Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How often do you wear your hat?

I was looking at some of the older posts and I wonder where some of those people went. James Powers posted for 11 years, over 54,000 posts and just vanished.
James had a...well, let's call it a "disagreement"...with the Bartenders over the content of one of his last posts here. I wasn't privy to the details, but it appears some words were exchanged in the heat of the moment and one party or the other decided it would be best if James discontinued his participation here at The Lounge.

Back to the main topic, I've worn a hat or cap almost every day since mid-2008. Which hat or cap usually depends on my mood, but long ago I reached the point when leaving the house without some form of headwear just feels somehow wrong.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
While I might, in some instances, consider the former bad form, the latter falls into the area of ridiculousness.

The problem in this time, is that if you DO take your hat off, then you get to hold it. Can't eat or work while holding a hat in one hand. There's almost never anywhere to put a hat. I've read that the whole hat check girl thing killed wearing hats in that it was say $1 including tip to have them "check" your $8 hat. (rough numbers). Go to lunch every day, pay for a hat the second week. JFK didn't help much nor did the whole stingy brim thing (in my opinion).

Later

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
The problem in this time, is that if you DO take your hat off, then you get to hold it. Can't eat or work while holding a hat in one hand. There's almost never anywhere to put a hat. I've read that the whole hat check girl thing killed wearing hats in that it was say $1 including tip to have them "check" your $8 hat. (rough numbers). Go to lunch every day, pay for a hat the second week. JFK didn't help much nor did the whole stingy brim thing (in my opinion).

Later

When I'm in a restaurant, my malady offers me one advantage. Since I have to carry my meds and other related crap in my small backpack, when I sit down I put the bag on the floor under my chair and put the hat on top of it. So far, so good.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
There was one day last year I didn't wear a hat: actually, I did, but I had to leave it in the car because of the wind. My office is just a half-block from the harbor in downtown Miami and sometimes we get gales right off the sea. As Charles Dickens said, there's nothing so entirely comical as a man chasing his hat in the wind.

SteveFord

A-List Customer
While it's true I wimp out in the shower I do try to dress well when I motor past the pestilential populace as I break quarantine.
How do I do it? Velcro!
quarantine.jpg

GHT

I'll Lock Up
While it's true I wimp out in the shower I do try to dress well when I motor past the pestilential populace as I break quarantine.
How do I do it? Velcro!
View attachment 229115
What a great idea. You could, of course, dispense with the crash helmet altogether and wear an original hard hat. There again if the UK police are anything to go by you would be stopped so many times that you might just go back to the original skid-lid.
hard hat.jpg

Since my diagnosis of skin cancer three years ago I wear a full brim fedora daily...
That's definitely a positive reason to wear brimmed hats. I had a bit of Basal Cell Carcinoma carved off of my nose in 2013 and afterward chose hats as my means of protection from further sun damage. Yeah, I do have a few stingy brims that are just about useless in that capacity, but I like a little variety so... :D

1967Cougar390

Practically Family
That's definitely a positive reason to wear brimmed hats. I had a bit of Basal Cell Carcinoma carved off of my nose in 2013 and afterward chose hats as my means of protection from further sun damage. Yeah, I do have a few stingy brims that are just about useless in that capacity, but I like a little variety so... :D

I had Squamous cell carcinoma so my doctor didn’t need to insist about the hats much at all. I’m an old soul and I’ve always loved old pictures of men wearing fedoras. So my hat wearing is practical as well as enjoyable. I’m blessed.

Steven

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot