Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How To Pull Off A Fedora/Trilby Dress Hat

JackieMatra

A-List Customer
"I am obsessed with finding a light tan fur felt fedora with dark brown ribbon"
Have you checked out the Akubra Fed IV in the tawny fawn color? It's on The Hattery site and is probably one of the best deals around.

If the colors of the Akubra Federation IV aren't quite what you're looking for, then you may want to have a look at this:
Cappellaria Melegari Keith Richards hat
http://www.cappelleriamelegari.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=137&products_id=3307
http://www.cappelleriamelegari.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=137&products_id=4841

I am given to understand that they won't "antique" the hat, if you ask them not to.

Paul Trumbull

Familiar Face
Have you checked out the Akubra Fed IV in the tawny fawn color? It's on The Hattery site and is probably one of the best deals around.
I just checked that one out - thank you! I think hat I want the most is the Christy's Kent in light beige, BUT..with a larger (not too large, brim). I emailed them and asked if they could make their Knightsbridge fedora in that color, since they're all made one at a time...but no can do say the Brits... I am still learning the hat terminology. I don't like the tear drop drown as much as the "center dent" style. I love those light tan hats though - they look fantastic and would go with all of my coats...

Gabe Long

One of the Regulars
Akubra v Christy's (from someone who has both)
The Akubra wins by a landslide in terms of quality. You won't regret the Fed. It comes open crown meaning you can shape it anyway you like, if you like a center dent you got it.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
The Fed, a carbon gray, was my first purchase after discovering FL. After reading all the plaudits for it, I took a chance, especially since the lid would be coming from Australia and wouold be very expensive to return. But everything worked out great, and I bought a second one, the light gray ("Moonstone"), not long after. The Hattery people are very knowledgeable and helpful.

Paul Trumbull

Familiar Face
Akubra v Christy's (from someone who has both)
The Akubra wins by a landslide in terms of quality. You won't regret the Fed. It comes open crown meaning you can shape it anyway you like, if you like a center dent you got it.
Thank you, Gabe!!! I will check this out for sure then. I was tempted because the USD to British Pound was at the best rates in years... I appreciate these recommendations, fellas!

You're right, but it's awfully hard to find a good hat shop. Best to get a custom hat from someone like Art Fawcett and get the conformator (?) and find your exact size and head shape. I wish I'd done that when I first got into this, as I would've saved a pile of money.

I recognize that I am fortunate that there are several hat shops nearby, some good, some not so good. I've been in good ones and found nothing, and found a little gem in shops most of you probably would think are a joke. I also realize that it may mean I miss out on a great hat, but thems the breaks. For me, a hat is not just a matter of size. It has to not only fit, it has to fit "just right". Everyone's mileage varies.

Luis

One of the Regulars
You're right, but it's awfully hard to find a good hat shop. Best to get a custom hat from someone like Art Fawcett and get the conformator (?) and find your exact size and head shape. I wish I'd done that when I first got into this, as I would've saved a pile of money.

My second hat was from Art. I had first purchased a really nice condition Dobbs for about $50, but it wasn’t my true size. Got tired of it not fitting right, got real tired of the puny 2” brim, short crown and tapered sides. I would hardly wear it, they only thing that was good was the color and condition. Tried selling it on ebay and nothing.

Went to Art and voila! A perfect fitting hat right out of the box. Nothing like a good fitting hat just for you. It was worth the money.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
I will buy an Akubra in exactly one week - payday! :) Thank you!
Paul,

You're going to go for a Fed, then? The open crown hat will look rather daunting when you first open the box -- like the tall rounded "reservation hat" Hollywood used to dress American Indians in. And it might seem a little loose when you try it on. But after you shape it, it will fit better. Ask The Hattery to include some strips of foam -- the same stuff you find at the hardware store for weatherstripping. You can insert one or more of these between the hat and the sweatband for a better fit.

People here say that after wearing the Akubra for a while, the hat fits better and they no longer need the foam.

JackieMatra

A-List Customer
I own many Akubra and several Christys fur felt hats.
The Christys are lighter in weight, and I wear them in warmer weather, (over 60 degrees Fahrenheit).
The Akubra Federation IV and Campdrafts, along with my Stetsons, are the heaviest fur felt hats that I have and I only wear them when the temperature is below 60 degrees fahrenheit, unless I am only going to be standing around and not actually doing much of anything physically.

Village Hats in the United Kingdom is currently having a sale on all of their Christys of London hats.
http://www.hatsandcaps.co.uk/christys-hats-c_christys_hats/
Their current sale price for most of them is £79.95, down from their regular £99.95, which is less then Christys' prices of about £120 for most of their fur felt hats.
Village Hats also sells several Christys hats, such as the "Gangster Fedora", that Christys, themselves, do not offer. They also seem to have Christys' Adventurer/Poet in a color that Christys does not offer on their own website.

A warning about Christys of London fur felt bowler.
This hat is a complete full size smaller than it is marked.
Absolutely buy it one full size larger than your usual size.
Village Hats is completely correct about this, and it was confirmed by my own personal experience, unfortunately before I had encountered numerous customer reviews on other websites that all said the exact same thing.

Last edited:

William G.

One of the Regulars
The Akubra should be easy to shape and re-shape. I've re-shaped the brim on my Snowy River several times, as well as the dents—Snowy River is the imperial felt, I believe stiffer than a Fed IV.

Paul Trumbull

Familiar Face
Paul,

You're going to go for a Fed, then? The open crown hat will look rather daunting when you first open the box -- like the tall rounded "reservation hat" Hollywood used to dress American Indians in. And it might seem a little loose when you try it on. But after you shape it, it will fit better. Ask The Hattery to include some strips of foam -- the same stuff you find at the hardware store for weatherstripping. You can insert one or more of these between the hat and the sweatband for a better fit.

People here say that after wearing the Akubra for a while, the hat fits better and they no longer need the foam.

I think I found my winner...although, it's not the light beige. It's called just the Fedora (Open Crown) in burnt acorn I assume this is just a dark brown. I love the ribbon and lapel cord...and everything. This is it!
http://hatsdirect.com/products/fedora?variant=6431534533

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo