Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How To Pull Off A Fedora/Trilby Dress Hat

stratcat

One of the Regulars
Okay, I am all over the place...BUT...I think what I am also looking for is a super light beige or even silverbelly furfelt fedora...maybe a 2 1/4 inch or 2 3/8 inch brim...with that lapel cord. I think that's why I liked the Stratoliner...mostly the color - it was the brim that was just too big for my silly looking mug. I am sure there are a hundred or so pictures on here...but can anyone direct me to a product that fits what I am looking for?
I wouldn't get hung up on needing a wind trolley. If the hat fits well it's very unlikely to blow off your head. I've been out in some quite wild and windy weather and never lost my lid.

I think without going custom a silverbelly Stratoliner or Akubra Campdraft is possibly your best bet although the loungers who have bought from D'Aquino from Etsy have really liked their hats https://www.etsy.com/shop/DaquinoHa...campaign=us_location_buyer&utm_content=85386#
Their beige or Tan might be what you are after.
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/anyone-know-anything-about-this-hatmaker-daquino.79807/

From the outside, and measure both the front as well as the side. "Non-dimensional" brims are the same all around, but "Dimensional" are a bit less in the front/back than the sides, depending on the overall width. If a brim is too wide for you, it cam be trimmed to your liking. It's harder (impossible) to expand them, though.
Just to clarify, I believe he meant to type "'Dimensional' are a bit more in the front/back than the sides". That's the case with Akubra's Fed IV, the brim on which is approximately 1/4" wider on the front and back than it is on the sides.

Well, I got out my ruler, and checked a few brims. The ones that did vary from front to side were all a touch wider on the sides. Or was I mixed up on the terminology? I'm fraught with self-doubt...

This kind of controversy could cause riots here on the Lounge!! :eek:;)

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Paul, first, it's been my experience (and that of many other Loungers) that lower crowns and smaller brims (2 1/2" or less) look desirable when you first start wearing hats, but that after a short time they seem inadequate and you'll begin to want higher crowns and larger brims. Second, I've found that dimensional-brimmed hats don't look very different from non-dimensional brims when I'm wearing them.

Well, I got out my ruler, and checked a few brims. The ones that did vary from front to side were all a touch wider on the sides. Or was I mixed up on the terminology? I'm fraught with self-doubt...
Surely a "dimensional brim" can take on almost any dimensions the hatter/wearer desires?

...Second, I've found that dimensional-brimmed hats don't look very different from non-dimensional brims when I'm wearing them.
With most "dimensional brimmed" hats I think the actual difference is so minor that most people wouldn't notice. I mean, if it's that noticeable didn't the hatter get the concept wrong? :D

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
My dimensional brims are abt 1/4 inch longer front and back. I like to wear them snapped down as I believe they do look a bit awkward and out of proportion snapped up.

LeonardoDiSilvestre

New in Town
Once you start wearing it, all will make sense. At first if it feels unnatural, stick with it, the time will come when as if by magic it will feel like you have been wearing it your whole life. Dont worry it is a completely natural concern, most people have these sorts of worries especially when wearing something new for the first time, you are being overly self conscious. Trust in the undeniable style of the hat, you cannot look bad wearing a Fedora it is an impossibility. Believe me in time you will look back and laugh that you once had these misgivings.

LeonardoDiSilvestre

New in Town
This is the classic look for me
lowA9ov.jpg

MonavilleHatLady

New in Town
Hello fellow hat lovers. This is my first post. I am not sure if this topic was ever posted...it probably was, so please forgive me if you've heard all of this before. I am 47 and have wanted to wear a fedora since I have been 20. I never really did. I always felt silly - I know, it's my own problem...haha. A lot of you gents look GREAT by the way. Kudos. I have a black Dobbs Fifth Avenue. A Grey with black ribbon Fur Felt Stetson (when I was Frank Sinatra for a Halloween party), a fawn brown Biltmore. A charcoal grey Christy's fedora...a navy blue Christy's trilby...a few straw hats. I don't really wear any of these though. I want to though. I don't collect things to just collect them. The price of some fedoras are...crazy. Lock & Co. are gorgeous...but, $400 plus...I dunno. All I know what to look for is where these are made. I use the same logic with my baseball caps, suits, shoes: made in USA, England, Italy, Canada...you're probably getting a good quality product. Just recently I learned the difference between a Trilby and Fedora. They're all Fedoras, right? Trilby's just have shorter brims??

I really don't know how to wear one. I am not certain how to pull one off either. This is my problem. I use this as an illustration.... I have a pair of spectacular Allen Edmonds' spectators in walnut and white. I think a lot of men who like spectator shoes have a refined taste, and an adoration of things vintage. I don't see many men pulling these off well though. I think the way to pull off a spectator is to tone down EVERYTHING you're wearing. Solid color grey trousers. Solid shirt. Plain-ish tie. And there you go - you rock the hell out of these shoes. When you're wearing them with a chalk stripe suit...you look like you're in a costume. Just my two cents.

Not only do I still not know how to wear a Fedora/Trilby...I am not sure how it should sit. brim up or down? I think the brims up and the hat slightly tilted looks great, especially with my mug. I tried one on when I went to my parents, and they laughed at when I flipped the brim up...my dad said, "Well, Larry from the Three Stooges pulled that look off". I think he was serious. (smile). When I see old films, almost always in black and white, these guys look INCREDIBLE. James Stewart, Cary Grant, etc. When I google "Fedora" as an imagine search, I think most of these modern guys look...ridiculous - most of the time anyway. I once bought a Stetson Stratoliner that I ultimately sent back when my secretary said, "Oh, you look like a Mountie in that". She's Canadian and was trying to be nice, but that's not the look I was going for. Johnny Depp in a Stratoliner, or maybe it's a Borsolino, looks great....then again, he's wearing it with a t shirt at some Hollywood event. Maybe this is the trick. dress hats with casual clothes? But I wear a suit and wool top coat every day in the Fall and Winter.

Maybe this is just a rant, and I don't need any responses. I am not trying to be politically incorrect, but I can't be the only one on here that LOVES a well made fur felt fedora/trilby, but afraid to wear one in public...
I think guys look so handsome in a Fedora, especially with a grey suit ! I'm new too tho, soooo :)

Motorcyclist

Familiar Face
A lot of good advice in this thread. Sorry if someone mentioned this already but I'd also add.... Visit this forum frequently and in particular look at the thread on 'what hat are you wearing today' to see the styles of some of the other members. Warning: hats can become addictive and you already have a few.. the collection will grow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner