Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How Much Makeup?

Sunny

One Too Many
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
You girls who hate foundation should look into lighter foundation options, or even a tinted moisturizer.

After much research into cheap and light, but effective, foundations, I came across Cover Girl CG Smoothers - I apply it with a foundation brush and can't feel it on at all. A steal at around $7.
Oh, I've used that. It's great stuff.

Miss Hattie

Familiar Face
Probably wear waaaaay too much!

I always wear make up if I’m out and about, but never bother if I’m staying in of feeling icky. I’m waaaaaay too pale to wear none and look ill if I don’t, but as a result of being so pale skinned I find it hard to find foundation pale enough in my price range.
I start with a light moisturiser then concealer( boy do I need this- I have the horrid teenage skin:( ). Finished with a light dusting of powder.
Eyes: in the Daytime I wear a light beige shadow (some times with a brown eyeliner and only on the top lid though.) A little mascara and I always use blusher in the crease too.
On my cheeks I some times use a pink/red rouge sparingly, but favour the block in a rich pink (using it high on the cheek bones)
And finely to the lipstick, I always use a liner to create a fuller top lip (bow shape) as I have a fine top lip- then apply a rich deep, red or dark, dark pinkie red! I always wear it. It’s not an option not to wear it! Plus my ma doesn’t like to see me with out my lips painted! Weird or what! ;)

I'm glad to say everything looks natural, except the colour of my lips!:p

Lareesie Ladavi

One of the Regulars
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
You girls who hate foundation should look into lighter foundation options, or even a tinted moisturizer.

After much research into cheap and light, but effective, foundations, I came across Cover Girl CG Smoothers - I apply it with a foundation brush and can't feel it on at all. A steal at around $7.

Funny you mention that...I've just resorted back to my youth, with Smoothers. My skin has gotten sooo oily, that I just buy cheap oil-free, at the moment. I'm just sick and tired of fighting the oil...I just don't get it.
I ususlly only buy drug store brands anyway. I've used expensive and honetly, they aren't any better.
I have found it very hard to find makeup that matches my skin tone...I am the palest person I know, and there just aren't very many lines that cater to pale women and if it is, it's soo cakey that it will sit in fine lines, that I didn't know existed! :eek:
I think these people that create foundation are color blind. They don't seem to know what color Ivory and "light" look like. It isn't orange QT tanning lotion...and since when did the term "light" mean sun tan?
Anywhooo.... I am Miss Piggey with my makeup, but I only like sheer foundation. I'm too old for the thick stuff.

ladygaga

New in Town
Miss Hattie said:
I always wear make up if I’m out and about, but never bother if I’m staying in of feeling icky. I’m waaaaaay too pale to wear none and look ill if I don’t, but as a result of being so pale skinned I find it hard to find foundation pale enough in my price range.
I start with a light moisturiser then concealer( boy do I need this- I have the horrid teenage skin:( ). Finished with a light dusting of powder.
Eyes: in the Daytime I wear a light beige shadow (some times with a brown eyeliner and only on the top lid though.) A little mascara and I always use blusher in the crease too.
On my cheeks I some times use a pink/red rouge sparingly, but favour the block in a rich pink (using it high on the cheek bones)
And finely to the lipstick, I always use a liner to create a fuller top lip (bow shape) as I have a fine top lip- then apply a rich deep, red or dark, dark pinkie red! I always wear it. It’s not an option not to wear it! Plus my ma doesn’t like to see me with out my lips painted! Weird or what! ;)

I'm glad to say everything looks natural, except the colour of my lips!:p
Maybe this is a potentially british problem due to our weather? lol i'm exactly the same. No foundation or face makeup leaves me looking pallid (good for sick days however, I just have to wear no makeup and get endless comments of 'are you ok?')
It's quite pricey but try this foundation, it may be worth it even if it's just used to mix into a cheaper alternative and thus making it last longer.
I wear L'Oreal True Match foundation in their lightest shade mixed with some Calvin Klein cream eye shadow in 'cloud' (it adds a nice shimmer and lightens the foundation.) I then use what I like to refer to as 'industrial concealer' called DermaBlend in VERY small amounts (it's actually meant for covering tattoos and birthmarks so it's best used in tiny amounts also in their lightest possible shade as it looks darker when dry - one £25 tube lasts me about a year.)
Rimmel eyebrow pencil, curl my eyelashes, Estee Lauder eyelash primer, No 7 curve and lift mascara, Natural Collection blush and Ruby & Millie i-Define mixed with some Mac Fluidline. I don't tend to look as if i'm wearing a load of makeup, I just look like I have a particularly decent complexion. No-one has ever noticed the quantity!

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I wear, usually, lipstick, blush or bronzer, a couple eye-shadows, translucent powder, often but not always mascara, and concealer as needed for individual spots.

I wear sheer lipsticks sometimes but almost never just gloss due to the paleness of my natural lip-color, it needs at least a deeper "nude."

I'm very pale and very pink and I need some makeup or I'm just an amorphous blob.

Oh, and I need my eyebrows done, but that's a matter of straitjacketing what I've got, not having to pencil more eyebrow in! lol

Lillemor

One Too Many
I wear L'oreal's True Match Foundation as well. I find it's the one that suits me the best. I think the C7 I use is one of the darkest shades it's sold in here in Denmark. It's not a perfect match, just the best match I've found on the market.

They don't sell all the L'oreal shades on the Danish market.:( They don't sell a L'oreal Mineral Foundation that suits me and I'm not really happy with the MF Mineral Foundation I bought in '75 Golden'. It's great for controlling shine but it leaves me looking "dusty". I don't know if it's actually a bit too light or just some how "off".

Matte formulas in eyeshadows and lipsticks are a no-no with me. It may be more vintage correct but I think matte make-up looks best on fairer complexions and I can't naturally or safely change my complexion much. I've just accepted that shiny or even shimmery shadows and lipsticks look best on me.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I don't entirely trust matte lipstick either. I can wear a pink/rose/mauve sort of colour in matte and that's a nice soft look, but as my lips are not naturally very full, they disappear to angry little nothings with reds/burgandies/darks that don't have at least a touch of shine.

I can't wear true nudes, as that just leaves me with a pink face and beige lips, not very sexy. I wear pinks AS nudes, which is truer to my tomato-esque complexion and works much better. :eek:

Tinseltown

A-List Customer
I can go to the grocery store, or even to class without make up, but going makeupless makes me feel tired. I do take makeupfree days to give my skin a rest though.

In my family all of the women just look better with a bit of color on the lips...myself included. ;)

I don't slather on huge amounts of makeup, but when I have time to do my face properly, I use foundation on the eyearea around my nose (a bit of redness there) and on blemishes, should I have any.
Then mascara and a soft rose/pink blush. And of course the LIPSTICK! :p
If I have time, some liquid eyeliner too, but I rarely have patience for it.

I just recieved a great light-reflecting powder for christmas, that should be somewhat pallor-inducing, so I will have to add that to my list...lol

I apply all of these things with a light hand, of course. Although I must say I am addicted to lipstick (and rouge :eek:)

Lillemor

One Too Many
Since 2nd Christmas day (that's what the 26th of Dec. is called here) and until NYE. I've resolved not to wear any make-up. My skin seriously needs a rest and just cleansing, exfoliating and plenty of oil free moisturizer! I only use products that guard against the elements but no make-up. I feel naked. Sort of embarrassed the same way I assume women who aren't used to wearing make-up may feel when they wear make-up on a rare occasion. At the 2nd day lunch I kept hiding my nude lips behind my hand the way a woman who isn't used to wearing red lipstick might if she wears red lipstick.

Lily Powers

Practically Family
On weekends, I'm pretty much just a clean face, moisturizer, sunblock and lipstick. Otherwise, I'm really liking the Jane Iredale pressed powder for my face. Gives my skin (medium skin tone and freckles that I hated as a child, but really love now) a slight luminous glow. Tinted moisturizers are great, but they tended to disappear on my face after a short while.

Eva Morsikova

Familiar Face
When I'm not really going anywhere special I just put on some moisturizer, powder, mascara and if the mood strikes me; lip rouge.
Out on the town/visiting friends/formal. I use the neutrogena foundation that has salycitic(sp?) acid to help with my acne (it actually works quite well for me) rouge for my cheeks and lips, mascara, eyeshadow...the works basically.

Lenah

New in Town
I love love love makeup. And creams and lotions, and perfumes and pretty bottles.

I usually wear a lot of layers, but very light ones of each. I have that dry/oily/sensitive combo, which is a nightmare if I wear my makeup very heavy. So i do the full regimen, but with minimal product...

moisturize, conceal (no under-eye concealer, it can actually dry the skin under your eyes out), liquid make-up, light brush of powder to set, use eye shadow for undereye concealer, do my eyebrows, sometimes put on eye shadow, sometimes just liquid eyeliner, light layer of blush, lips. Sometimes full color, most times just a gloss. I've been wearing nude lips for so many years, it took me awhile to get used to red lipstick again. It was a throwback to when I was younger, so I couldn't decide...did it make me look younger or older? The only thing I do heavy is my mascara and lips... if my blush or so wears off, which it usually does, because I really don't use much, I use one of those clean&clear oil absorbing sheets to even everything out, and then re-apply.

Some days I wear nothing. But those are rare.

VintageRed

Familiar Face
Foundation problems...

Ok ladies, here's my problem, perhaps you all can help.

I have combination skin. Oily in the lower half of the T-Zone (nose, chin, a little on the forehead and a bit under the eyes) but fairly dry across cheeks and temples.

I've tried so many foundations, it's not even funny. No matter the application tool, it either wipes off the dry spots, clings in the wrong place, looks glumpy and gross...it's awful. I can't find a foundation that provides smooth and even coverage without looking like it sits in a dot on each and every pore and then skips entire sections of my face.

As it is now, I usually just use a cover up stick under my eyes and around my nose and on my chin and then powder it all down. But after a while, it looks cakey around my eyes and I don't like that either.

Any hints, tips, superior products I can try?

I'm at a loss. :(

Thank you!

Lau Mo

Familiar Face
I have acne prone skin, so I try to go light on the makeup, because I tend to get into a cycle of getting acne, trying to cover it up, and then making it worse, and having to cover it up even more.

Normally, I wear some light SPF 15 moisturizer with bare minerals foundation powder, a tiny bit of bare minerals "glee" as blush, and then some mascara and lipgloss.

During the summer, I add in some bronzer, because my body tans faster than my face (because of the sunscreen in my moisturizer).

The one type of makeup I can't stand for myself (though I like it alot on otheres) and rarely do is eyeliner on the bottom of my eyes...on me, it just makes my eyes look tired.

Eva Morsikova

Familiar Face
Lau Mo said:
The one type of makeup I can't stand for myself (though I like it alot on otheres) and rarely do is eyeliner on the bottom of my eyes...on me, it just makes my eyes look tired.

The only way I can semi-pull that off is if I smudge it slightly if I want to go for a 20s look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy