Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this Horse Hide from 5 *?

Hi, I tried to post in the 5* thread but there was some serious hissy x fitting going on and the mods locked it up....anywhoooo. I ordered a Horsehide from them and am quite certain this is cowhide. Unless its a cheaper cut, but I have owned about 8 Horsehides and they were all smooth and most marked FQHH.

This looks like Steerhide and I emailed/WA'd both Shawn and Fargham immediately after receiving pics, but still waiting for a reply.

View attachment 590047 View attachment 590048

It looks like (n)either cowhide or horsehide. It could be any and none is distinguishable from the other with absolute certainty, printed or not. All of this stuff is whatever the maker says it is and if they say it's horsehide, it's all the same to me, you or any of us.

Here's a test - Can anyone say what kind of leather this is?

20240214-120103.jpg

TartuWolf

Practically Family
Funny you mention that. Got a pair of local handmade wool mittens yesterday. What I like about it the most is the smell. It doesn't smell like regular wool, but rather like an actual alive sheep haha. Especially when a bit wet.

revkev

One of the Regulars
For the love of Gawd, their customer service stinks. I told them to not send this and just refund me. Replied to Fargham's email within minutes of receiving his questioning the leather and rejecting order. Then Whatsapp'd Shawn. ZERO response from either. They are sure quick to reply before they take your money, but once they get it, they take their sweet time. Is this common? When you have a problem, then all of a sudden you are on the back burner?

For the love of Gawd, their customer service stinks. I told them to not send this and just refund me. Replied to Fargham's email within minutes of receiving his questioning the leather and rejecting order. Then Whatsapp'd Shawn. ZERO response from either. They are sure quick to reply before they take your money, but once they get it, they take their sweet time. Is this common? When you have a problem, then all of a sudden you are on the back burner?
It’s possible they are trying to find out what happened with your order. It’s also possible they will come back, tell you it is in fact HH, and send you a tracking number. If they tell you it’s what you ordered I don’t think they will refund you based on the hides appearance. I don’t know that for certain but that’s my gut feeling.

Edward

Bartender
I’m now back to buying Eastmans jackets at a rate of one every few years due to cost. It’s unlikely I’ll buy any more 5* Leather jackets but I have been tempted to try one of their nylon MA-1’s by way of forwarding one of my existing ones to base measurements on.

I'm intrigued by their canvas USN flying jackets (the M421, if memory serves?). I've certainly encountered other makers in the past whose textile jackets were great even if I wasn't so keen on their leathers.

As to OP, horse and steer can sometimes look a lot more alike than we expect, which would make me wary of paying a big upcharge for horse for the sake of it, unless it *was* a particularly special hide that steer / cow couldn't match.

Kenan

A-List Customer
I’m now back to buying Eastmans jackets at a rate of one every few years due to cost. It’s unlikely I’ll buy any more 5* Leather jackets but I have been tempted to try one of their nylon MA-1’s by way of forwarding one of my existing ones to base measurements on.
Less is more tbh. Especially if you are between buying more 5* jackets or waiting and getting something from Eastman.

revkev

One of the Regulars
I'm intrigued by their canvas USN flying jackets (the M421, if memory serves?). I've certainly encountered other makers in the past whose textile jackets were great even if I wasn't so keen on their leathers.

As to OP, horse and steer can sometimes look a lot more alike than we expect, which would make me wary of paying a big upcharge for horse for the sake of it, unless it *was* a particularly special hide that steer / cow couldn't match.
I never have seen horse look like steer like this. Oh well.

cbez

One Too Many
Maybe they're slipping you cow too...post it up. I've never seen 'pebbly' horse for lack of a better word. I've seen spidery/whiskery that looks similar though.

spectre6000

One of the Regulars
...unless our microscope using new member figures something out.
No promises; no hypotheses. I'm practicing radical ignorance on this one. All I can promise is that I'll do my best.

I suggested/soft requested to Shawn this morning that he send me a complete set of all available leathers (rather than just the browns I initially requested), and pointed him to the microscopy thread. I just discovered this thread in the last (however many minutes it took to read it). I'll keep people posted in that thread.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
No promises; no hypotheses. I'm practicing radical ignorance on this one. All I can promise is that I'll do my best.

I suggested/soft requested to Shawn this morning that he send me a complete set of all available leathers (rather than just the browns I initially requested), and pointed him to the microscopy thread. I just discovered this thread in the last (however many minutes it took to read it). I'll keep people posted in that thread.

Once you get the CHL, keep the swatch tucked into your chest pocket at all times. Should you ever get shot, it'll stop the bullet.

revkev

One of the Regulars
Soooo Shawn claims my steer looking hide is horse. Regardless I’m rejecting the order. When discussing the jacket (prepayment) he would reply back in minutes. Now that there is an issue, I wait days for a reply. But the HH he has pictured on the site looks absolutely nothing like the one they made for me. This is my first and last time I deal with 1 Star

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
When discussing the jacket (prepayment) he would reply back in minutes. Now that there is an issue, I wait days for a reply.
That is incredibly frustrating! It turns an already tense situation into an adversarial one in my experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner