Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How old might this Dobbs be?

Lonn

Familiar Face
Hi,
I picked up this Dobbs at a thrift store hoping to sell it on ebay.
It is in pretty good shape and looks fairly old to me. I've only seen a few with a wind trolly or a guild edge.
Any ideas?

dobbs-01-01.jpg

dobbs-01-01.jpg

(there should be two images here. If you are seeing one, it might be a local permissions thing at google. Would someone let me know?)

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Early 1960

It appears to be a 1960's era hat. One of the finer ones before they went cheap-o.

Did you look under the sweatband for the re-order tag, if there is one?

Lonn

Familiar Face
listed

I posted some more pics a while back and was hoping to get a clearer idea on this hats age from the esteemed experts here. I want to be confident the age I am representing is reasonable as I have listed this hat on ebay

If you get a chance, take a picture of the satin liner and the imprint of the logo that is on the fabric.

I don't know the year range but I think in the late forties thru maybe the early sixties there is usually a clear plastic at the top of the liner over the logo imprint. Without it, the hat can be earlier or later. If earlier, unless stored very well, the liner and the sweat band will usually have an indication of the age with a yellowing or ambering to the colors and the sweat band will be dried out sometimes.

The gold label for the size makes me think 60's or later, but I could be wrong.

Lonn

Familiar Face
liner

It does have the plastic in the liner. It is difficult to tell from the pictures because the plastic is textured to match the satin. Pretty cool. I've never noticed that treatment to a liner before.

dobbs-01-07.jpg

I went with 60's in the listing because of John's assessment early on and the over all condition. I was not sure the $20 placed it there as well, not really clear on what hats were going for then. Something to cover in a thread, perhaps. Relative retail values thru the decades or some such.

Cat_in_the_hat

New in Town
Can someone help date this Dobbs?

I saw this on ebay and the owner said it is a 1930-1946 but I can not tell from the pictures because it is a game bird hat, not a regular one. I feel like it is closer to the 50s than 40s. Pictures in the link. http://www.ebay.com/itm/221785575895

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou