Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How thick is the leather from Aeroleather?

Lando

Practically Family
Hammer: Ever looked at Vanson's Solar leather? Its stark white and at nights glows when there no light on it. Its a great leather for visibility and very neat to look at. Also plenty thick. If they no longer use it, there still may be some jackets made with it floating on the bay. I had a car coat made for it a number of years ago so when I was walking at night I could always been seen. Everything white on that jacket glows.
3321476957_e2f117870a_z.jpg

Uniwissender: The finish on a leather will also give it the illusion of being thicker or thinner. I have a lost worlds 5 oz. moosehide that I thought was way thinner because it didn't feel stiff at all. Vanson competition weight is only 3.5 I believe, and its feels very stiff and thick. I remember when I got my first FQHH Aero I was actually surprised at how thin it felt, but it was just the finish on the hide that made it feel soft despite being very thick. Just thought I would add that to all the great commentary on the matter.

Otter

One Too Many
Agreed, a very nice jacket! One of my collection is the Aero Motorcycle in Steerhide, the hide on this is very very thick and much heavier than any other jacket I have, probably to give you the natural leather armor effect. I only wear it on nice summer days when I know it is not going to get wet, just covered in flies, otherwise the Hein comes out the cupboard! I trust sliding along the ground on a thin layer of realy quite nice leather backed by composite plastic armour more than leather alone much as it hurts my pride. If I had to go for a jacket for summer casual motor cycling wear it would be Aero or maybe Vanson, serious stuff then I have been happy with Hein Gericke.

OOH Nice jacket Lando just saw that as I was typing this.:eusa_clap

Hammer Down

One of the Regulars
Yes, I saw the solar on Vanson's website! There is one coat left with it. I would have purchased a glow in the dark coat, but I am a little paranoid about wearing things that glow on a regular basis due to possible radiation poisoning, not from wearing it, but rather from having residual particles rub off and get on ones fingers, rubbed in one's eyes, etc. For me, "glow" = radiation. I certainly have worn glow sticks for fun at parties and I once had a glow in the dark keychain thingamabob, so I'm not too paranoid, just a little. If I were to buy a glow Vanson, I would want to own it and wear it regularly for up to ten or so years, maybe more!

Edward

Bartender
eBayISAPI.dll

Jinkies, ye'd no lose yerself in the dark in that!

I've seen those on eBay before in blues and whatever, but never that canary yellow!

Unwissender

One of the Regulars
... I've thought about it seriously, if I can remove them from the good patch jacket. Then the jacket would be good for cycling in the darkness and in the winter.

But in my eyes, this jacket is very painful

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24