Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to care for....your handbag

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I love good tips on how to keep things looking their best. This magazine article I found will hopefully give the rest of you some good advice!
Interiors
Many bags are lined with canvas, nylon, or pig suede. To clean, gently pull the interior inside out and use a standard lint roller to pick up debris. Or try the fabric-brush attachment on your vaccum.
Zippers
Keep these fasteners working smoothly by running a piece of natural beeswax (found in hardware stores) over a zipper's open teeth.
Handles and straps
Residue from lotions can discolor and age material-another good reason to keep hands clean. Also, don't overstuff a bag; too much weight can weaken stitching or damage straps.
Hardware
Deep scratches or cracks on metal are virtually impossible to repair. But bag and shoe repair shops can replate hardware to hide finer flaws.
Exterior
Leather, of course is a skin, so keep it happy and moisturized with a leather conditioning cream. There's no reason to treat it with a protectant or a silicone spray. Caught in the rain? Run for cover, then dab-don't wipe-moisture away.
Bottoms
Structured bags with stiff bottoms often have 'feet' (metal rivets incorporated into the base) to protect the leather against scratches and stains. Feet can also be added by a professional.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Care...

Help keep your much loved luxury investment looking and feeling new with these easy, at-home techniques
Alligator; Keep your alligator or crocidile bag supple by applying a leather conditioner (like apple brand). Use a soft, lint-free fabric like a sheepskin knit (found in shoe repair shops) and test conditioner in an inconspicous place before using all over.
Suede; A suede brush can do wonders, but for serious stains, it's best to see a pro. When storing, wrap leather handles or straps in cloth so they don't rest against the suede and leave blotches.
Fabric; Cloth bags attract dust, so when you're done using a bag for the season, give it a light dusting with a lint roller before storing covered. For deeper stains or markings, take to a repair shop.
Snakeskin; Experts warn against using any type of product on snakeskin, which is quite fragile. Over time, scales will begin to lift. When that happens, you can have the bag laquered, but the treatment may change the appearance of the scales.
Patent leather; Seperate light patent leathers from darker hued bags to avoid discoloration. To clean, take a piece fo cheesecloth, dampen with a bit of white vinegar and rub. Wipe off with a clean piece of fabric.

The Shirt

Practically Family
I love this - thank you for posting. I always have trouble with my patent leather bags. A few are starting to crack unfortunately and I'd like to stop the process before it gets too bad.

Speaking of damage - I often pick up bags that the handles are damaged, cracking etc. Has anyone replaced their handles or is that a no-no in your minds? Some of the bags I am talking of - were not necessarily highly valuable to begin with. I'd be apt to say I wouldn't replace a handle on an extremely rare piece.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran