Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to be a Hepburn in a Hilton World

LizzieMaine

Bartender
C-dot said:
Yes - Modesty and Prudishness are not to be confused.

"A prude (Old French) is a person who is described as being concerned with decorum or propriety. They may be perceived as being uncomfortable with sexuality, nudity, alcohol, drug use or mischief."

When I think of "prudishness," I think of someone who isn't so much "uncomfortable" about these things as she is supercilious about it -- and maybe just a dite hypocritical. Picture the preacher's wife who's secretly carrying on with the deacon.

But that's not to say there aren't legitmate reasons to be uncomfortable with any or all of those things -- if I found some naked drunks having sex in our theatre balcony while smoking pot and cutting up the seats you can be sure I'd be quite a bit more than just uncomfortable with it, I'd be pitching them over the railing. And if that makes me Mrs. Crumplebottom, well, so be it. (Why is there no icon for "fish-eyed glowering glare?")

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Cody Pendant said:
I have only read the review way above.

Let me get this straight..... the author thinks that Ms. H. makes a GOOD roll model????
[huh]

It talks as if she is a model for moral behavior that you would want your daughter to emulate. Not me.
Lets see as already stated.
Adulterer (multiple times), divorcée, cheater, liar and fornicator. Suspended from collage.

Yea right, that’s what you want to girl to learn.
Not what I want my child to emulate.

And lets not forget her motherly instincts ala her mom : Katharine Martha Houghton (1878 – 1951) (co-founder of Planned Parenthood.)
No wonder she never had children, or knew how to maintain a relationship with a man.

And lets not forget her wonderful way with words…. I believe she was known in the press as “Acerbic”!

The woman had absolutly NO MORAL COMPAS!
Do what ever feels good to you at anybodys expense.

Seems to me peeps are confusing star success with a successful life. Lets make heros out of any famous person, because it will sell, not because they are worthy examples.

Let me guess, the next book recommendation will be the pedaphile Michal J.’s post humus book on parenting! Titled : Loving your boys the “Thriller” way.

Give me a break!

Sir, your observations are, I think, about Katherine Hepburn.

Audrey Hepburn made some mistakes, but also worked for the Resistance during World War II when she was just a kid and worked for UNICEF for many years.

Be that as it may, to set out to write a book about keeping your chin up and your skirt down, and choose role models who fooled around with married men, seems odd.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I think alliteration was valued over any particular historic moral fiber.

Katherine was at least badass, and had that level of respect for herself that contrasts sharply with the sad sort of "spineless sexy" that reads less as a choice and more as a lack of confidence. Wit and conscious choice and yes "acerbic wit" are at least better than vacuous concern for really expensive shredded jeans.

But who is this writing this guide for "girls of 12-25(!)" anyway?

I was rather fond of the "bombshell guide to fashion" or whatever it was called (I'll google it at some point) based on vintage starlets and it was self-aware and funny, not a serious guide on Moral Fiber And Not Being Easy. Which, whatever. Pandering to the "be the good girl he wants to marry not the bad girl he wants for a weekend" is kind of sad to me.

Cody Pendant

One of the Regulars
Break Served!

Paisley said:
Sir, your observations are, I think, about Katherine Hepburn.

Audrey Hepburn made some mistakes, but also worked for the Resistance during World War II when she was just a kid and worked for UNICEF for many years.

Be that as it may, to set out to write a book about keeping your chin up and your skirt down, and choose role models who fooled around with married men, seems odd.

Please regard my comments as in the context of “recommended reading for your child”.

Paisley: This thread has been discussing both the Hepburn ladies (including by you and others)forgive me for taking it as understood.
Their are 2 books on the discussion here. Both the original and the one mentioned by Cecil.
Neither woman as you have stated are by any stretch of the imagination worthy of any moral example.
As you state; “keeping your skirt down”, pleeeaaaaasssseeeee….they had them over their heads on the casting couch most of the time. Audrey had more than one confirmed affair and more than one divorce. Not really, a surprise is it. She only broke off the affair you mentioned after she couldn’t get pregnant and finding out that he had had a vasectomy. Tricky lot these adulterous actors, wee no?
Yes, no one is perfect, but really this is to me another case of , their rich and famous so they must be worthy of our praise and admiration. Rubbish!
I can appreciate both their works as actresses, actually really like their acting, but not as moral leaders.

And Hadley H. and Cecil: As this is a thread about books about the morals of “STARS” as role models with guidelines for young ladies, as recommended reading for the pubescent child, consider the following:
Your personal convictions aside, so please don’t take this as an affront to you personally;
Are you stating or indicating that you would recommend to your daughter or others daughters that she / they should read these books and do you recommend that she / they engage in adultery, fornication, pre-marital sex or what ever euphemisms you would choose? As a means to stardom and success? Personal fulfillment? For what reason do you recommend the above choices? And yes the word and the deed are still around.

Break served!
;)

Christy

One of the Regulars
Viola said:
I think alliteration was valued over any particular historic moral fiber.

Katherine was at least badass, and had that level of respect for herself that contrasts sharply with the sad sort of "spineless sexy" that reads less as a choice and more as a lack of confidence. Wit and conscious choice and yes "acerbic wit" are at least better than vacuous concern for really expensive shredded jeans.

But who is this writing this guide for "girls of 12-25(!)" anyway?

I was rather fond of the "bombshell guide to fashion" or whatever it was called (I'll google it at some point) based on vintage starlets and it was self-aware and funny, not a serious guide on Moral Fiber And Not Being Easy. Which, whatever. Pandering to the "be the good girl he wants to marry not the bad girl he wants for a weekend" is kind of sad to me.

'The Bombshell Manual of Style' Is that the book you're talking about? I have that one, I love it. It's fun and light hearted and entertaining.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Cody Pendant said:
And Hadley H. blah.............blah..............blah.......And yes the word and the deed are still around.

Break served!
;)

what the heck do you mean by that? what the................ the word the deed? honestly Cody Pendant ... are you Moses or something? .....Oh man!!!! chill out! :rage: :rolleyes:

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Cody Pendant said:
And Hadley H. and Cecil: As this is a thread about books about the morals of “STARS” as role models with guidelines for young ladies, as recommended reading for the pubescent child, consider the following:
Your personal convictions aside, so please don’t take this as an affront to you personally;
Are you stating or indicating that you would recommend to your daughter or others daughters that she / they should read these books and do you recommend that she / they engage in adultery, fornication, pre-marital sex or what ever euphemisms you would choose? As a means to stardom and success? Personal fulfillment? For what reason do you recommend the above choices? And yes the word and the deed are still around.

Break served!
;)

Alas....you ask others to put their personal convictions aside.....yet your rhetoric is filled with your personal convictions and stating as if they were shared by all.

That's perhaps a large assumption to make in a general context.

(please note I am not arguing -for- bad behavior on the part of ladies, merely that saying that certain things are an incontrovertible moral truth for all persons is an erroneous assumption and a personal conviction)

Cody Pendant

One of the Regulars
Whats up wit the 'tude....Dude?

HadleyH said:
QUOTE=HadleyH]#1Cody Pendant

You ask to give you a break?
YOU give us a break please :mad:

#2 what the heck do you mean by that? what the................ the word the deed? honestly Cody Pendant ... are you Moses or something? .....Oh man!!!! chill out! :rage: :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Sigh, :eusa_doh:
Just being cheeky with you a bit, carrying on with the "break" thing.
It is a tennis reference. Perhaps you could look it up to save space.

As in tennis, this is back and forth over the net.

Ok , for you responses. I am not sure why you feel the need for the anger and mad smiley’s. I was not intending to rake any ire. Simply addressing the issue at hand.

I still request that you address my question to you. Would you recommend the books and the behavior of the women in question to your daughter? Perhaps you could take a moment, reread, and reflect on my questions.
I assure you I will not disrespect your position or opinion. This is simply a discussion.
I think I deserve better treatment than blah, blah, blah.

I did not take offence to your comments but chose to address them. Kindly do the same for me.

Next the “word and deed” is a direct reference to your comments on my choice of using the specific and correct terms for the actions under discussion, i.e. “fornication”.

As for my state of being, I am quite Chill’n at the moment. Note: I have used no anger, mad, hate or other language or smilies to indicate otherwise.

I am extremely concerned with the popular media hype presented to our youth as guidance. Pop media routinely makes role models of people who have no moral fiber or compass. They celebrate and make heroes of people that are morally and socially bankrupt. If that’s what you follow, so you will go.

Volley served!

Cody Pendant

One of the Regulars
Miss Neecerie said:
Alas....you ask others to put their personal convictions aside.....yet your rhetoric is filled with your personal convictions and stating as if they were shared by all.

That's perhaps a large assumption to make in a general context.

(please note I am not arguing -for- bad behavior on the part of ladies, merely that saying that certain things are an incontrovertible moral truth for all persons is an erroneous assumption and a personal conviction)

Not at all! I never assumed that my "rhetoric" or moral convictions are / is shared by all. lol (please re-read the thread starter) I have pop-corn also!

However, THIS particular discussion is directly about roll models and morals. I am free to discuss the issue at hand.

Perhaps you would like to join in. How do you see it. How does the moral character of the county compare to the Golden Era and now, using starlets of the bygone day from Hollywood, (long known as a corrupt and deficient business) impact your daughter?

Perhaps you like Gan'ster Rap and it's lifestyle. Your choice Miss N. However, we should be able to discuss the moral ramifications your roll models will have on the "youth of the nation". I.E. the drug problems, the welfare, the killing, the prison I am paying for,,,etc. Not sure what the positives are. Maybe someone will let me know.

As for the personal convictions aside, that was specifically for the person being addressed, so as not to make a personal attack.

I will ask you the same questions in the sprit of discussion. Would you recommend a book about morals to your daughter, which she can look up the life story of online, and see she does not practice what she preaches?

Point lol

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Cody Pendant said:
Not at all! I never assumed that my "rhetoric" or moral convictions are / is shared by all. lol (please re-read the thread starter) I have pop-corn also!

However, THIS particular discussion is directly about roll models and morals. I am free to discuss the issue at hand.

Perhaps you would like to join in. How do you see it. How does the moral character of the county compare to the Golden Era and now, using starlets of the bygone day from Hollywood, (long known as a corrupt and deficient business) impact your daughter?

Perhaps you like Gan'ster Rap and it's lifestyle. Your choice Miss N. However, we should be able to discuss the moral ramifications your roll models will have on the "youth of the nation". I.E. the drug problems, the welfare, the killing, the prison I am paying for,,,etc. Not sure what the positives are. Maybe someone will let me know.

As for the personal convictions aside, that was specifically for the person being addressed, so as not to make a personal attack.

I will ask you the same questions in the sprit of discussion. Would you recommend a book about morals to your daughter, which she can look up the life story of online, and see she does not practice what she preaches?

Point lol

You seem to be having a debate with yourself. I will leave you to it. ;)

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Christy said:
'The Bombshell Manual of Style' Is that the book you're talking about? I have that one, I love it. It's fun and light hearted and entertaining.

Oh, Christy, that's the one! I'm so grateful you were able to decipher my mumblings - I had the book years ago and have lost my copy and couldn't remember the right name.

Yes, light-hearted, that's why I like it. As guides go I like that style more than the very dourly prim ones that talk down.

Christy

One of the Regulars
Cody Pendant said:
And lets not forget her motherly instincts ala her mom : Katharine Martha Houghton (1878 – 1951) (co-founder of Planned Parenthood.)
No wonder she never had children

To me, this part of your original post sounds like a personal belief. Personally, I do not know anything about Katherine or Audrey Hepburn, so I can't answer your question fully as to whether or not I'd want them to be a role model for my daughter if I had one. The little I do know about Katherine: the fact that she was a strong independent woman, and the fact that she did not have kids in a time where it was considered strange if women didn't settle down and have kids is a good thing. I would want those traits to be a role model for my hypothetical daughter.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Cody Pendant said:
I still request that you address my question to you. Would you recommend the books and the behavior of the women in question to your daughter?
I think I deserve better treatment than blah, blah, blah.

I did not take offence to your comments but chose to address them. Kindly do the same for me.

Next the “word and deed” is a direct reference to your comments on my choice of using the specific and correct terms for the actions under discussion, i.e. “fornication”.

Volley served!

mmmmmm...... to be succint....i don't have any daughter but if i had i would not stop her from reading any book. OK, question answered.

secondly and more importantly..... from the zillions and zillions of words you seem to be fixated on the word "fornication". What is your problem with that word Cody Pendant? why it bothers you so much? ...... anyway..... what do i care one way or another! [huh]

Cody Pendant

One of the Regulars
thank you

Christy said:
To me, this part of your original post sounds like a personal belief. Personally, I do not know anything about Katherine or Audrey Hepburn, so I can't answer your question fully as to whether or not I'd want them to be a role model for my daughter if I had one. The little I do know about Katherine: the fact that she was a strong independent woman, and the fact that she did not have kids in a time where it was considered strange if women didn't settle down and have kids is a good thing. I would want those traits to be a role model for my hypothetical daughter.

Thanks Christy for the thought process. Your one of the first to even address it with direct points. They may have some positives to portray. I got no problem with the strong and independent parts. Not even with the no kids thing.

Cody Pendant

One of the Regulars
HadleyH said:
mmmmmm...... to be succint....i don't have any daughter but if i had i would not stop her from reading any book. OK, question answered.

secondly and more importantly..... from the zillions and zillions of words you seem to be fixated on the word "fornication". What is your problem with that word Cody Pendant? why it bothers you so much? ...... anyway..... what do i care one way or another! [huh]

Thanks for answering.

Second (and I find halliarious)....YOU are the one fixated, you commented twice and asked what I meant. I simply answered. Doesn't bother me a bit.
Thanks for your time.
nuf said

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I don't think I'd be comfortable giving the same advice to my daughhter when she's 12 as when she's 21 and I have sort of a big problem with the lack of recognition of change in "things that are terrible for middle-schoolers" vs. "things that are wrong for grown women" whether that's manner of dress or relationships or whatever.

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Cody Pendant said:
Are you stating [...] that you would recommend to your daughter or others daughters that she / they engage in pre-marital sex? [...] For what reason do you recommend the above choices?
For the obvious reasons.

HadleyH said:
i don't have any daughter but if i had i would not stop her from reading any book.
:eusa_clap

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Cody Pendant said:
Adulterer (multiple times), divorcée, cheater, liar and fornicator. Suspended from collage.

Where I don't agree with people having adulterous affairs I don't understand your issue with a person being divorced - how is that some kind of personality defect or flaw on their character?

What are you supposed to do if your marriage is not working and you have tried everything you can to salvage it - stick with it? Just for the sake of remaining married? What would be the point in that?

Life is not a dress rehearsal and to stay in a loveless (or perhaps even violent) marriage just so you can say you are still married and stuck it out makes no sense whatsoever.

The word "fornicator" sounds like something from Children of the Corn - quite frankly it gives me the creeps......

I'm a huge Audrey fan and although she made mistakes (the adultery being a big issue for me) I can heartily say that I think she would be a very good role model for girls in this day and age (she's not perfect - but who is?). I have never read a bad word about her and people only had good things to say about her - her caring nature, her generosity, her ability to make everyone around her feel at ease - to her final years working selflessly for UNICEF even when she was seriously ill with cancer.

No - she wasn't perfect but I think she was pretty close....

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I don't think, whatever it's worth, that the point of the book under discussion is necessarily to hold up any particular celebrity as a specific role model, so is there really any need to dissect every action, positive or negative, that either of the Hepburns may have committed? To do so misses the real point, I think - - that whatever one may think of Kate or Audrey personally, one would have to agree that they lived their lives with *adult dignity*, which is something sadly lacking in the current crop of party-hearty carousers you see in the tabloids.

As far as I can see, that's the whole point of the "Hepburn vs. Hilton" comparison, not should-you-or-shouldn't-you-have-premarital-sex. People are entitled to their own views on that question, and are entitled to make whatever decision on that subject that they feel is right, without being personally attacked or mocked from either side.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto