Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to get pale, luminous skin?

SugarKitten

One of the Regulars
Cherry Lips, I do have acne, but I guess it's a matter of perspective. I was really turned off the medical route of doing anything about it because the nearest dermatologist was like "Oh, I've seen worse." = the least helpful response ever. He pretty much told me that unless I was willing to go back on antibiotics he wasn't going to do anything more (the pills made me sick, I'd rather be spotty, thanks)

I generally have a heap of unhappy areas that aren't really spots yet, and one or two bad spots, and that's with great effort. I never had perfect skin as a teen, but it was miles better than this.

The scars a mostly what I see, they aren't huge, like the kind a doctor could fix (boxcar, icepick, etc) but it gives my skin a very uneven look (sandpapery/rough), and discoloration. I'm not much for everyday makeup, and for the first time in ages I see my reflection and don't zoom right in on how many spots I can see!

I hope it does everything for you it did for me Cherry Lips! One heads up, don't put it over your brows, it seems to lighten them too... I'm learning by doing here!

Sylvanrealm you're a life saver!

Marla

A-List Customer
I can't wait to try this! I have pale skin but a few faint scars from past acne. I'd certainly like for those to not be visible anymore so I can leave the house without foundation once in a while.

TillyMilly

One of the Regulars
I have extreamly pale skin - what my Mother has always termed 'Snow white skin' and I like to look after it. A few years a go I wore glasses and found that the sun would shine through the glasses and burn my cheeknones so i ended up with brown patches which looked like black eyes. I have been bleaching them out for a while now and I got laser surgery to do away with those glasses.

On a daily basis i use MAC NC15 (for pink undertones)studio finish foundation blended with thier white face and body foundation. I use either thier white setting poweder or the rose setting powder to set. Both are pro- products. Sometimes I use the stick foundation in NC15 (about to be discountuned)

I have looked for Nicola robets line Dainty Doll and I can only find concealer or eye base on Asos. I don't think the line took off.

TillyMilly

One of the Regulars
Miss Hannah- Thanks for that. I went to Debenhamd last night as they supposedly stock the brand but they had never heard of it. I will check it out in the Manchester Branch though.

I ended up picking up some Loreal True match in Ivory as i heard Dita usses this. and I got soem powder in Ivory rose. Both products had a nicer consistency and were paler than my more expensive MAC alternatives, which was suprising.

miserabelle

One of the Regulars
Tishkaminx said:
I have extreamly pale skin - what my Mother has always termed 'Snow white skin' and I like to look after it. A few years a go I wore glasses and found that the sun would shine through the glasses and burn my cheeknones so i ended up with brown patches which looked like black eyes. I have been bleaching them out for a while now and I got laser surgery to do away with those glasses.

On a daily basis i use MAC NC15 (for pink undertones)studio finish foundation blended with thier white face and body foundation. I use either thier white setting poweder or the rose setting powder to set. Both are pro- products. Sometimes I use the stick foundation in NC15 (about to be discountuned)

I have looked for Nicola robets line Dainty Doll and I can only find concealer or eye base on Asos. I don't think the line took off.
I got mine from ASOS a while ago... just looked and they don't have it any more which is pretty disappointing - I did to be honest find it a little dry though. Try Loreal's true match range, I bought a really nice pale rosey-coloured foundation for £9.99 from Boots which was a really good match.

Lush have just brought out some foundations, I bought one yesterday... well, I tried to buy one - the sales assistant put the wrong colour in my bag by accident... but the sample I tried was lovely - they're tints, you can use them quite heavily, but the idea is that you use it as a tinted moisturiser, so you can mix up what consistency you like, and it also means that you can use the right moisturiser for your skin type. The colours are light yellow, dark yellow, light pink and dark pink... really nice texture! When I get the right colour I'll let you know how it goes!

xx

Antje

One Too Many
I recently started with some eventone products from palmers.
It will brighten your complexion a bit, it will fade freckles and acne scars.

I take of my make-up with plain jojabo oil, then scrub my face with a cottonball drenced in lemonjuice and a little sugar,
then wash my face with palmers eventone soap, and then I moisturize with palmers eventone fade cream.

within 6 weeks I have to see results, I hope so, I've been using this for about 4 days now.

jillybeanlynn

Familiar Face
Hello all. I've been a longtime lurker on here - have learned a lot from you ladies, so thank you. This topic got me wanting to post and share, so now I've finally joined. ::happy dance::

Pale luminous skin, eh? Well, to give a bit of perspective, I'm Filipino so I'm never gonna get the Dita look, but I can kind of understand the desire to look like that. It's one form of beauty I can appreciate.

[And as a side note about the "western look" topic, I think part of it is also that people who get to live a leisurely lifestyle tend to be considered attractive, culturally speaking and throughout history. Being pale = not having to work the rice paddies. Being voluptuous = having the luxury of eating cake when others starve. Being tan = rich to the point of gallivanting off to Cannes on a boat whenever you want, like Coco Chanel.]

I've spent many many years since my teens using lightening products on my skin. Murad, Shiseido, crazy asian bleaching things, and prescription strength creams with hydroquinone [which the FDA now tells me could cause cancer]. Did all this partially to lighten my skin - I was a beach and water baby so I was quite dark for a Filipino. Also wanted to get rid of the chicken pox scars I have.

After all this, I've noticed a trend of compliments about how my skin has such a healthy glow. I always thought that people were just being nice to me because they noticed how hard I work to maintain my makeup. But it turns out, hundreds of dollars in cosmetics later, that the keys to pale-ish luminous skin, that actually looks like my skin in person and not just in slightly blurry pictures, are the following:

1.] Drink lots of water. 8 glasses a day.
2.] Moderate everything in your diet. All is good, so long as you don't ingest too much of any one thing. This includes meats, fats, sugars, alcohol, etc.
3.] Quit smoking.
4.] Sunscreen always and moderate your sunlight exposure. Rule of thumb is if you will be in the sun for more than 20 minutes during the day, you need sunscreen. Much longer? Then reapply as needed.
5.] Proper makeup application and maintenance during the day.
6.] Exfoliate exfoliate exfoliate.

I added #2 in there mostly because lately the compliments have skyrocketed. I readjusted my diet about a year ago to cut down on meat and up the vegetable intake. And I'm coming off an Ayurvedic cleanse, the halfway point of which coincided with strangers coming up to me in Sephora to ask me what I do to my skin. After years of trying to figure out what would work my skin the way I want, it feels good to finally have found the answer. "Be healthy!" ::smacks forehead::

This post is long enough as it is, so I do apologize about typing your ear off, but since this thread is centered around makeup, here's a quick rundown of my regime:

1.] Cetaphil in the AM
2.] Water-based moisturizer - Neutrogena oil-free
3.] Smashbox primer with SPF
4.] NARS matte sheer water-based foundation, applied with a stipple brush
5.] Kevyn Aucoin skin enhancer concealer - oil-based so it's important that this goes on last, before powder, because to layer it between water-based products will make the makeup slide around and get cakey
6.] Make Up For Ever HD microfinish powder
7.] Blush, eyes, lips, etc…Ben Nye or plain water finishing spray to set it
8.] Pond's cold cream to remove the makeup - massage and let it sink in, a warm-to-hot towel laid on top to open pores for bit and then wipe it off - using the clean side to exfoliate my face
9.] Olay Regenerist overnight.

Okay, I should wrap this up. Thanks for reading the newbie's really long first post! I hope it was helpful.

Off to read more threads… :-D

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
I just wanted to post about a product I found at Holland & Barratt which may be of interest to the ladies in pursuit of the Dita Complexion. It's called Dr. Organic Skin Whitening Cream.

I've only just plunked down my tenner and started using it a couple of days ago, so all I can really say about it as yet is that it has a lovely scent and is absorbed quickly. I really do like the idea that it is composed of organic ingredients with none of the usual scary things, and above all is vegetarian (not vegan, tho, unfortunately) and not tested on animals.

Hope this is of interest!

tammylynn70

New in Town
I have been using commercial products for the last two years, mainly on my face as I have a large age spot on one cheek and some hyperpigmentation (brown spots) from using birth control pills for so many years. Recently I started to try and fade sun damage and big freckles on my shoulders. There was a lightener sold at Sally Beauty that worked well but they discontinued it. The Palmer's and other things I have tried with hydroquinone worked but took a long time for any effects to show. There's a local beauty supply shop near my house that has several products for face and body lightening. I plan on picking up one brand at a time to see what works. I live in Florida and have been fairly diligent in applying sunblock on a regular basis, as I have skin that burns first. I'll post to let you know if I find anything that works. If I had the resources, I would definitely be going for laser treatments instead!

pompsnpincurls

Familiar Face
I've heard good things about lemon juice!! I haven't tried yet, but will soon. It is supposed to work really well at fading acne marks and evening out skin tone, and I also heard that if you have a tan it breaks it down and fades it. I'm not sure how effective that would be for lightening your tone, considering you do use sun block, but if it lightens tans it could work for you :). I'd say give it a try, because even if it doesn't lighten your skin, it's a natural exfoliator and is said to work for skin tone. I got the information from http://www.acne.org/lemon-juice-applied-topically-reviews/73/page1.html

It says to squeeze the lemon juice from a fresh lemon, apply all over skin at night, and leave it on while you sleep. And then follow your normal morning skin routine.

~Kate~

New in Town
I discovered what works best for my skin is using a paste (made of baking soda, lavender oil and peppermint oil) to cleanse my face morning and night, with the occasional use of vinegar at night to balance the PH. It has greatly improved my skin. I also use MAC NC15 foundation and follow that by a dusting of cornstarch. No powder I have ever tried works as well as corn starch. It definitely emphasises my paleness, although I need some blush for a bit of colour :)

ahasegawa

New in Town
Hey gals! first time post here ^^;;

Since I am on a quest to always look as pale as possible (FINALLY SOMEONE UNDERSTANDS ME!) There are a couple things I have tried that havent been mentioned.

-Likas Papaya Soap: Papaya has a natural herb that lightens and evens the skin tone. You can find it at a local Philapeano (sp?) store and they should stock it. its veryyy popular. I used it and it really good just make sure to moisturize!

- Also, I make a mask of yogurt, honey, and lemon! I leave it on my face for about 15-30 minutes and it leaves my skin so soft and clears up my acne. I need to use it longer to see about how well it actually whitens

TillyMilly

One of the Regulars
Pinapple juice should work too- its the enzymes. I heard on QI that people who work in pinapple factories have no fingerprints as the pinapple juice errodes them!

pompsnpincurls

Familiar Face
I wouldn't recommend lime juice!

Lime juice wouldn't have the same effect, would it?

On one of those "health episodes" on a talk show or on the news, I heard something about exposure of skin to lime juice can cause a skin condition. I did a little research and found this site: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2094864/ . It looks like it will break you out into a severe rash if you go into the sun after applying it, because it makes your skin hypersensitive to sunburn. I think there was also something else that can happen to your skin with constant contact to lime juice, but I will have to keep looking for it.

Hope this helps :).

beth

Familiar Face
On one of those "health episodes" on a talk show or on the news, I heard something about exposure of skin to lime juice can cause a skin condition. I did a little research and found this site: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2094864/ . It looks like it will break you out into a severe rash if you go into the sun after applying it, because it makes your skin hypersensitive to sunburn. I think there was also something else that can happen to your skin with constant contact to lime juice, but I will have to keep looking for it.

Hope this helps :).

Ah! I'm so glad I know that, and hadn't tried lime juice yet. That helps a lot. :)

calendargirl

New in Town
So after doing a little research I've found a few good tips from Dita Von Teese.

1. She uses L'oreal True Match in N1 and Mac Mineralize powder on top.
http://twitter.com/DitaVonTeese/status/3744971702

2. She also uses Mac Prep & Prime.
http://www.bellasugar.com/Dita-Von-Teese-Glamour-vs-Beauty-659122

I don't know if that's helpful to anyone.

I also read a few ladies had a problem finding a foundation that is a proper match for their alabaster skin tone. Anyways, Ulta sells Exuviance Skin Caring Foundation which is a product of CoverBlend, it has medium coverage that dries matte but more importantly it has a shade called Ivory that I can assure you is something of a misnomer seeing as it is a very pale, light pink.
http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/pro...13731&productId=236&navAction=push&navCount=1

I Adore Film Noir

A-List Customer
So after doing a little research I've found a few good tips from Dita Von Teese.

1. She uses L'oreal True Match in N1 and Mac Mineralize powder on top.
http://twitter.com/DitaVonTeese/status/3744971702

2. She also uses Mac Prep & Prime.
http://www.bellasugar.com/Dita-Von-Teese-Glamour-vs-Beauty-659122

I don't know if that's helpful to anyone.

I also read a few ladies had a problem finding a foundation that is a proper match for their alabaster skin tone. Anyways, Ulta sells Exuviance Skin Caring Foundation which is a product of CoverBlend, it has medium coverage that dries matte but more importantly it has a shade called Ivory that I can assure you is something of a misnomer seeing as it is a very pale, light pink.
http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/pro...13731&productId=236&navAction=push&navCount=1

Oh, boy, I use the same True Match color. Over it I use Physician's Formula Multi-Colored Pressed Powder in Translucent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner