Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this Horse Hide from 5 *?

revkev

One of the Regulars
Hi, I tried to post in the 5* thread but there was some serious hissy x fitting going on and the mods locked it up....anywhoooo. I ordered a Horsehide from them and am quite certain this is cowhide. Unless its a cheaper cut, but I have owned about 8 Horsehides and they were all smooth and most marked FQHH.

This looks like Steerhide and I emailed/WA'd both Shawn and Fargham immediately after receiving pics, but still waiting for a reply.

thumbnail.jpeg
Screen Shot 2024-02-13 at 11.08.30 AM.png

revkev

One of the Regulars
Horse or cow...either way it looks like a cheapo printed hide. Great for a lady's handbag. I don't think if you found out it was HH you'd feel any better about it. I know I wouldn't.
No I wouldn't. If I wanted this look, I would've saved $200 and gotten Steer. I hate to have to reject this order, but at least we spare shipping.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Hi, I tried to post in the 5* thread but there was some serious hissy x fitting going on and the mods locked it up....anywhoooo. I ordered a Horsehide from them and am quite certain this is cowhide. Unless its a cheaper cut, but I have owned about 8 Horsehides and they were all smooth and most marked FQHH.

This looks like Steerhide and I emailed/WA'd both Shawn and Fargham immediately after receiving pics, but still waiting for a reply.

View attachment 590047 View attachment 590048

As @ton312 said, at that point it makes no difference whether it is horse or cow, it is printed crap...

revkev

One of the Regulars
Going to reject this regardless. Let's see how this customer satisfication policy they have goes. I own/have owned many HH from Eastman, Aero, Schott, MA+ and some vintage and have been spoiled with the tanning from Horween and Guidi. Was excited to see a HH for under $400 but as the old adage goes...u get what u pay for..

I'm glad you went full circle with them.
I remember having discussion with RD wondering if you had gone mad, telling ourselves that these jackets looked obviously cheap but not wanting to poop in your cereals...
Coming back to a "sane" Tony is great!
Oh I always knew they were cheap, but I really had fun playing talentless designer. You were right about them on page 2 of the thread when you discussed them as 2D jackets.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
One out of three worked for me: G-1 chest was 2” smaller across than specified & thus was too snug (sold that). Suede Trucker bled like a good one and went in the bin (got full refund).
Deerskin Trucker went back once to ‘fix’ colour & is now one of my favourite jackets & is an exact leather clone of the denim jacket I sent Shawn to work from. Gets lots of compliments too.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I’m now back to buying Eastmans jackets at a rate of one every few years due to cost. It’s unlikely I’ll buy any more 5* Leather jackets but I have been tempted to try one of their nylon MA-1’s by way of forwarding one of my existing ones to base measurements on.

Hide'n'seek

One of the Regulars
I'd be very surprised if the have much access to horse hides. I know how hard the tanneries we all know find sourcing raw horse hides, so to find in Pakistan or import into Pakistan I very much doubt is happening. I suspect there is a lot of pulling the wool over your eyes ........or are we seeing a return of "Storce"

I'd be very surprised if the have much access to horse hides. I know how hard the tanneries we all know find sourcing raw horse hides, so to find in Pakistan or import into Pakistan I very much doubt is happening. I suspect there is a lot of pulling the wool over your eyes ........or are we seeing a return of "Storce"
Well let’s be honest, the storce was 18,000x nicer than this. Storce was still a beautiful CXL. This 5 Star is flea market handbag hide. Buy two get the third one free type stuff.

View attachment 590047 View attachment 590048
I dug back through my folder of 5 Star. I’m fairly certain your jacket is in fact the same garden variety cow as this (please look pat the horribly misshapen sleeve)
IMG_0818.jpeg
IMG_0819.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner