Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How thick is the leather from Aeroleather?

Unwissender

One of the Regulars
Hi all..... :)

How thick is the heavy FQHH and the midweight FQHH? Is this dicker as heavy Steerhide?

Thanks for our comments .

Have a nice Weekend :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Don't make fun zee german, Ja? I have a friend who is also a little d... heavy.
I think the thickness of aero leather was discussed several times before. Sorry I couldn't help.[huh]

Otter

One Too Many
<Resists temptation to do Basil Faulty>

OK serious answer, my strictly personal feeling is that the heavy horsehide and the heavy steerhide are very close in thickness. I have an older Aero Motorcycle in steerhide and the difference is in the graining with the steerhide being a slightly grainier leather. The M422 I have is in a very grainy leather , but quite heavy and required almost no breaking in.I found the horse to be a stiffer leather needing a longer breaking in period amd in general a smoother leather.

Tony B

One of the Regulars
Fqhh is average 1.5mm dick...dick being german for thick.

Dick leder being thick leather not some one leading a bloke round by ...well you get it.

Sorry Paddy, couldn't resist.

It isn't the heavyness that makes the difference it is the character or feel, get aero to send you some samples of each. The FQHH is packed with wax and rolled so it is a solid "lump" with no suede on the back where as the other leathers do have suede back so the feel of eack is totally different and you really need to get your hands on them to make your mind up what you prefer.

Edward

Bartender
All I can suggest is to ask Amanda to send you some samples - that's probably the best indication. My Aero steer jacket is as thick as my FQHH, but out of the box much less stiff, so it's certainly true that different hides have different properties.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Edward is giving you sound advice. The thickness will vary according to the batches of leather used so no definitive answer can be given. Just get some samples.

Hammer Down

One of the Regulars
The word "dick" literally means "thick" in German, and in fact, it stems from the same Germanic root word way back in time, since English is a branch of the Germanic language tree, not the Latin tree, as many English speakers tend to believe due to their schooling/indoctrination in public schools, which are little more these days than mass cultural brainwashing centers for our financial pirate overlords. "Dicker" is an understandable malapropism for a native German speaker, aside from the fact that in English "thicker" sounds like "dicker." As languages evolve, the "th" sound is often exchanged with a "d" sound, as the affricative palatal position for each is fairly similar. I only know this because I am an English professor. Here is one similar example with a different affricate sound, since we are speaking of steer and cow hides: Chattel used to be the word "cattle." It evolved over time from a soft "chuh" sound to a hard "cuh" sound.

I, too, would be interested to hear about how Aero leather, particularly how Aero's front quarter horsehide compares with Schott's relatively limited offerings in horsehides (with which I am familiar), or even the horsehide thickness as compared with the steerhides of Vanson, for instance.

I just bought a Vanson Lightning Jacket yesterday. It has perf leather on the front, but not the arms. I bought bright yellow, not because I particularly like that color, but because I want to be visible to motorists in daytime, as well as nighttime (the jacket also has 3M glow-piping). I have been "almost" run off the road more times than I can count, and I have avoided being T-boned by cars pulling out in front of me by keeping my head in an emergency situation and reacting quickly by steering/swerving around the car in question. Well, leather is my ally in this regard.

My new hard-armor Vanson will help me feel safer whilst riding, but the best form of safety is prevention and paranoid riding that goes far beyond "defensive driving." A nice thick leather is most welcome to me as a motorcylist.

vansonyellow.jpg

Here is the jacket I bought. I got it used and fully armored with hard armor on Ebay for $400. Not a steal, but still I saved myself about $350 dollars, and the jacket is supposed to be almost like new with one slight smudge. We will see. It's on its way from Florida to Oregon now.

Last edited:
@ Hammer: I wear yellow too. Yellow lid, yellow jacket. Bing all black might be "cool" but it's deadly on a bike. No thanks.
I've had (have) Schott, Vanson, etc. and Aero FQHH is as thick or thicker. It depends on the batch, the jacket, etc.
You'd be safe in any of them. But to be sure, I would not wear a light or mid weight leather jacket riding. Either the heavy stuff, or a Cortech jacket with pads.
Safety is #1, looking cool comes in a distant 2nd. Although I in no way feel uncool...walking away from a getdown is cool.

Hammer Down

One of the Regulars
I almost got this: http://www.vansonleathers.com/prod-Chopper-640.aspx. It's a lot like Langlitz's standard coat, but $420 cheaper. Ultimately, I chose the bright color and armor. Your response is dead-on accurate and smart: safety first for me, too. Have a great Saturday, ButteMT! Two fingers. It's sunny here and I'm getting ready to head out the Columbia Gorge for a ride on the Old Highway, by about ten different scenic water falls and some really nice windy country roads out by a lot of farms with apple and pear orchards. Riding my bike in the country helps keep me from feeling cooped up in the City where I live. There's only one thing better than riding, and that's flying. Too rich for my blood. I would love to have a little plane though. If I did, I would definitely have an Aero jacket by now.

Otter: If you ever get the Bones, don't forget the bones gloves that go with it! Fully decked out, that is bad azz.

Last edited:
Sounds great, HD! Jealous. I'm contemplating learning to fly this year - depending on how things go with work.
The Vanson "Bones" is cool as hell - maybe too cool for the likes of me. Always wanted one, never felt it was "me" though. :)
Rubber side down friends. Two back atcha.

Chi-Town Co

Familiar Face
I, too, would be interested to hear about how Aero leather, particularly how Aero's front quarter horsehide compares with Schott's relatively limited offerings in horsehides (with which I am familiar), or even the horsehide thickness as compared with the steerhides of Vanson, for instance.

Hammer- I used to own a Schott 689HH. I currently own Aero FQHH, Vanson competition cowhide, and Schott 141 cowhide.. In terms of quality and thickness I would rank them Aero, Vanson and Schott.. IMHO the Schott horse and Aero horse are not close. Aero is much thicker and heavier than the Schott horse. Maybe it was the batch but a clear difference in my mind... by the way, I like the new Vanson you ordered.. Chi-Town..

Unwissender

One of the Regulars
... thank you again for another interesting comments!

I'm learning the words of a foreign language is very slow. Like the German word "dick" in English, which I can now remember me well for all ages :))))

P.S. The yellow leather is coooool!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner