Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How old is too old?

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
Tophat Dan said:
Overall appearance: The garment is a fitted cloak with a fabric-covered single button at the throat for closure and full lining.
It has a collar, of the type I think is called a "shawl collar". It is four inches wide and is almost exactly like the collar on the shirt in the picture in the link below, only the front points are rounded off.

The picture you showed looks like a flat collar (doesn't rise up to curve around the neck at all, but lays flat on the garment). One with rounded points like you describe would be a Peter Pan collar. A shawl collar looks something like this. (Why yes, I did have to identify a bunch of collar types in college! Why do you ask?)

I found the source of the torn stitches I heard though: A six inch portion of a lining seam let go. Fluffy old cotton thread that got tired of doing its job apparently. No cloth damage at all and can be repaired very simply.

Glad to hear the problem was just a seam! Now she can get it repaired and wear it. :)

Lining fabric (also black):
Most likely satin, though not of the super slippery, shiny type. It makes quite a rustle when you carry the garment around. There is no shattering or other weird decay on it that would make me think it was silk. Maybe it's cotton based as well?

Is it taffeta, maybe? Taffeta has a duller shine to it, feels matte (for lack of a better word), is stiffer and less slippery than satin, and most importantly - it rustles. A lot. Depending on the era, taffeta could be made of silk, or any of a variety of manmade fibers.

Now let me display my dating ignorance :p: From the covered button and the Peter Pan collar, my uneducated guess places it at the 20s at the earliest, although it really sounds like something 30s-50s. The collar especially doesn't strike me as either Edwardian or Victorian.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
der schneider said:
what is your take on altering period garments?

Both myself and the BF do alter things slightly, but nothing major. He gets jacket sleeves and trousers lengthened/shortened on suits. I have changed buttons, dropped hems, taken dresses in slightly. Pretty much all things that could be reversed.

We are both 'average' sized for our chosen period so luckily we have a reasonable amount of choice.

I wouldn't agree with making major changes to vintage though, especially military stuff, although there are plenty of people who do. Mainly though they are trying to make later things look earlier ie/ Post War look WW2.

SpitfireXIV

One of the Regulars
Daoud said:
Clothing will not last indefinitely, no matter how it's conserved. It's ephemeral. Might as well wear it.
that's about how i feel. clothes are meant to be worn. and since textiles have a relatively short life span compared to other vintage items, so... might as well wear them respectfully

pigeon toe

One Too Many
der schneider said:
what is your take on altering period garments?

I have alterations made on the majority of my vintage pieces. I'm rather petite and very short-waisted, so all of my dresses (except for the ones with "Teen" or "Junior" in the label) have to be altered in order for them to be wearable. Personally, since I buy these pieces to wear, I don't feel there's anything wrong in getting them hemmed or have the waist length changed. The changes I make don't affect the overall look. I only hem dresses to knee length or just below the knee, so that the dress stays true to the era. Normally dresses are calf length or longer on me because I'm so short.

Speaking of old garments, I have a homemade, late 30's dress that is extremely sturdy and I wear it often. It is the oldest piece I own, but also the one I wear the most!

just_me

Practically Family
My wedding gown was from the 30s. I had it altered to fit (it was too big) and the sleeves were made of lace, which had deteriorated, so I had the lace replaced.

The rest of the gown was satin and was in great condition. It was beautiful when it was done.

Minerva

Familiar Face
I don't see a problem with using things up. Especially fabrics, when they're not going to last anyway.

'Course, I'm the person who wore out my MIL's parents' tablecloth last year. It was fairly worn by the time we got it, and gave up after just a few years of use. The fabric was disintegrating faster than I could mend it. I settled for salvaging what I could to use for a wall-hanging, and the napkins are still usable at least.

My MIL was so pleased I've gotten that much more use of it that she's promised to send more linens along. Mostly Victorian/Edwardian, from what she was saying, so let's see what condition they're in when they get here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters