Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to get that 'Tugboat'-shape

MattJH

One Too Many
Last night I was caught in a hailstorm wearing my Federation IV and ended up recreasing it. I hadn't seen this thread yet or ever heard of the term "tugboat" in regards to hat creasings, but I think that's exactly what I did. I'll post a picture tonight.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
The term must come from the gun'les of a typical tug, higher in front than in back.
tugboat.jpg

Gilgamark

A-List Customer
I wet the hat, put in a center bash to get my front and back at the right heights. I then push the center bash out into a C crown. After this, I measure how far back from the front that I want the peak, and then I use my fingers from beneath the crown to push the peak to the proper height. Than I make sure the lines are smooth. Of course, I measure all of my heights with a tape measure.

From reading these comments, I think I might do the tugboat a little differently than some others. On my Fed IV, the lowest point is the back (3 1/2"). Then the very front is 4". I raised the crown to 4 1/2" at the very back of the side pinches. Starting from the front, the crown rises to its highest point about two inches behind the front and then drops off to its lowest point at the back.

UWS Cowboy

One of the Regulars
I do this to all my hats. It's very easy. I still like to keep the back of the crown fairly high though. One of my hats I bashed so far down in the back that the teardrop was about two inches higher than the back of the crown. Created this bulbous shape that looked ridiculous.

kaosharper1

One Too Many
I do it the easy way. It always starts with a center crease with the front higher than the back. Then put in a crease cross ways where you want the widest part to be. Leave it like that and its essentially a diamond. Round it out for a c-crown. But also look at the profile and see if you want it to be a crescent, like the maltese falcon crease, or a sweep like Tom's Art Fawcett.

A lot depends upon the height of the crown. My Fed III with its 6" crown allows for a lot of angle to the rake. My Stratoliner, which is about 5 1/4" or so a lot less so. The higher crown also allows a bigger V in the front.

If you need the top to bump up, wet it and it'll push right up.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Fletch said:
The term must come from the gun'les of a typical tug, higher in front than in back. ...

Or just the lines of a tug in general.

I made a somewhat tonge-in-cheek reference to tugboats
here show casing some side shots of my Campdraft. It's a relatively tall hat.

hpim0616.jpg

christos-xviii.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
gtdean48 said:
Here is one of mine that is example of what Billy is talking about. The front V is actually past the verticle part of the crown. Hope it shows up in these pics...
PICT0042.jpg

PICT0044.jpg

That's exactly what I was looking for in my Open Road clone - your hats have a great look to them. I eventually gave up and had mine done by a professional, but look forward to trying the techniques mentioned here. BTW - one of my ancestors founded Hickory Flats in Cherokee County. I lived in Marietta for 12 years, but didn't find this out until I got to Seattle, so never visited there.

ScottF said:
....your hats have a great look to them. I eventually gave up and had mine done by a professional, but look forward to trying the techniques mentioned here. BTW - one of my ancestors founded Hickory Flats in Cherokee County. I lived in Marietta for 12 years, but didn't find this out until I got to Seattle, so never visited there.
Thanks Scott. Keep trying, it'll come to you if you just take your time & don't fret too much. You can always push back to open crown & start over, just don't do any real sharp pinches.
That is real cool. My folks settled Winder/Bethlehem area after Rev War. The family gave Fort Yargo State Park to the state of GA. Hickory Flat is REALY growing! I get out to Redmond every now & then to meet with Microsoft, just got of the phone with them...[huh]

CRH

Call Me a Cab
gtdean48 said:
...I get out to Redmond every now & then to meet with Microsoft, just got of the phone with them...[huh]

:eek:fftopic:
Cool :cool2: If you see Bill Gates give him a kick in the Kernel from me :rage:.

barrowjh

One Too Many
Rake

The terminology most often used here is 'rake' when talking about the front of the crown being higher than the back; sorta like some of our American hot rods had that large engine compartment and then 'raked' down towards the back. I think.

Gilgamark

A-List Customer
"Rake." Thanks. I never knew that is the name. I really enjoy learning new terminology.

Speaking of which, does anyone know the origin of "tugboat"? I read it somewhere, but I can't remember where.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I do it the opposite way of how some mentioned here.

After wetting the hat, I grab the front first and put the pinch into it, making it as high and tight as I want it. Then, while holding the pinch with one hand, start to push the top dent into it with the other, starting at the top/front, forming that Y shape. Then I continue towards the back, shaping as I go. For me, the front has got to be right, or close to it, before I continue with the rest of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran