Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to get pale, luminous skin?

ginny

Familiar Face
katiemakeup said:
DDF has a GREAT sunscreen!! It's almost like a matte moisturizer. I found it at Sephora.

Also, the Shiseido Ultimate Sunscreen SPF 55 is very mattifying and also whitening on less-than-milky skintones. It wears very well, even on oily skin.

Here's Dita sans makeup. She's pale, though you can just barely see her freckles.

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
ginny said:
Also, the Shiseido Ultimate Sunscreen SPF 55 is very mattifying and also whitening on less-than-milky skintones. It wears very well, even on oily skin.

Here's Dita sans makeup. She's pale, though you can just barely see her freckles.

I'm pretty sure she's wearing minimal makeup. Still, lovely skin!

Real Swell Gal

One of the Regulars
ginny said:
A cheap, easy and effective way to add some luminosity to your skin is Coty Airspun Luminous Translucent powder. I mix a small amount with my regular Coty powder, or whatever powder I'm currently using. I think using it full strength is too strong for daytime, but for nights out, in softer or dimmer lighting, it's probably good. This is a great powder that is not glittery at all, really does give a more luminous, almost dewy look. Good for using with those matte makeups that oily gals need.
Oh, and about the talc: I believe that using it in makeup is safe, it's the levels that people who work with it could breathe in, if not using protective gear, that are dangerous. Remember, "the dose makes the poison." Even water can kill you if you drink too much!
I use Coty Airspun too and Max Factor Pan Cake.
<~~~~And look at me I don't have to avoid the sun, I'm always this brown.

Oh and another thing, What is the BIG DEAL about Dita Von Teese?

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
And to think -- I've spent my life wishing I had olive or mocha skin.

For we palefaces, I can only say, to have and keep that pale and luminous skin, stay out of the sun and never grow old.

karol

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A story

I used to be even paler when I lived in San Francisco, in a neighborhood (the Haight Ashbury) that got mostly fog every day.
On my way to work one morning, a nice looking young black man in a suit said "Excuse, me, may I ask you a question?" I thought he was going to pitch religion or something, so I was polite and said yes, and then he asked, "Why do you wear all that white shit all over your face?". And I wasn't even wearing powder!
Can you imagine his reaction if I had asked him why he wore all that black shit all over his face? I would be arrested of a hate crime or something!
I always find it amazing that in this day and age, when we are exposed to images of humanity in all its multiple shades, that people still give anyone a hard time about being pale!

Real Swell Gal

One of the Regulars
I would have asked him that but then again people tell me I have big cajones anyway.
I mean really! What a thing to ask!

ginny

Familiar Face
Miss 1929 said:
I used to be even paler when I lived in San Francisco, in a neighborhood (the Haight Ashbury) that got mostly fog every day.
On my way to work one morning, a nice looking young black man in a suit said "Excuse, me, may I ask you a question?" I thought he was going to pitch religion or something, so I was polite and said yes, and then he asked, "Why do you wear all that white shit all over your face?". And I wasn't even wearing powder!
Can you imagine his reaction if I had asked him why he wore all that black shit all over his face? I would be arrested of a hate crime or something!
I always find it amazing that in this day and age, when we are exposed to images of humanity in all its multiple shades, that people still give anyone a hard time about being pale!

Wow, so rude! It's unbelievable how people feel the need to comment on the looks of complete strangers.
The best response would have been, "What white shit, you mean my skin? I guess I wear it for the same reason you wear that brown shit on your face!" LOL!
My niece is biracial, and I have to say, I'm so glad that the tide seems to be turning more lately, especially with the younger generations that include many more "mixed race" families and kids. It's becoming more complicated in some ways, and yet better for it. It's getting harder to label and pigeon-hole people anymore, and the younger ones are not as interested in doing that anyway.

ginny

Familiar Face
gluegungeisha said:
I'm pretty sure she's wearing minimal makeup. Still, lovely skin!

Yes, I guess I meant without the usual makeup, LOL!

Real Swell Gal said:
I use Coty Airspun too and Max Factor Pan Cake.
<~~~~And look at me I don't have to avoid the sun, I'm always this brown.

Oh and another thing, What is the BIG DEAL about Dita Von Teese?

You have lovely skin! Lucky you, I am so pale, even though I'm a dark brunette, I burn easily and get melasma. I'm as pale as Dita, but she's a natural blonde! Because I'm a brunette, though, my undertones are slightly yellowish.
I think she just always makes a huge effort to go all-out with her look, and supposedly her burlesque shows are very good, if you are into that sort of thing. She's pretty much self-made, she created her own career, does her own makeup and hair, she and her best friend/business partner create and design her shows, she's very in-control of her own persona and career.

Real Swell Gal

One of the Regulars
There are alot of women that go all out for their careers everyday.
And plenty more that have that same very polished look that they've achieved themselves.
What I see are ladies comaparing themselves to a woman they'll never be.
It's like my daughters comparing themselves to Paris Hilton when they're actually better than her in more ways than one.
Dita is very pretty but really, she's nothing more than a glorified stripper named Heather.

ginny

Familiar Face
Real Swell Gal said:
There are alot of women that go all out for their careers everyday.
And plenty more that have that same very polished look that they've achieved themselves.
What I see are ladies comaparing themselves to a woman they'll never be.
It's like my daughters comparing themselves to Paris Hilton when they're actually better than her in more ways than one.
Dita is very pretty but really, she's nothing more than a glorified stripper named Heather.

Oh, I don't want to be Dita, lol ! And the way young girls idolize these messed-up celebrities and socialites is very worrisome. (Though, I remember thinking alot of Madonna in her early, bra-on-the-outside wearing days, shhhhhhhh !) But, being tan year-round has been such a social-status symbol for so long that I think alot of us ghostly-pale gals like to see a "luminous pale" woman admired as beautiful for once, rather than sickly or whatever. I'm a tanning-salon virgin, and I've always been made fun of for my pale skin, expecially by my sun-loving sisters!
As another example: I remember when Kate Moss (another one who has been a mess on occasions) first burst on the modeling scene. She was (and still is) criticized for her skinny body, but all I thought was "Finally, a small-busted model who didn't get implants!" Being very, very small-busted myself, and refusing to wear falsies, wonderbras, etc. (and would never get implants!), I actually admired Kate Moss for quite awhile. She was accepting her body and making money from it in a large-bust-obsessed profession, to boot!

Hmmm, I don't see Dita as just another stripper. I guess I don't have a problem with what she does. I guess it was racy in it's time, but today, it seems like a fairly modest form of a high-glamour, provocative strip show. To each their own. lol

Smuterella

One Too Many
ginny said:
Oh, I don't want to be Dita, lol ! And the way young girls idolize these messed-up celebrities and socialites is very worrisome. (Though, I remember thinking alot of Madonna in her early, bra-on-the-outside wearing days, shhhhhhhh !) But, being tan year-round has been such a social-status symbol for so long that I think alot of us ghostly-pale gals like to see a "luminous pale" woman admired as beautiful for once, rather than sickly or whatever. I'm a tanning-salon virgin, and I've always been made fun of for my pale skin, expecially by my sun-loving sisters!
As another example: I remember when Kate Moss (another one who has been a mess on occasions) first burst on the modeling scene. She was (and still is) criticized for her skinny body, but all I thought was "Finally, a small-busted model who didn't get implants!" Being very, very small-busted myself, and refusing to wear falsies, wonderbras, etc. (and would never get implants!), I actually admired Kate Moss for quite awhile. She was accepting her body and making money from it in a large-bust-obsessed profession, to boot!

Hmmm, I don't see Dita as just another stripper. I guess I don't have a problem with what she does. I guess it was racy in it's time, but today, it seems like a fairly modest form of a high-glamour, provocative strip show. To each their own. lol

Hear hear! I'm not a Dita fan but lets have less of the judgemental "glorified stripper" comments!

i_am_the_scruff

A-List Customer
ginny said:

Modeling isn't bust obsessed at all. Atleast not fashion modelling. Glamour modelling yes, but that's not what Kate Moss does. I don't know of any high fashion models that got implants. I'm sure there are some but I don't know of them. High fashion modelling is all about the bean pole look.

Anywho, I'm pale-ish. To look at me I don't look that pale, but in summer time if i'm with or around people that are tanned you can notice it quite a bit.
I don't like to sunbathe or be tanned. Nothing to do with a pale vintage look or anything though.
I'd like a light powder. I don't use powder that much but when I do I think i'd prefer one that's translucent and light.

Real Swell Gal

One of the Regulars
Smuterella said:
Hear hear! I'm not a Dita fan but lets have less of the judgemental "glorified stripper" comments!
Wasn't being judgemental. I was being truthful. Why is she so great for being a stripper? There are millions of them around the world. Some still doing burlesque and doing it longer and just as well if not better than her. And that is the only thing she's famous for. That and being married to Marilyn Manson (eeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwww!!). Big deal.
I can just think of a million other women I'd rather admire for what they do.

Smuterella

One Too Many
Real Swell Gal said:
Wasn't being judgemental. I was being truthful. Why is she so great for being a stripper? There are millions of them around the world. Some still doing burlesque and doing it longer and just as well if not better than her. And that is the only thing she's famous for. That and being married to Marilyn Manson (eeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwww!!). Big deal.
I can just think of a million other women I'd rather admire for what they do.

she isn't great for being a stripper, she is however a very successful woman, regardless of how she got there. She has made something of herself and whether that be through stripping or something else its still to be admired surely. she has actually worked her way to fame and success as opposed to being born to it or though some kind of reality TV infamy. OK, that work involves showing her body, but so what, she works hard on the look, the body and the routines and I certainly admire that effort.

also, all kudos to someone who can take their clothes off and still be classy

*shrug*

Smuterella

One Too Many
Oh, I'm not having a go at you, by the way. It was just that the term "glorified stripper" made it sound like you thought there was something wrong with stripping as a career. i don't think there is.

*shrug 2*

ginny

Familiar Face
i_am_the_scruff said:
Modeling isn't bust obsessed at all. Atleast not fashion modelling. Glamour modelling yes, but that's not what Kate Moss does. I don't know of any high fashion models that got implants. I'm sure there are some but I don't know of them. High fashion modelling is all about the bean pole look.

Was she a fashion model first? I first remember her being a sensation with the Calvin Klein ads. I don't think I knew the difference between the two types of models at the time. The "glamour" models were the more well-known, and more visible. When Kate burst on the scene for CK, she was much more visible than your average fashion model.

i_am_the_scruff said:
Anywho, I'm pale-ish. To look at me I don't look that pale, but in summer time if i'm with or around people that are tanned you can notice it quite a bit.
I don't like to sunbathe or be tanned. Nothing to do with a pale vintage look or anything though.
I'd like a light powder. I don't use powder that much but when I do I think i'd prefer one that's translucent and light.

I will fully admit, I first became obsessed with sun avoidance in my mid-teens, after seeing some famous dermatologist on the Today show, who said the single biggest cause of aging and wrinkles was the sun. And it's worse on us who are already pale! Plus, I'm just too lazy for those self-tanners, and too impatient.

I love all types of great skin, in all colors. I'm jealous of anyone with great skin, because mine is...not. lol

Real Swell Gal

One of the Regulars
I don't have a problem with stripping. I just think it's pathetic the way people idolise her when imo she hasn't done anything all that great.
If she had cured a disease or written a Pulitzer Prize winning novel that would be something.
She's also a PeTA spokesmodel which is another strike in my book.
I find most PeTA spokes people are as hypocritical as the organization itself but that's a whole other topic.
You ladies can admire whoever you want.:D

Oh, and Kate Moss has been around alot longer than her CK days.
I remember her from Seventeen when I was actually younger than that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany