wear eye makeup, it almost always gets on the lower lid and makes me look old and tired. Any tips for keeping it on the upper lid?

Paisley, TheShirt's tip works very well, especially for dark colors that can sprinkle down below the eye during application. Tapping your shadow brush before application helps get the excess off as well.

The best tip I have is to use an eyeshadow primer - I use the Urban Decay one that I mentioned before and that stuff helps your shadow stick to your lid without creasing and works for me even after a night of dancing. Available here and at Sephora. I should get kickbacks for my hoopla over this product, but I don't, lol, I'm just a satisfied consumer!

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I think I'll try the primer. My eye makeup tends to sift down to the lower lid over the course of the day. One more reason for me not to wear too much. Thanks for the tips!

pdxvintagette

A-List Customer
If make-up is working to make you look older, you aren't wearing the right make-up. Take Dita. (Of course, she's an exceptional beauty...) she wears foundation on ALL exposed parts of her skin, and no one would say it ages her!

Daytimes out and about with no real plans, I wear a little bit of concealer, powder, pencil eyeliner, blush and lipstick - usually red, unless my outfit demands a different color.

Evenings I wear Max Factor PanStick foundation (well blended!) concealer, powder to set, blush, penciled brows, gel/liquid eyeliner, possibly a little shadow, lip pencil (Mac Cherry) and lipstick (usually Mac Russian Red.)

Since I switched to the Pan Stick makeup, I get so many compliments telling me that I'm looking "lovely these days" or some such thing. No one seems to be able to place it, but it does seem to work right for me!

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Paisley said:

If what you mean is that it sprinkles down while you are applying eyeshadow, then what I do is I hold a small piece of tissue under my eye while applying eyeshadow to my lid. I think it works better than the powder, although of course it occupies your other hand, but I usually apply shadow with just one hand while holding the tissue with the other.

If what you mean is that it melts during the day, then, well, you need a good dry base when applying makeup, lots of powder under, that way my makeup usually stays put, but of course when you are wearing makeup you always need to be touching up and making sure you look alright and that everything is still in place.

Personally, I find that I look better the more makeup I wear. :) As long as it's the right type of makeup, the right colors and so forth, it shouldn't make you look older, it should just enhance all your beautiful features.

If I had time, I'd apply loads of makeup every morning, but usually for every day I just apply mineral powder, fill in my eyebrows and apply blush and mascara and then just spray some rosewater on top of it all. Sometimes I'll also wear eyeliner and/or eyeshadow and/or lipstick during the day, especially a bit of shimmer on the inner corner of my eye and on the cheekbones (actually this is one of my favorite things, shimmer, the best one for me is Mac's shroom eyeshadow).

For evening I usually do the whole shebang, and sometimes add some glitter or glue small gems or false beautymarks to my face. However, I never got the hang of false eyelashes, I just can't get them on properly, I end up getting them tangled up with my own lashes and it all becomes a sticky mess.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Am going to say this...and honestly mean no offense...but as a generality, the -younger- look better in more makeup.

We gently aged (like fine wine) specimens, have creases and wrinkles that makeup pool in and look not as nice. If we put too much for an area, it makes us look -older-...not younger and better.....

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Miss Neecerie said:
Am going to say this...and honestly mean no offense...but as a generality, the -younger- look better in more makeup.

We gently aged (like fine wine) specimens, have creases and wrinkles that makeup pool in and look not as nice. If we put too much for an area, it makes us look -older-...not younger and better.....

Hehe, yeah, I'm sure time will learn me to go easy on the makeup, or maybe not, and I'll look like Dame Edna forever. lol

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
Sunny said:
Does anyone else just die without eyeliner?

I don't wear eyeliner on a regular basis, but that's mainly because I haven't found the right, non-smudging, waterproof liner yet. It's only recently that I've seriously tried eyeliner, and it works *wonders* for my tiny little eyes! It *may* become one of those I'll-die-if-I-can't-wear-it items, if I find the right one.

pdxvintagette

A-List Customer
Try Mac's gel eyeliner (comes in a pot, and has to be applied with an angled brush) - the color I use is Blacktrack. This stuff doesn't go ANYWHERE, so be sure you give yourself time to experiment before you actually use it prior to going out! Also, having q-tips and eye make-up remover handy are great when you're practicing with it. Took me quite a while to adjust, but I could go to sleep in the stuff and look ALMOST as crisp as the night before.

ShoreRoadLady said:
I don't wear eyeliner on a regular basis, but that's mainly because I haven't found the right, non-smudging, waterproof liner yet. It's only recently that I've seriously tried eyeliner, and it works *wonders* for my tiny little eyes! It *may* become one of those I'll-die-if-I-can't-wear-it items, if I find the right one.

RebeccaMUA

One of the Regulars
Paisley said:

Hmm...well this may sound odd to some people but if this happens while you are applying your eye makeup, simply apply your eye makeup first and whatever falls you can clean up with moisturizer or makeup remover and then you can apply your foundation and so on with no worry of "spillage".

For throughout the day, a shadow primer is a great idea. So is using waterproof mascara.

You can also "seal" all your makeup with a sealant such as Benefit's "She-laq", Model - in - a - bottle, etc. Many companies make a makeup sealant. It's one product I absolutely need in my kit.

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
These are some great tips ladies!! :)

Translucent Powder, Concealer, Liptick, mascara and Blush..
It takes me 5 min to apply it all on and I actually dont like the way I look with foundation on anymore.

When I was younger I wore alot of makeup.. and now when I do a full face.. I feel caked on.. I actually(from pictures) look older and its scary.. so I just stick to natural cause it looks best on me.

If Im feelin frisky I will add eye liner and mabey some eye shadow.. cause sometimes that can just be too much work for me.. I think im just lazy sometimes.. lol.. but I think I look better without all the makeup on.. so does the family.. LOL go figure.

:D lol

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
pdxvintagette said:
Try Mac's gel eyeliner (comes in a pot, and has to be applied with an angled brush) - the color I use is Blacktrack. This stuff doesn't go ANYWHERE, so be sure you give yourself time to experiment before you actually use it prior to going out! Also, having q-tips and eye make-up remover handy are great when you're practicing with it. Took me quite a while to adjust, but I could go to sleep in the stuff and look ALMOST as crisp as the night before.

Really? I'll have to look into it - thanks! Most eyeliners end up smudging or sliding off my lid.

Audrey Horne

Practically Family
I guess I actually wear a lot but I'm so pale that think I look washed out without it. Daily I wear: tinted moisturizer, under eye concealer, blush, neutral eye shadow, eye shadow to fill in brows, and mascara. I also usually wear lipstick and eyeliner. It takes me about 5 minutes to do everything.
No makeup:
2556241036_1259ce2980_m.jpg

Every day makeup:
2097689635_a87c883db1_m.jpg

Going out makeup is just thicker eyeliner and darker lipstick.

StaceFace

One of the Regulars
Audrey Horne, you are very pretty! :)

Much like you, my everyday makeup is very light, if anything at all. It all really depends on what I'm doing that day. If I have to be up at 4:30 in the morning for work, then I usually don't give a hoot what I look like and I keep my glasses on as well. Otherwise, I use the L'Oreal Bare Minerals powder foundation and finishing veil...maybe brow liner and some mascara. If I am dressing vintage, I tend to wear a light application of liquid foundation, brow liner and gel, mascara, a little blush (since I'm so pasty!), and lipstick if I think it suits me that day; I tend to reserve the true reds for going out. I guess it all really depends. I still have to experiment with false lashes!

ClaraB

One of the Regulars
What an interesting thread!

I used to wear lots of make up on a daily basis but when I went back to my natural hair color, red, I found that heavy make up just looked harsh on me.

On a daily basis the amount of make up I wear depends on how much time I have to apply it. If I am running late I may just use a bit of powder and concealer, a quick application of mascara and some red lipstick- the bare minimum for me.
When I have more time I usually shape and fill in my brows, apply black eye shadow with an angled brush along my lash line and carefully apply my mascara. I find that my whole look depends on how my eyes look. I also use blush and some highlighting powder on the top of my cheekbones after I apply my foundation. I always wear lipstick.
For evening makeup I guess I try to play up my eyes more, sometimes using liquid eyeliner or false lashes and I generally make my eyebrows darker and more defined than I do for day. I usually use eyeshadow, a nice creamy peach, and work to get my skin to look as flawless as possible (quite a project as I am rarely blemish free). I also tend to exaggerate my upper lip in an attempt to achieve some semblance of a 1940's look, I usually use the same color lippy for night as I do for day. And thats it!

I think I spend a third of the time that I used to on make up, but I suppose I now use that time wrestling with this unruly hair of mine.lol

Marzipan

One of the Regulars
I usually wear a powder foundation, under-eye concealer, and red lipstick, with my brows brushed up. I'm not a fan of eye-makeup on me unless it's some white shadow to contrast with my lips and hair. Oh, and blush makes me look like Baby Jane.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy