Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How not to look like a waitress ;)

Naama

Practically Family
So, I have a new job, my first job ever actually (yes, I'm a little spoiled brat.... :rolleyes: ). But, I have to wear white tops/blouses and black skirts or pants. But I don't really know, most people there look like waiters or waitresses..... With pretty male blouses for the girls (the guys as well, for sure... ^^). Do you think it's ok to wear pretty femminine stuff? With puffy sleeves and such things? The only rule about clothing is the white/black thing, I can even leave my piercings in, so they can't be that strict I guess... Maybe you have even some ideas what to wear? or what kind of stuff to wear? I really don't like those blouses with the male collars, makes me just look old and boring :( Do you even think heres a way to stick with a 30's touch?
(I have to take care for the visitors at a museum, thats the job)

Naama

crwritt

One Too Many
I think you will be able to find some very pretty white blouses to wear for this job. Look for pintucks, lacy collars, shawl collars,white on white embroidery, cute sleeve details, etc. I don't think you will be stuck with just the oxford shirts.

The black skirts, too, could be any shape or style, from circle to pencil. Depending on how many days a week you will be working, plan on at least three outfits.

I think you can keep to a 30's look by choosing a below the knee bias cut skirt, and a blouse with a feminine shawl collar and a little lace or white embroidery.

You will need comfy shoes, but is there any rule about shoe color or style?
this may be where you could show some personality.

epr25

Practically Family
You can't go wrong with black and white. What better of a place to wear some vintage gear then a muesum right? Saddle shoes would be a cute shoe to go with, comfortable too. I think even wearing the same colors as everyone else you most deffinatley could stand out.

dashiell

One of the Regulars
I can't say I know where to get such things, but the sort of clothes I would choose would be something like:

http://www.revampvintage.com/index1.html

When you click on the 1930s, the options I'd want to use (if I could possibly afford such things) would be Ginger, Desiree, and Beatrice in the required colors.

I read the FAQ and I don't think I'm out of line in posting that link, but do forgive me if I am.

[huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot