Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How NOT to look like Indiana Jones?!

What's wrong with looking like Indiana Jones?

Not a thing, if that's the image a person wishes to project.

I wouldn't choose to affect such a look myself, and I doubt that few fully grown others would choose to either, leastwise not on any date other than October 31.

As I said earlier, I have no recollection of ever being likened to Indiana Jones, the occasional brown leather jacket worn with a brown fedora notwithstanding. If it were to happen, it might mildly irritate me, I suppose, depending on who was making the commentary, and in what spirit. Like, for instance, if some hot little number half my age were to tell me that she thought I looked like Indiana Jones and that she has long wished to drag Indiana Jones back to her apartment to look at her etchings, well, where the hell did I put my bullwhip?

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Well, the good Dr Jones has been known to wear a grey fedora from time to time...

109.jpg
I like that fedora.

EliasRDA

One of the Regulars
Not an Indy Jones reference but this one has me stumped. I do not remember Jurassic Park the movie all that well so was there a dude with an aussie accent in it that wore a fedora?
Dude today at the Sarku Japanese food asked me to say Covergirl with an aussie accent, I was wearing the caribou Stetson with a dk green button down & khaki pants. I didn't think I looked like Jeff Goldblum :(

Glenville86

Familiar Face
I like the jackets as they are similar to flight jackets without the knit/wool. I have a flight jacket and a couple Indy style jackets. Any fedora you wear with these type jackets will be Indyish. Actually, many folks will consider any fedora or Aussie style hat with a leather jacket/coat as an Indy look.

If it was the normal style of dress for men to wear a fedora and other non-ball cap hats, I would think any leather jacket with a fedora would be the norm regardless of what movie people were wearing. Currently, just about any leather jacket is not going to draw attention as they are popular. The fedora currently is not mainstream and will stick out. You can wear an Indy jacket from the movies and very few people will even connect it to the movies. Toss on the fedora.......

Wear what you like. Don't change your personal tastes to run with the herd.

DesertDan

One Too Many
+1 The grey 'travel fedora' is my favorite IJ hat.

The fedora style hat in Jurrasic Park is worn by Alan Grant, played by actor Sam Neil. HE wore a straw in JP1 and a felt in JP3.

I have gotten the 'Indy' comment only a few times in all my years of wearing a hat. My response is always the same, I smile at the person and say "That's Doctor Jones to you". :D

Strapped-4-Cache

One Too Many
Not an Indy Jones reference but this one has me stumped. I do not remember Jurassic Park the movie all that well so was there a dude with an aussie accent in it that wore a fedora?
Dude today at the Sarku Japanese food asked me to say Covergirl with an aussie accent, I was wearing the caribou Stetson with a dk green button down & khaki pants. I didn't think I looked like Jeff Goldblum :(

I think you were being compared to Bob Peck, who played the Australian character Robert Muldoon in the movie. The line that was referenced actually has him saying, "Clever girl..." right after being outsmarted by a raptor. He wears a hat with the left side of the brim snapped up against the crown. Do an image search with the keywords "Robert Muldoon Jurassic Park" for examples.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Indy Fedora

Adventurebilt hats Steve Delk and I love that hat.

I never understood the snobbish attitude towards Indiana Jones.

I admit it! I'm one of those who like the Indy hats. There's a few here on the Lounge who do as well. I think my favorite Indy style would have to be the LC fedora. I was surfing through You Tube and found some interesting info on the Indy hats. The original Raiders hat was the Herbert Johnson "Poet". The felt for the Raiders was a particular Rabbit Fur from South America, which was not available for the second Indy movie, Temple of Doom. The original Raiders block was lost shortly after the first Indy movie was made. A different, somewhat tapered, block and stiffer Borsalino felt produced a noticable difference for the TOD fedora, still a Herbert Johnson hat though. For the Last Crusade movie Herbert Johnson produced another block, similar to the Raiders, for a return to the tall straight sided crown. The shorter cowboy curled brim was a noticable difference,...and again, HJ used the stiffer Borsalino felt for this one as well. Steve Delk's version was by far the better quality made of the previous three HJ versions. His version was 100% Beaver felt. Although, his version of the Indy hat is not my particular favorite of the previous three styles, his version of Indy's Grey traveling fedora is definitely my favorite. I would say, that next to the LC hat, Delk's version of the Grey, "Train Hat", is my second favorite out of the others. That hat is definitely awesome.

Last edited:

RJR

Pretty hard not to favor Penman's Indys.He's doing his own and an Adventurebilt version.

bendingoak

Vendor
I admit it! I'm one of those who like the Indy hats. There's a few here on the Lounge who do as well. I think my favorite Indy style would have to be the LC fedora. I was surfing through You Tube and found some interesting info on the Indy hats. The original Raiders hat was the Herbert Johnson "Poet". The felt for the Raiders was a particular Rabbit Fur from South America, which was not available for the second Indy movie, Temple of Doom. The original Raiders block was lost shortly after the first Indy movie was made. A different, somewhat tapered, block and stiffer Borsalino felt produced a noticable difference for the TOD fedora, still a Herbert Johnson hat though. For the Last Crusade movie Herbert Johnson produced another block, similar to the Raiders, for a return to the tall straight sided crown. The shorter cowboy curled brim was a noticable difference,...and again, HJ used the stiffer Borsalino felt for this one as well. Steve Delk's version was by far the better quality made of the previous three HJ versions. His version was 100% Beaver felt. Although, his version of the Indy hat is not my particular favorite of the previous three styles, his version of Indy's Grey traveling fedora is definitely my favorite. I would say, that next to the LC hat, Delk's version of the Grey, "Train Hat", is my second favorite out of the others. That hat is definitely awesome.

Some of that info is off a bit.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I've been called everything from Indiana Jones, to a Cowboy, to Sam Spade, a Mafioso, and many more. But again, who cares, a lot of those same people came up to be later and asked where I got my fedora and said "I sure wish I could pull that off and wear one". My response is always, anyone can "pull if off" if you wear the hat and don't let the hat "wear you".

fedoralover

If nothing else, threads like this prove you can wear almost any brimmed hat with almost any jacket and eventually you're going to hear some form of Indiana Jones comment (or Mad Men comment, or Boardwalk Empire comment, or fill-in-the-blank comment); it's inevitable. Wear whatever you like, accept such comments as compliments, and enjoy your day. [huh]

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
There's nothing wrong with the Indy look. I definitely like that style feodra with the tall straight sided crown and the dimensional cut Aussie like brim. I would rather have an Indy comment than I would the Freddy Krueger comment I got a couple weeks ago.

Edward

Bartender
Yeah, used to get freddy kreuger years ago. Mid 90s, black wool trench and black wool trilby worn with all black. Those kids must have been too young for Indy, so I figure Kreuger was tyeir point of reference for a brimmed hat. [huh]

After this we can start talking about the Bogie references if you wear a fedora and a trench coat. ;)

I wish. That combo gets me Inspector !@#$ing Gadget.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
After this we can start talking about the Bogie references if you wear a fedora and a trench coat. ;)

Nah, wouldn't work......Bogey's garb isn't half as iconic as Indy's & Humph was just wearing the clothes of his day, besides those old enough to remember the Bogart movies would have more class & sense than to offer mocking remarks :D

The Good

Call Me a Cab
There's nothing wrong with the Indy look. I definitely like that style feodra with the tall straight sided crown and the dimensional cut Aussie like brim. I would rather have an Indy comment than I would the Freddy Krueger comment I got a couple weeks ago.

That's right, there isn't really anything wrong with the look, or something similar. Most people believe that Indiana Jones is a cool fictional character, even if they hadn't seen any of the films more than once, and the attire he wears is a large part of that, whether they'd mention it or not. I understand how annoying it is to receive commentary that in some way references Indiana Jones, I have had that plenty of times over my wearing of a brown fedora (It's deliberately shaped like the Jones hat, and it's an Akubra Fed IV, so of course). Strangely, I don't remember ever getting the Indiana Jones remarks while wearing any of my other hats, so whoever said it visually identified the type of hat more accurately. I have had the comment over wearing just the leather jacket (Wested goatskin Raiders of the Lost Ark) before, combined with my olive green canvas satchel slung over my right shoulder, worn at university. I do expect it to happen sometimes, but I just smirk and brush it off. Normally, others making the comments are interested in where I got the hat, so I do explain it to them.

Judging by the frequency of the remarks, even nowadays, Indiana Jones continues to be the primary reference point for a brown fedora. As for any fedora color or style in general? I think within recent years, the public has become a little more knowledgable about the different varieties, as they have become more exposed to these hats in real life, popular culture, television, and the movies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points