Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Robocut: a low cost haircut system for tough economic times

Corky

Practically Family
The Robocut: a low cost haircut system for tough economic times

Back in the 1980’s I saw an informercial for the Flowbee, an electrically powered vacuum attachment made for cutting hair.

And for the cost of a few haircuts, I got a tool that enabled me to give others and myself a fairly decent haircut.

The device attached to the suction hose of a vacuum cleaner and the suction stands the hair up and allows the device to cut the hair in a clean and even manner. One set of attachments allowed the hair to be cut at specific lengths and another allowed the sides to be cut in an even taper.

The secret behind the success of this device is simple: when all of the hair on a person’s head is cut to the same length, the resulting haircut almost always looks pretty good on anybody.

When my son was small, this device saved us a considerable amount of money and countless hours of dragging him back and forth to barber shops.

The problem with the Flowbee was that after a certain amount of use, the blades got dull. Then the device didn’t work as well as it had before. It tended to pull and uncomfortably chop the hair. The kids stopped looking forward to getting haircuts. I looked around, but couldn’t find a replacement Flowbee anywhere. So eventually the Flowbee went to Goodwill and we went back to SuperCuts.

Fast foward to this year: my son is now in his early 20’s and paying for his haircuts out of his own pocket money. So one day he asks me about whatever happened to the old Flowbee and can we get another one.

So I search the Internets and learn that there are supposed to Flowbees around somewhere, but the retailers are all out of stock.

But then I discover there’s another product, the Robocut. It is another vacuum powered haircut system, but with a major difference: the Robocut has replaceable blades.

R3Cweb90.jpg

So we order a Robocut. It arrives in a reasonable time.

Any vacuum with a hose will work, so we attach it to our shop vac with a universal tool adapter and some duct tape. Then we oil the blades as per the instructions, plug in the Robocut and the vacuum, and try out the system.

The results are amazing. After reading the manual and a little practice, we get haircuts that are entirely satisfactory.

My son, who's especially keen on his appearance, is very satisfied with the results.

Our first haircuts result in positive feedback from a few of the women that we encounter on the next day.

But the best part is that after a few haircuts, the Robocut has paid for itself.

This is a huge relief: first, that one no longer has to pay twenty dollars to a barber or stylist who does not bother to listen to what you tell him, and second, that one is not further obligated to tip him a few bucks for the privilege of doing so.

So if you are tired of paying too much for mediocre haircuts, or if you have a kid who needs a haircut now and then, consider investing in a Robocut.

The Robocut can be found on Amazon.com or at the Robocut web site.

The universal tool adapter can also be ordered from Amazon.

Last edited:

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I use a Wahl barber's buzz cutter on my, and the kids', heads. No attachment for me, and 8 on top and 7 sides and back for the boys. No muss, no fuss, same blades for years with regular oiling. Quick sweep up off the bare bathroom floor. And Wahl buzzers are HEAVY duty, as barbers have the same ones for years.

Just another option.

green papaya

One Too Many
I have the Oster Original Classic 76 Hair Clipper with 10 different sized guards

my family cuts my hair at home anytime I need a trim *FREE* I also give other family members FREE cuts

saves lots of time & money, I havent been to a barbershop in 10 years

Corky

Practically Family
No pics, but three people in our family are using it for haircuts.

The duct tape keeps the small hose (from the Robocut) solidly attached via the adapter to the big hose (from the Shop Vac). The duct tape can function as a universal adapter by itself, but I find it easier to use the tape to keep the smaller hose attached to the adapter.

There's a saying to the effect that a good haircut on a woman is one that gets noticed, but a good haircut on a man is one that nobody notices (except, of course, for the positive comments from the women cited above).

Last edited:
I also have a Wahl electric clipper I bought a number of years ago. They tend to come out at Christmas time at the Sears. It came with a whole series of those height guides and works really well once you get the hang of it although the back of my head is the toughest part to work on. Short buzz for the hot weather and longer for the cooler weather.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran