Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to get pale, luminous skin?

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Hello dolls!

This is my very first post here! I have searched the forums as good as I could, but couldn't find answers to this, if I have overlooked them, I apoligize in advance.

My skintone is just a little lighter than medium, far from 'Dita'-pale and with a yellow undertone. I have always used daily moisturizers and/or foundations with a minimum of spf15 and much higher in the summertime, so I am okay covered there. I would really like to get fine, pale porcelain skin - I have admired Dita von Teese's skin for a long time, she is so pale but never ever seems pasty or sickly.

So here's my questions :

Is it even possible for me to get my skin lighter without dangerous effects? Are there really some good lightening/brightening potions and lotions outthere?

for girls outthere with yellow undertones, what products do you use to get luminous and pale skin?

any other tips would be greatly appreciated! :)

On another note - all you lovely misses look SO good! You all have your own signature looks and it works!

(oh and one last thing - I apologize for any missspellings in advance, I am from Denmark, living in Sweden, so English isn't my first language, so bare with me)

Mai - Darhling!

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
I really, really don't recommend bleaching it.

Powdering your skin might make it a little more pale. Using face powder, definitely -- but use a little blush so you don't look sickly. For dusting, use cornstarch. Ladies used to (and still do) use talc, but it has been linked to cancer. Cornstarch has the same absorbant, silky properties without the cancer. ;)

Edit:
One product I really, really like is a powder from the mineral makeup brand Larenim. It's called "Pallor." It's from their "goth" collection, and contains a slight bluish cast that might neutralize your yellow undertones. I use it occasionally, and love it! I found it on sale for half off.

D

Deleted member 3716

i know there are green (yikes) based moisturisers that you use underneath your foundation for skin with red tones.
i think there is an equivalent for yellow tones - its a violet/blue colour i think...

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
paula said:
i know there are green (yikes) based moisturisers that you use underneath your foundation for skin with red tones.
i think there is an equivalent for yellow tones - its a violet/blue colour i think...

Yes, DHC makes a great one called Q10 Moist Color Base that works well, but I don't see one for neutralizing yellow. These products are very popular now and work well - MAC makes them, and if you want one that's incredibly effective, go for the Joe Blasco neutralizer. It is a heavy neutralizer from a makeup brand often used on models, so when I use mine, I don't have to use any foundation, as the Blasco neutralizer gives all the coverage I need.

I really don't know much about skin lighteners, but I've never heard of them working that well. There's only so much one can do to counteract what nature gave them. Besides, do you lighten your face and leave the rest of your body another color?

Miss Brill

One Too Many
Use plain yogurt as a mask--the acids will bleach skin a little, as will adding milk to your bath water. Lemons lighten elbows, but it is probably too drying for the face. You could also try natural or store-bought alpha hydroxy acids. I've never had any luck with fade creams, and they are said to cause cancer anyway.

Sunscreen is probably the most important thing you could use to keep skin looking light, plus it makes your skin look whiter in photos.

Sylvanrealm

New in Town
Lightening Recipes

I used to want super pale skin. Mine is already pretty darn light, but not moon pale. I've seen a few girls with that kind of pale, and most have said that they use SPF 55 all over and stay out of the sun -- they also use a parasol when they have to walk around outside.
I can't use such a high SPF because it makes my skin break out, so a few years ago I looked for recipes for make-it-at-home skin lighteners. This is what I used for about 6-8 months, 2 times per day, every day.

These measurements are not exact (but they don't need to be) and you may have to look up equivilants in grams/oz...

1 & 1/4 Tbs. lemon juice (not concentrate!)
1 Tbs. honey
1 Tbs. Acidophilus (yogurt culture, which is very good to drink. you can probably find it in health food stores)
1/3 cup dry milk (the powder in the box)
1/4 tsp. ground cloves

Spread over face and leave on for 30 minutes. If it really burns, wash off. It may tingle a little -- thats fine. It's not fine if it hurts, though. Use a little less lemon and try again.

This mix will likely last you 6-8 uses or 3-4 days, used twice per day.
If you cannot find Acidophilus, just use 1 Tbs. yogurt and use 1/4 cup dry milk insted of 1/3 cup. Make sure to refrigerate this and put a cover on top of it!

This mix did make my skin a few shades paler after a few months of use, however, because I used only SPF 12 and was out in the sun an hour or two a day, I got new small freckles. So I stopped. But if you use a much higher SPF and try to stay out of the sun most of the time, it should not be a problem.

As a side note, using this mix almost erased my pores and got rid of any pesky acne. Seriously the best skin potion I've ever used (except for those darn freckles, which were really tiny anyway).

Lastly, here is a great site the gives many other recipes for at-home skin lighteners:

http://www.geocities.com/rainforest/vines/2010/gawthpallor.html

Hope one works for you!

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Please note that -nothing- will erase the darkness of underlying skin's natural tone except for -very- strong chemicals....and seriously...you dont really want to look like michael jackson do you?

All of the 'home remedies' and so forth and even mild over the counter products, remove what is in essence sun damage and uneven coloration.

If you are using sunscreen and your skin is a paler shade of you already......then not much is going to change your natural tones.

Blondie

Practically Family
i would say it has a lot to do with your foundation/primer/powder ,
use a blue based primer, i am thinking that Make Up Forever maybe makes one,
if you wear a matte foundation your skin will look flat,
so go for something like the moistureblend that MAC makes,
your skin will look a little dewy then,
and try a powder that has luminescent qualities like OptiLusion by Laura Geller, those products ( except Mac) are available at Sephora
I would go in and talk to a MUA there and get them to do a make up for you before you buy anything.

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Pretty much every post listed above mine is better than my recommendation, but...rice powder. It doesn't look very good though, unless you find the right brand. Cheap stuff in drugstores, expensive stuff at cosmetic counters. Never worked for me, and if I find mine, you can have it if you want it.

Vintage Betty

pennyseranade

One of the Regulars
Darhling,

Miss Neecerie is right in that it takes harsh chemicals to lighten beyond the skin tone you were born with. What you can do is reverse some of the uneven tones and discolorations caused by sun damage. There is some information on this site in regards to brightening your skin. Scroll down it will give you some ideas as far as ingredients that will help.

http://www.skinactives.com/products/brightening.htm

Good luck.

fifties gal

New in Town
You might want to try using baby powder. Recently I took off a "mental health" day from work and not wanting to look too robust the next day, when I returned to the salt mine, I dusted a little baby powder on my face. Several people commented on how "pale" I looked after my illness.

leaette

A-List Customer
i have very fair skin. and i like to keep it that way, so i just stay out of the sun. wear sunscreen on my face, and wear hats in the summer.

i think it's all just a matter of what mother nature gave you.

Blondie

Practically Family
fifties gal said:
You might want to try using baby powder. Recently I took off a "mental health" day from work and not wanting to look too robust the next day, when I returned to the salt mine, I dusted a little baby powder on my face. Several people commented on how "pale" I looked after my illness.
Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, how funny ! lol

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Thank you all so much!

I hope I didn't give the impression that I would use harmfull ways to get my skin paler - but since I am a complete novice on the subject, I have for the last 8 years self tanned a little and tanned in the summer, so I thought that there might be 'selfpaling' product outthere that was acceptable.

Thank you all for your suggestions, I am going to step up on my daily spf, hopefully finding one that looks good under foundation/powder.

Gluegungeisha - you look absolutely stunning in your pic!

NoirDame

One of the Regulars
Sylvanrealm said:
I used to want super pale skin. Mine is already pretty darn light, but not moon pale. I've seen a few girls with that kind of pale, and most have said that they use SPF 55 all over and stay out of the sun -- they also use a parasol when they have to walk around outside. Hope one works for you!

That's right! I avoid the sun like it's evil. Seriously, I am so pale that in the time it takes me to drive 15 minutes/one exit, my forearms will already be bright pink and quite warm to the touch.

I also get sun poisioning.

I also work for a luxury cosmetics company that does not make foundation light enough for me.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Nashoba said:
I havn't got a prayer for pale skin lol...waaaay too much American Indian and Italian in me. I so much as look at the sun in the summer and I tan lol

Is that you in your avatar? if so, then you are stunning! I love the look wit the satin gloves and the salute!!

SarahLouise

Practically Family
As mentioned by numerous other girls, I definitely would not bleach your skin or use any other harsh chemicals as the after effects would not be worth it. The problem with wearing lighter foundation/powder is that your neck would be a different colour! I can see see why the porcelain look appeals to many but I would honestly try to accept what skin tone you have and just work with it, not against it. Quite obvious and easier said then done, I realise, but just my opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo