Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How To Pull Off A Fedora/Trilby Dress Hat

Bird Lives

A-List Customer
That Mr. Roberts is one sharp dresser!!
Thank you Paul. Mostly all bargains from TJ Max and Marshalls. Lol.
I concur with the above sentiments....Bob in that Camp Draft is killin....somthing about a thin ribbon, and BR knows how to rock it!

A hat like that does require being comfortable in your own skin...and Bob definitely is....and when you are, they look fantastic.

A little about getting comfortable......I read an interview with the chick who played the original Miss Moneypenny in the Bond movies...She said the original director Terence Young (Dr.No, From Russia With Love, and Thunderball), was giving Connery lessons on being sophisticated...She said, Sean had all the physical aptitude to be Bond but was lacking in Sophistication...And Terence was like Mr. Sophistication. He would take Sean to dinner, how to order, eat, smoke....He also took Sean to his personal tailor Anthony Sinclair to have the whole Connery James Bond suit wardrobe made. And Terence could see that Sean did not look comfortable in these tailored suits, which were quite unlike anything Connery had worn before...So he told Sean to sleep in the suits and wear them while working in the yard etc. And Sean did just that, he slept in them from day one after getting them...and of course he made history on how to wear those suits...

I'm not suggesting you get a silverbelly Camp Draft and sleep in it....But I think you get the point...Wear it....wear it around the house, doing yard work, with jeans to the store, suits, etc, etc...First time you wear it in the rain, you will wonder how you ever got by without it....It won't take long....and a great hat will feel like you are not even wearing a hat after a few minutes...

Good luck....which hats have you now narrowed it down to ?....Don't think too much, you'll end up getting them all anyway.....lol!

Last edited:

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I concur with the above sentiments....Bob in that Camp Draft is killin....somthing about a thin ribbon, and BR knows how to rock it!

A hat like that does require being comfortable in your own skin...and Bob definitely is....and when you are, they look fantastic.

A little about getting comfortable......I read an interview with the chick who played the original Miss Moneypenny in the Bond movies...She said the original director Terence Young (Dr.No, From Russia With Love, and Thunderball), was giving Connery lessons on being sophisticated...She said, Sean had all the physical aptitude to be Bond but was lacking in Sophistication...And Terence was like Mr. Sophistication. He would take Sean to dinner, how to order, eat, smoke....He also took Sean to his personal tailor Anthony Sinclair to have the whole Connery James Bond suit wardrobe made. And Terence could see that Sean did not look comfortable in these tailored suits, which were quite unlike anything Connery had worn before...So he told Sean to sleep in the suits and wear them while working in the yard etc. And Sean did just that, he slept in them from day one after getting them...and of course he made history on how to wear those suits...

I'm not suggesting you get a silverbelly Camp Draft and sleep in it....But I think you get the point...Wear it....wear it around the house, doing yard work, with jeans to the store, suits....First time you wear it in the rain, you will wonder how you ever got by without it....It won't take long....and a great hat will feel like you are not even wearing a hat after a few minutes...

Good luck....which hats have you now narrowed it down to...Don't think too much, you'll end up getting them all anyway.....lol!
Shucks, Bird. Thats nice of you to say. I just wear 'em. Thanks.

Paul Trumbull

Familiar Face

I'm not suggesting you get a silverbelly Camp Draft and sleep in it....But I think you get the point...Wear it....wear it around the house, doing yard work, with jeans to the store, suits, etc, etc...First time you wear it in the rain, you will wonder how you ever got by without it....It won't take long....and a great hat will feel like you are not even wearing a hat after a few minutes...

Good luck....which hats have you now narrowed it down to ?....Don't think too much, you'll end up getting them all anyway.....lol!

I love this - thank you! You write very well by the way.

Paul Trumbull

Familiar Face

Also, any James Bond reference gets my immediate attention! Haha. I am even wearing James Bond's cologne today from Diamonds Are Forever - Geo F. Trumper Eucris.

Bird Lives

A-List Customer
Also, any James Bond reference gets my immediate attention! Haha. I am even wearing James Bond's cologne today from Diamonds Are Forever - Geo F. Trumper Eucris.
You know Connery always loved Guerlain's Jicky and Habit Rouge....I share his afinity for Habit Rouge but have never found any Jicky to try....I'm dying to, I hear it's one you never forget, you either can't live without it or you hate it, but you'll never forget it....}8^))

Paul Trumbull

Familiar Face
You know Connery always loved Guerlain's Jicky and Habit Rouge....I share his afinity for Habit Rouge but have never found any Jicky to try....I'm dying to, I hear it's one you never forget, you either can't live without it or you hate it, but you'll never forget it....}8^))
Damn, I need to find this now. I have a penchant for collecting colognes too!

Tedquinton

A-List Customer
I too was in my mid forties when I decided to start wearing a hat. I'd always loved the look, but like many others have described I was initially a little self conscious. However this feeling quickly passed, and it was only a matter of a few weeks later that on leaving home I had a feeling that I'd forgotten something. I checked my wallet, keys, mobile phone etc. All present, but the feeling wouldn't pass. What was it...? I decided to ignore it as I was in danger of missing my train, it was then that I realised my error - I'd left home bare headed. In such a short space of time it had become second nature. Now I never leave home without a hat!

I too was in my mid forties when I decided to start wearing a hat...
Same here; 47, actually. I've liked fedoras for as long as I can remember, but never had an opportunity to try one on to see how they'd look on me. When I saw Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull in 2008 I liked the hat(s) Ford wore in the movie, and decided to finally get one for myself and didn't particularly care how it looked. Then in January of 2013 I had a small amount of skin cancer removed from my nose, and decided hats would be my preferred method of sun protection since they would also keep my head dry during the rainy winter months. I'm still not sure they're the "right" hat for me, but I still don't care and I like wearing them, and that's good enough for me.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
An wise old Jesuit teacher once told me: Age Quod Agis....Do what you are doing. Do it with purpose, reason, confidence, but --do it. Wear your hat.
Wonderful quote. I teach college and am constantly assaulted with all of the cretinous modern ideas on education, usually from administrators who've never taught a class. How I wish I could give them one year of the Jesuits.

Paul Trumbull

Familiar Face
I finally ordered a new Akubra Fedora from The Hattery in Australia. I opted for the "Fedora" in burnt oak. They were so damn friendly, I almost felt an obligation to place the order after their returned my email. ;-) I asked if it was possible to twist any arms at Akubra and make the Fedora in silverbelly. No can do, apparently. The USD is pretty solid and I think the price of this was pretty fair at $130.00 with shipping. Now, I just hope Customs doesn't send me a bill. This happens occasionally when I order my Persols or my Oliver Peoples from Otticanet.com in Italy. I get my frames, and then a week later a $35 bill from Fed Ex. Has anyone had to pay customs when they ordered from The Hattery? They sent me a tracking number, but then a day later they said that they canceled that order as they saw a flaw on my hat and want me to LOVE my new Akubra, so they will be sending me the package again later this week when they get new stock. Excited to get my new hat!

I finally ordered a new Akubra Fedora from The Hattery in Australia. I opted for the "Fedora" in burnt oak. They were so damn friendly, I almost felt an obligation to place the order after their returned my email. ;-) I asked if it was possible to twist any arms at Akubra and make the Fedora in silverbelly. No can do, apparently. The USD is pretty solid and I think the price of this was pretty fair at $130.00 with shipping. Now, I just hope Customs doesn't send me a bill. This happens occasionally when I order my Persols or my Oliver Peoples from Otticanet.com in Italy. I get my frames, and then a week later a $35 bill from Fed Ex. Has anyone had to pay customs when they ordered from The Hattery? They sent me a tracking number, but then a day later they said that they canceled that order as they saw a flaw on my hat and want me to LOVE my new Akubra, so they will be sending me the package again later this week when they get new stock. Excited to get my new hat!

The Fedora was my first Akubra purchase. It's a great hat and I also got the burnt oak. A nice, deep and rich brown. I'm interested in hearing your report. My Fedora is very soft, much more of a dress weight and feel than my CD. You're gonna love it!

I live in Canada so this may not apply but....I only dinged with duty, brokerage, handling fees when the shipper uses FedEx or UPS never ever when I use Canada Post, regardless of the dollar value. With the couriers I don't get dinged every time but it happened enough that I no longer take that risk and insist on everything being sent by Post. In my experience your USPS and our Canada Post do a great job.....rain, hail, sleet and snow! And no, I am not a Postie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner