Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How Much Makeup?

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
I like to wear the whole shabang---concealor, foundation, powder, blush, eyeshadow, liner (lips/eyes/brows), dark lipstick and mascara base and mascara. (A base keeps the mascara from smudging---Shiseido makes the best one, but I think Maybelline makes a decent one too).
If I skip anything, it's the eyeliner. I use my concealor on my eyelids as a base for the shadow as well.
I used to think this was alot until I watched some of the tutorials on youtube--I had no idea people put this much on for everyday---I only did all the contours and shadows when I was in theatre.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWsBj_kLyQo

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
OK here goes, Waterproof foundation, concealer when needed, pressed or loose powder depending on my mood, eye brow pencil, three eyeshadow shades, liquid and pencil eye liner, two different liquid colours for night, single false lashes for day, full sets for night, mascara, multi colour powder to even out skin tone, blush, lip liner, two shades of always red lipstick. Application time, up to an hour for day and evening , you don't want to know lol

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Pink powder blush dusted on my lids
Brown eyeliner, heavier on the top lids
Black mascara
Black, painted-on eyebrows
Just a dab of concealer under the eyes to cover the purple
Red lipstick

I can't stand the feel of foundation or anything else all over my face. Just the eyes and lips. I'm a redhead so I look washed out and ill when I wear no makeup. One day I decided to go "bare" to work and people kept asking me if I was ok!! lol

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
These days, I don't wear any unless I am feeling in the mood, my new job requires no dressing! But if i am dressing up vintage...

For special occasions, first I put on foundation, but otherwise all the rest of it without any foundation...in this order:

Under eye concealer
Paint out all spots and scars and stuff with more concealer and a tiny brush
Eyeshadow, usually two or three colors, what colors depends entirely on the outfit
Black eye pencil on the outer and inner corners of the upper lid (never across the lashes, it makes me look awful), and all across the bottom lid, in a straight line to extend the length of the eye as they are too round
Fill in thin parts of eyebrows with pencil and extend the outer line about a half inch
Enhance the two beauty marks with eyebrow pencil (the only spots I want seem to be fading out!)
Powder (mineral powder or my special pulverized freshwater pearls for fancy)
Brush excess poder out of eyebrows
Mascara, let it dry, curl eyelashes, another coat of mascara
Blush only if I am really looking bad, otherwise I prefer to be pale
Lip liner, lipstick
Perfume!

Tatum

Practically Family
Having really uneven skin, I usually have at least tinted moisturizer and powder on, with mascara (my eyelashes are very blonde) if I'm going to leave the house. If I actually take my time, which is often, all that plus foundation and kohl eyeliner. That is my usual "running errands, having lunch with the inlaws" routine. If I'm going full-out, add eyeshadow and lipstick.

For the product-curious: I use Boots #7 tinted SPF moisturizer and foundation, Rimmel powder (I love how closely the color matches me), L'Oreal Great Lash mascara, whatever brand kohl eyeliner I happen to have (I'm a klutz with liquid), MAC Paint Pot eyeshadow primer, usually MAC shadows, and Rimmel lipliner and colored gloss (usually nude liner with red gloss).

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I usually wear:

- moisturizer w/ SPF
- blush
- face powder
- mascara
- red lipstick

If I'm feeling like changing it up I'll sometimes wear matte brown eyeliner with the little wings (black looks too harsh on me). I occasionally wear it with eyeshadow. But then I usually won't wear the lipstick. I usually only do both eyes and lips if I'm going out at night.

Blondie

Practically Family
I LOVE LOVE LOVE makeup,
i change it round all the time,
i always wear it, except to bed,
I am a cosmetic whore, never loyal to any brand,
i switch, swap, mix, blend,somedays full makeup, others a light application,
I am in my 40's and i don't care if it ages me,
i use everything from dermablend concealer to shu uemura eyelash curler,
the only thing that never changes is my red lips,
Makeup junkie & proud of it

Spaugs

New in Town
I made the mistake of going to Sephora when I started wearing make-up. I did what I could to recreate the look they gave me, but it resulted in massive amounts of foundation and pathetic attempts at applying eyeshadow.

Now I use Physician's Formula foundation (only enough to even out my pale skin tone) just about every day. I wear a little eyeshadow, eyeliner depending on what look I'm going for that day, and a lovely red-wine lipstick or just plain old chapstick (again depending on the look I'm going for that day). I personally have found that lots of make-up is a waste of money. It just doesn't look that good on me, I prefer a lighter look and feel, but that's just me [huh]

jayem

A-List Customer
When I wake up at 5AM for work (trust me, it kills!) I generally apply a light foundation, some mascara and viola.

When I go out, it's the whole works. Heavy eye makeup, red lippy and a great foundation.

Oh, and to be honest, the women at Ulta... maybe just around here.... have WAY too much makeup on to the point where it looks tacky. I've also noticed, if I go in there bare-faced, I'm less likely to be approached to be helped with anything as opposed to going in all dolled up.

Tigerlily

One of the Regulars
I don't wear a lot, just enough to make me look awake. I apply mine around 8 in the morning everyday. First, I put on my powder. I don't use moisturizer because it tends to make my face feel greasy, especially my nose :( so I just dab on my powder and then go straight to my eyes. I curl my eyelashes and apply mascara, then I draw a little 50s wing with a black liner at the corner of each eye because it makes my eyes look longer and not so round. I add some red tint to my lips and put some chapstick over it and I'm finished. Occasionally I'll apply some blush but that's when I have time. I really don't like wearing a lot of make-up because of the weather; it's always hot and too much make-up makes me feel sticky!

Spiffy

A-List Customer
Blondie said:
I LOVE LOVE LOVE makeup,
i change it round all the time,
i always wear it, except to bed,
I am a cosmetic whore, never loyal to any brand,
i switch, swap, mix, blend,somedays full makeup, others a light application,
I am in my 40's and i don't care if it ages me,
i use everything from dermablend concealer to shu uemura eyelash curler,
the only thing that never changes is my red lips,
Makeup junkie & proud of it

a wonderful, beautiful poem...

I usually do mineral foundation/eyeliner at the absolute minimum. When I'm working on set, however, lugging enormous cables, out and about at the crack of dawn, in raggedy jeans and Doc Martins, it's red lipstick all the way! Gotta remind the boys (and myself) that I'm still a chick!

Miss_Bella_Hell

I was reading a trashy magazine today at the gym (actually, it was Elle, but I find any women's magazine trashy because it makes us want to stop eating and spend $5,000 on a bag, but I digress) and there was some famous makeup artist with this great tip about the order of makeup application:

Apply foundation, then apply mascara next. You're more likely to tone down the rest because you realize how "finished" mascara makes you look even without anything else!

just_me

Practically Family
Have always hated wearing makeup, so I don't usually wear any. If I get really dressed up (which is not often), I go with foundation, shadow, liner, mascara, lipstick, and blush.

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
I look better with a BUNCH of make up. However I can't STAND to have my whole face covered, If I'm having a TERRIBLE skin week I may put foundation on, but It drives me crazy, and I simply can NOT wear powder on my whole face. I wear black Liner, relatively heavy on my top lid, and lightly on the bottom, just enough so you can make out my lash line. I like to use eyeshadow as liner as well, it looks softer. Then I use 2-3 shades of shadow on my lid. If I'm dressing up I'll put some on the bottom as well, gives my eyes more "pop". I'm a chapstick/lipgloss overdoser. I use it like crazy. (cherry chapstick always.) If I'm really going all out i"ll put on some lipstick, usually a light pink or maroon, if I'm feeling daring it's red. It all takes me about 10 min tops, and, unless I'm dressing up, people rarely notice it...although heaven forbid I just don't wear it. Everyone asks me if I'm sick.:rolleyes:

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
I am pretty minimal with the makeup. Since LA is so casual, and I dress casual/modern on an everyday basis, I tend to be pretty basic, I tend to just wear foundation, lip gross, and a little bit of bronzer or blush, I don't wear powder since I am pretty dry skin. If I am going out, especially to a vintage event I might wear eye shadow and red/colored lipstick.

I really put a lot more effort into skin care, ie moisturizer, toner, serum, etc.

Miss_Bella_Hell

You girls who hate foundation should look into lighter foundation options, or even a tinted moisturizer.

After much research into cheap and light, but effective, foundations, I came across Cover Girl CG Smoothers - I apply it with a foundation brush and can't feel it on at all. A steal at around $7.

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
I was reading a trashy magazine today at the gym (actually, it was Elle, but I find any women's magazine trashy because it makes us want to stop eating and spend $5,000 on a bag, but I digress) and there was some famous makeup artist with this great tip about the order of makeup application:

Apply foundation, then apply mascara next. You're more likely to tone down the rest because you realize how "finished" mascara makes you look even without anything else!

Maybe they think if you stop eating, then you can afford the $5,000 bag?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy